PDA

View Full Version : First Domestic Christmas decorations

Maggy
21-11-2003, 23:32
So anyone spotted any Crimbo trees in any windows?Any nutters who have already used up half the fairylights in the county to outdo the neighbours?With just 8 days until the 1st December someone must have got twitchy.

Incog :rudo:

Chimaera
21-11-2003, 23:37
Oh yes - I passed one the other day - Christmas tree in the window, lights up outside the house - even had the 'snow' sprayed on the windows!
Very - erm - 'tasteful'!! NOT!!!!! :sick:

Paul
21-11-2003, 23:42
Many of the shops around here have them, and have for a couple of weeks.

Bex
21-11-2003, 23:44
yeah we have decos in the local shops....waiting to pop into a village close to mine in which there is one house which always has a lot of lights (but they do it for charity) nemmy u might know the one i mean!!

Maggy
21-11-2003, 23:46
No I mean Domestic not retail.Retail have been around for weeks here.

Incog. :wavey:

Chimaera
21-11-2003, 23:46
Mind you, thinking about it, the best place to go near here is called Emerson Park - loads of huge houses there - and they try to outdo each other with their displays. One house even has a lighting company set up a special display every year - imported from America!!

Paul
21-11-2003, 23:49
No I mean Domestic not retail.Retail have been around for weeks here.
Oh, well you never said :p - I haven't seen any houses with lights yet but then I haven't really been paying that much attention. :)

Maggy
21-11-2003, 23:54
I find them all so distracting when I'm driving at night.
I've never forgotten the time I nearly killed myself because the twinkley lights I thought were crimbo decs outside someone's house were in fact a HVG lorry reversing out of a narrow side road.I slammed on the brakes just in time.

Incog. :shocking:

Maggy
21-11-2003, 23:55
Oh, well you never said :p - I haven't seen any houses with lights yet but then I haven't really been paying that much attention. :)

I thought the subject heading covered it. :shrug:

Paul K
21-11-2003, 23:58
Doing our outside lights ready for the 1st. Won't be switched on till then though. Tree will be up on the first and no earlier.
Wasn't our lights Coggy ;) Not that they aren't distracting LOL but we try to keep them out of line of sight for the motorists.

Bifta
22-11-2003, 00:21
So anyone spotted any Crimbo trees in any windows?Any nutters who have already used up half the fairylights in the county to outdo the neighbours?With just 8 days until the 1st December someone must have got twitchy.

Incog :rudo:

Absolutely, there's a handful of houses round here that have undergone a transformation and become better lit and more tacky than Las Vegas already.

Paul
22-11-2003, 00:24
I thought the subject heading covered it. :shrug:

:geez: You mean I have to read titles now as well as the posts .... :D

CaKe
22-11-2003, 00:30
Yup, there's a house over the road from us (we're in Priddy's Hard if anyone knows Gosport!) - they've had lights up since last weekend, possibly before - big snowman, big santa & fairy lights round the window :grind:

Still, maybe they're just following on from the ridiculously early light-switching-on in Commercial Road this year...

....bah, humbug. And I usually like Christmas...

Maggy
22-11-2003, 00:37
Yup, there's a house over the road from us (we're in Priddy's Hard if anyone knows Gosport!) - they've had lights up since last weekend, possibly before - big snowman, big santa & fairy lights round the window :grind:

Still, maybe they're just following on from the ridiculously early light-switching-on in Commercial Road this year...

....bah, humbug. And I usually like Christmas...

Yes I find it harder and harder to summon up enthusiasm for crimbo each year.
and yes I know Priddy's Hard-I live in Lee-on-Solent.

btw I LURVE the name.

kronas
22-11-2003, 00:52
call me an old fuddy duddy but christmas is driving me up the wall the idiotic music that gets played year in year out :2up:

Stuart
22-11-2003, 02:04
What about if Avril released a version of an old Xmas classic? Say "Rocking around the Christmas Tree".

kronas
22-11-2003, 02:10
What about if Avril released a version of an old Xmas classic? Say "Rocking around the Christmas Tree".

i have no bias that would be insane that will never happen :disturbd:

EDIT 3rd track in the link :disturbd:

http://www.maybethisxmas.com/home.html

Xaccers
22-11-2003, 08:40
Yes I find it harder and harder to summon up enthusiasm for crimbo each year.
and yes I know Priddy's Hard-I live in Lee-on-Solent.

btw I LURVE the name.

Well out in the stix of Funtley there's no lights up yet (just wait til dad realises ours aren't up :rolleyes: )

Graham
22-11-2003, 10:53
call me an old fuddy duddy but christmas is driving me up the wall the idiotic music that gets played year in year out :2up:

Oh gods, tell me about it!

But just pity the poor buggers who work in the shops who play an endless medley of "Merry Christmas Everybody" and "So here it is Merry Christmas" and "White Christmas" and....!!!

It's no wonder that by Christmas Eve they look like their brains have turned to cream cheese!!

kronas
22-11-2003, 11:00

But just pity the poor buggers who work in the shops who play an endless medley of "Merry Christmas Everybody" and "So here it is Merry Christmas" and "White Christmas" and....!!!

It's no wonder that by Christmas Eve they look like their brains have turned to cream cheese!!

yes no wonder some of them are already looking as though they are in that 'zone' already.........

marcsparks2002
22-11-2003, 11:23
Theres 3 sad acts round near us and theyve had theres up inside and out since the 1st november !Makes it so intolerable especially with 3 kids seeing them everday and moaning when we having ours up dad ...........bah bah bah humbug

dieselking
22-11-2003, 12:08
At christmas round here there are 5 - 6 houses in a dead end road which completely decorate their houses. They put Christmas lights all over their roofs, windows & garages. It look really nice especially with it being a group of houses all lit up together :)

Rubber Duck
22-11-2003, 16:05
I saw a Christmas tree in a house the other day on the main road & remember thinking Christmas seems to get early every year

Xaccers
22-11-2003, 16:12

Been there, suffered the agony of it in BHS cascades when I was a student.
Between songs some anoying bloke would come on and suggest shoppers did things like "grab a basque, go up to a male member of staff and ask him to try it on as he's the same build as your friend"
Worst thing was the christmas section with all those loud anoying kids toys

Dave Stones
22-11-2003, 16:28
Been there, suffered the agony of it in BHS cascades when I was a student.
Between songs some anoying bloke would come on and suggest shoppers did things like "grab a basque, go up to a male member of staff and ask him to try it on as he's the same build as your friend"
Worst thing was the christmas section with all those loud anoying kids toys

just how many male members of staff are the right size for a basque? :erm:

Maggy
22-11-2003, 17:19
just how many male members of staff are the right size for a basque? :erm:

I really must get my mind out of the gutter.

My son and I are laying bets on who will be first in our street.My money is on the guy across the road(who won last year) and his is on the family down the road who used to be the usual to win the title.

Incog. : :rudo:

at last a reason to use the rudo smilie.

CaKe
22-11-2003, 17:55
Theres 3 sad acts round near us and theyve had theres up inside and out since the 1st november !Makes it so intolerable especially with 3 kids seeing them everday and moaning when we having ours up dad ...........bah bah bah humbug

Ahhh, but has the guy that lives in Woodruff Avenue (not strictly Brighton, it's Hove actually *chuckle*) put his up yet ;)

Stuart
23-11-2003, 10:25

It's no wonder our Shop workers can be such a moody bunch.

Paul
23-11-2003, 13:40
Well I noticed at least one person in our street has lights up already.

Nemesis
01-12-2003, 15:00
yeah we have decos in the local shops....waiting to pop into a village close to mine in which there is one house which always has a lot of lights (but they do it for charity) nemmy u might know the one i mean!!
I know the one you mean, but they didn't do it last year :(

Maggy
01-12-2003, 15:07
I won the bet!! The bloke acroos the road was very busy behind drawn curtains all day yesterday.They are revealed in all their glory this morning.

Now to prise 50p out of my son.

So he did actually wait until the last day of the month.

I have noticed some restraint on the part of the locals.This time last year there were so many displays all over the village.Across the road is the first I've seen so far.

Incog. :rudo:

Bifta
01-12-2003, 15:16
It's december 1st, mine are going up tonight :p

paulyoung666
04-12-2003, 10:44
just done the tree now , mind you i nearly did do the lights , how is it however careful you are about putting the lights away carefully they always end up tangled up in the box :afire: :afire: :afire: , i wonder if there is a little gremlin that jumps in there when you are not looking and messes them up :grind: :grind: :grind: , anyway it is done and i have no doubt the wife will rearrange it for me when she gets in later :rolleyes: :p :p :p :p

Chris
04-12-2003, 10:55
Guess I should've searched before starting a thread on putting up Christmas lights ... :blush:

Any admins about that might like to merge these two threads together?

Paul K
06-12-2003, 16:58
Download Failed (1)
Sidewall and back
Download Failed (1)
Front
Will take better pics tomorrow when I have more time to spend outside :erm:

Chimaera
06-12-2003, 18:21
Oh WOW!!!

No wonder it's taken you so long to do.

Very nice - can I book an appointment for you to come and do mine?? LOL

Maggy
06-12-2003, 18:23
Only two houses in the street have bothered so far.They are very restrained compared to Pauls efforts.In fact this time last year the entire village was bedecked but hardly anyone has bothered thus far.

Incog. :)

Paul K
06-12-2003, 18:27
Oh WOW!!!

No wonder it's taken you so long to do.

Very nice - can I book an appointment for you to come and do mine?? LOL
You haven't seen the garden yet LOL and the outside walls are restrained, there are actually lights still in the loft ;)

Theodoric
07-12-2003, 12:39
I really must get my mind out of the gutter.

Oh, I don't know. To quote Oscar:

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

:)

Maggy
07-12-2003, 15:38
Oh, I don't know. To quote Oscar:

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."

:)

We are not talking social position here we are talking dirty minds.I bet Oscar has a better quote that fits. ;)

Theodoric
08-12-2003, 13:16
We are not talking social position here we are talking dirty minds.I bet Oscar has a better quote that fits. ;)
Actually, I think he was talking not so much about social position as all of us being involved in various grubby day to day activities. The 'looking up to stars' bit referred to idealism.

As an aside, was it Oscar who defined a cynic as someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing?

Bifta
08-12-2003, 13:32
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/irene.keeler/XmasLights1.JPG
Sidewall and back
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/irene.keeler/XmasLights2.JPG
Front
Will take better pics tomorrow when I have more time to spend outside :erm:

I saw something similar to this on a trip to Las Vegas.