PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid problems.....?

Pia
03-03-2006, 23:46
So sorry to start yet another health related thread... but this is something i've been so curious about for a while so i figure i might learn something from you guys...

I had a bit of post natal depression (i'm not ashamed of that:p:) after having my son, and everytime i went to my docs about this he always mentioned something about it possibly being a thyroid problem.. though always went for the depression route and put me on the prozac. I noticed he always looked down my throat when he was saying it could be a thyroid problem..

Anyway lately i've been noticing it feels quite swollen in my throat when i swallow but it doesn't hurt, just perhaps feels a little tighter. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I'm always tired and find it hard to get out of bed on a morning but my mind is overactive on a night( which makes me think just stress or depression anyway).
It's the tiredness though and the tight throat that makes me wonder if this could be a thyroid problem. I have nothing else wrong apart from feeling a bit groggy a lot.
Googling the symptoms etc confused me a bit so thanks for any repiles i might recieve here:)

zing_deleted
03-03-2006, 23:49
Thyroid is a gland that excretes the hormone thyrotoxin(not sure about this name though) that I believe regulates the metabolism.So when its underactive you feel tired etc

Edit good old wilki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid

Pia
03-03-2006, 23:52
Metabolism... so it could also be the reason i've put weight on?

zing_deleted
03-03-2006, 23:54
if underactive yes

Angua
04-03-2006, 08:52
Neighbour had Graves Disease which gave her depression, caused problems with her eyesight and made relaxing difficult. Caused by an "overactive" thyroid amongst other things (now she has had it removed things are on a much more even keel, she doesn't need the glasses any more either). Which may be why the Dr checked down your throat when you went in with PND just to rule it out of their disagnosis.

budwieser
04-03-2006, 13:41
Thyroid is a gland that excretes the hormone thyrotoxin(not sure about this name though) that I believe regulates the metabolism.So when its underactive you feel tired etc

Edit good old wilki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid
I think you`re thinking of Thyroxin mate.;)
I have to take it everyday.

marky
04-03-2006, 13:57
Just ask the Doctor for a blood test, to see if you have a thyroid problem,
If so It will take a few months and blood tests to get the dosage just right.
Ps. my wife is on 100mcg a day and feels great now ;)

Pia
04-03-2006, 14:06
Thanks guys, i'll see my doc on Monday, no doubt he'll fob me off with depression again though!

brows
02-06-2009, 13:43
Hey,

Does any member here have more information about thyroid problems and other thyroid disease issues? :)

Salu
02-06-2009, 14:08
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Pages/bodymap.aspx

This is a good place to start.

Nidge
03-06-2009, 04:15
Metabolism... so it could also be the reason i've put weight on?

That is a slow T3 thyroid if your putting weight on. Your thyroid goes from T1 right up to T5. Your best having something to eat as soon as you wake up in the morning, this will ramp your T3 thyroid in to gear for the whole morning. You need food to get your metabolic rate going.

Pia
03-06-2009, 11:51
Wow i didn't even remember starting this thread!

I think my putting weight on was probably to do with lack of exercise and spending too much time on CF :blush:. Still haven't shifted it and am currently at my heaviest ever :eek:.

Gary L
03-06-2009, 14:51
I know someone with an underactive thyroid. she gets confused and forgetful. she blames it all on that.

Salu
04-06-2009, 15:14
Wow i didn't even remember starting this thread!

I think my putting weight on was probably to do with lack of exercise and spending too much time on CF :blush:. Still haven't shifted it and am currently at my heaviest ever :eek:.

Out of interest; did you get to the bottom of your problem?

Pia
05-06-2009, 11:08
Out of interest; did you get to the bottom of your problem?

No, the doctor wouldn't entertain my idea that it could be anything but depression, so i was given a few different types of anti depressant over the years, none of which i took religiously because i'm bad at remembering! (That's why i've never taken the pill)

Angua
05-06-2009, 13:01
I read somewhere that with antidepressants it is important to take them regularly and for a few weeks before they will build up sufficiently to have a useful result. May be your hit and miss methods have not allowed them to work properly.

Barewolf
06-06-2009, 23:36
Hi Pia, Sorry to hear your troubles.

My gran suffered thyroid problems and I think I have an issue with mine but my tests were normal last time i had my bloods done.

Usually 1st sign of trouble is weight, never heard of thyroid trouble affecting the neck as in being painful or difficulty swallowing though, might be wrong.

Hope you get it sorted xx

fireman328
07-06-2009, 20:11
My late wife sadly died of non hodgkins lymphoma which affects the thirod glands

Cobbydaler
07-06-2009, 21:15
Hey,

Does any member here have more information about thyroid problems and other thyroid disease issues? :)

Godd patient information pages about hyperthyroidism here (http://www.british-thyroid-association.org/info-for-patients/Docs/bta_patient_hyperthyroidism.pdf) and hypothyroidism here (http://www.british-thyroid-association.org/info-for-patients/Docs/bta_patient_hypothyroidism.pdf)...