PDA

View Full Version : Requesting a new modem!

Web-Junkie
03-03-2006, 17:18
I'm round at a mates house as he's been having trouble with his Teryon TJ210 modem, slow browsing mainly and timeouts and disconnections in online games, he's heavily into FFXI. All this was working a week or so ago, and through a Linksys router, now it's a bit ropey!

Plugged in my Surfboard 4100 to test and seems OK with that on the web surfing through the router, so suggests something up with the Teryon? Looked in the SB Diags and the Downstream signal level is +13dBmv on his connection, is that OK for the Teryon?

Also, is it possible to ask NTL to swap his modem for an NTL one as his was a rented modem at the time he signed up?

Chris W
03-03-2006, 19:58
It is always possible to ask :)

however, for the problem to be resolved, your friend will need to contact ntl and run through their diagnostic process. If ntl decide that it is a faulty modem an engineer will be sent and it will be replaced.

Web-Junkie
03-03-2006, 23:40
Yep, he's going to call NTL tomorrow to report a fault.

Seems to be a downstream power level problem as my modem has been working on his connection for about 6 hours without a problem, as soon as I unplugged mine and put the Teryon back in then it was obvious something was wrong, timeouts on webpages, stop/start downloads in Newsbin and the 'Cable' light occasionally going out and flashing before lighting back up, suggesting a disconnection.

Seems my 4100 is more tolerant of the higher downstream power levels as mine is +16dBmv and only acts the tw@ on the odd occasion, but that's in another thread!

Will see what happens when he's reported the fault.

Racingdick
04-03-2006, 09:40
Just booked an engineer for your mate!
hope all goes well and connection is back as it should be ASAP!!
Rich
:D:angel::D

Web-Junkie
04-03-2006, 15:01
Sweet, thanks Rich :)

Hmmm... Wonder if the engineer will nip to the green box one street down and sort my power level out ;)

Web-Junkie
08-03-2006, 19:43
OK, Engineer arrived around 3pm at my mates (can't remember exactly) took one look at the Teryon modem and said "That's your problem"!

Apparently these Teryons can't handle the new QAM signal NTL are using since about a week ago and are refusing the config file or something like that.

So the modem was swapped for a new NTL 250 and the power level dropped via a 6dB attenuator as this was too high also, something I suspected all along!, it's now about 4dB.

So now everything is up and running and seems OK so far, the Engineer was an extremely nice chap who knew what he was doing :) big thumbs up to him :tu:.

Now he can play FFXI without disconnecting and crap like that!