PDA

View Full Version : How will you die?

Salu
02-03-2006, 16:37
Here's an interesting question...

Considering that you know your body, lifestyle and family history better than anyone, take a look at yourself and consider from what cause you think you are most likely to die from?

Then reflect on whether you are doing all you can to avoid this or if you are impersonating an ostrich?

Paul
02-03-2006, 16:43
Die ?

smicer07
02-03-2006, 16:45
This is a cheerful thread!

Derek
02-03-2006, 16:46
Going from family history probably a heart attack or stroke but not till I'm into my 70's or 80's.

As it is I'm quite fit and eat fairly healthily (very healthily compared to the West of Scotland norm!) so I'm not measuring up a wooden overcoat just yet.

homealone
02-03-2006, 16:48
you'll get towny posting his peachy pic, again, Salu ;)

- as I am hypertensive I guess it will be a stroke, seeing as you ask ;)

I've packed in smoking, reduced salt intake & get regular exercise cycling 5 miles a day to work & back, to supplement the ACE inhibitor :angel:

ikthius
02-03-2006, 16:52
I would say Heart problems as mainly that takes out the majority of the family.

My diet is not the best, although I am a fussy eater, but salt is a major thing in my diet, I know I should cut down, but no way.

I am for the here and now, I don't want to be that old someone wants to put me in a home and have someone feed/bath me and other horrible duties.

if it is not Heart probs then it will be lung cancer as the people around me smoke like chimneys, I don't but passive is just as aggresive.....

but to be honest, I don't really care when and how it happens, just as long as the reaper dont mess it up...... :D

ik

punky
02-03-2006, 16:59
Salu, are you sure you are a doctor and not a market researcher? ;)

I would say heart diesase, in my early 60s. I am still very overweight (although i'm working to change that, lost 3 stone so far).

If you ask my bird, she's say car accident though :angel:

Although, doesn't sound like a bad idea. Being 80+ and:

1. defecating in your own pants because you can't get to the toilet in time
2. eating tins of expired cat food because you can't afford anything better
3. not meeting anyone because noone cares or everyone who does is dead, or you are too senile to hold a conversation with
4. living in a s**thole because you can't look after yourself
5. not being able to see/talk to anyone because you are blind or deaf

... etc. is not really living is it? Its just being alive for the sake of it. I'd rather top myself than go through that, living for the sake of it. Of course its not like that for all old people, but for quite a few it is. Seeing what some people have to go through, i'd rather top myself in a blaze of glory at least while I am still physically able to.

Halcyon
02-03-2006, 17:01
Interesting topic, but so glooomy to think about.
I dont even like thinking about death at all.
I'm off out of this thread.

Chris
02-03-2006, 17:01
you'll get towny posting his peachy pic, again, Salu ;)

Let's just say I think anyone who needs to make a trip to A&E should probably visit Salu's department, they are obviously not very busy up there at the moment. ;) :D :p:

zovat
02-03-2006, 17:02
Given the current environment, I am most likely to die either:

a) in some country that Tony decided to send the reserve forces to again...
b) in a car crash (I do a lot of driving)
c) from cancer (I am an almost ex smoker - one or two every now and again)
d) from heart desease brought on by lack of exercise/too much weight
so how do I avoid them ?

I could completely quit smoking - (working on that)
I could leave the reserve forces (not likely - I feel it to be my duty)
I could not drive so much (working on that with my manager).
I could cut down on my fat intake and eat more healthily (already doing that)
I could take more regular exercise (happening in conjunction with re-starting reserve forces after a break for the birth of my son).

All in all - not a lot I can do that I have not already begun - and according to most I should live into my 80s or even 90s..

And I hope to die in my sleep with my family around me ;)

MadGamer
02-03-2006, 17:04
Diabeties

dilli-theclaw
02-03-2006, 17:10
I don't doubt that I will die really horribly.

ikthius
02-03-2006, 17:10
I might get electrocuted from a nine volt battery :D

ik

bopdude
02-03-2006, 17:11
Interesting, 41 this year, fairly average fittness, although I have lapsed into laziness in the last 2 years, I eat the wrong foods at the wrong time due to job :(

So in answer to the question, probably heart related / stroke... depending on tests results due in a few weeks, what am I doing about it ???

Changing jobs very soon, gonna start eating right again and get exercising again :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
02-03-2006, 17:16
me v v v

Ramrod
02-03-2006, 17:29
Heart attack or stroke :mis:

MadGamer
02-03-2006, 17:34
:hugs:

punky
02-03-2006, 17:37

Yeah, right... Its cirrhosis or liver failure for you matey. :)

bopdude
02-03-2006, 17:41
Yeah, right... Its cirrhosis or liver failure for you matey. :)
Why, he only drinks at weekends now, and boy,what a weekend we've got coming up :drunk:
I'd like to revise my cause of death........................

Death by L.A.N. Party :dozey: :D

Big Gamer
02-03-2006, 17:47
I will probably die when I get to read my next Gas BIll:shocked:

punky
02-03-2006, 18:03
I'd like to revise my cause of death........................

Death by L.A.N. Party :dozey: :D

Now that is going down with a blaze of glory. Marge might not be too happy dragging my carcass back in her purple baby though.... :scratch:

I will probably die when I get to read my next Gas BIll:shocked:

:rofl:

Chimaera
02-03-2006, 18:09
I'd like to die swinging form the chandeliers! :rofl:
More likely to be a heart attack or stroke. :(

Marge
02-03-2006, 19:04
Now that is going down with a blaze of glory. Marge might not be too happy dragging my carcass back in her purple baby though.... :scratch:

Should read: Marge won't be dragging my carcass back in her purple baby ;)

I'll die in some kind of freak accident, I'll either blow myself up cos my boiler exploded or I'll fall down the stairs head first or maybe I'll roll my car which in a convertible won't be the wisest move ever :erm:

or, failing all that, I reckon I'm a heart attack victim :(

danielf
02-03-2006, 19:08
How and when I don't know, but I'm hoping to go like my Grandfather: falling asleep on a park bench in the spring sun while watching some children play (at the age of 87). I think his lifestyle was healthier than mine though...

bb31
02-03-2006, 19:17
Alzheimers..........can u die of that?

ikthius
02-03-2006, 20:59
Alzheimers..........can u die of that?

you can........I think, what was the question again?????????

ik

danielf
02-03-2006, 21:01

ik

The question was: Did you switch the cooker off after heating your milk?

ikthius
02-03-2006, 21:05

ik

but I don't like milk?

ik

danielf
02-03-2006, 21:10
but I don't like milk?

ik

Time to order that wooden overcoat I think...

carlingman
02-03-2006, 23:14
:(

Well I would like to die like my grandfather.

He went peacefully in his sleep, unlike the screaming passengers in the car he was driving.

:D

Sorry but such a morbid thread needed an injection of humour all be it warped humour.

:D

Anonymouse
02-03-2006, 23:45
I think I remember reading somewhere you get your longevity (or lack thereof) from your maternal grandparents; mine were both in their eighties and died of nothing more, really, than old age. The same is true of all my relatives who've died in my lifetime; my great-grandmother died when I was a toddler, aged 92. We have no history, thankfully, of heart, lung or any-other-major-organ-disease in my family, on either side. Only one relative I know of - one of my aunts - had cancer. My mum's 72 in March, but she can still get around under her own steam without anything like a walking stick. Not very fast, it's true, but still. ;)

I'm 40, and I ride a bicycle to and from work (about 15 minutes' riding from home to work); a visit to my parents takes about twice that. You know that advert about keeping your heart healthy, the one that says 'do something every day that scares you'? Well, I do...I get on my bike and ride it on Bolton's roads, twice a day! :Yikes:

I consider myself very healthy, I've never smoked, I rarely drink and I get regular exercise and a reasonably balanced diet. The last time I had a medical exam, heart, lungs and blood pressure were all spot-on. So barring accidents, bird flu or some catastrophe you ain't gettin' rid of me for at least another 40 years, hopefully more like 60 given that medical knowledge will surely improve in that time, and I hope I'm still together mentally by then. I'll just have to keep doing the Sudoku puzzles in the papers. :p:

Enuff
03-03-2006, 00:01
can u die from addiction to masterbation? :disturbd:

AndrewJ
03-03-2006, 00:22
With the curries i eat.... probally by blowing myself up from holding in a curry fart.

Enuff
03-03-2006, 00:37
With the curries i eat.... probally by blowing myself up from holding in a curry fart.Isn't this known as spontanious currybustion? :D

AndrewJ
03-03-2006, 00:50
With the curries i eat.... probally by blowing myself up from holding in a curry fart.Isn't this known as spontanious currybustion? :D

I just thought it was known as the nuclear fart.

Chrysalis
03-03-2006, 02:36
depressing thread, I will say i want to live past 70 and die in my sleep so I dont feel pain and know my life is seconds away from ending.

Nidge
03-03-2006, 05:59
How will I die?? I'll die with a fag in one hand and a beer in the other hand with a 21 year old leggy blonde doing her stuff zapping all the life out of me.

Well you did ask.:D :D :D

Salu
03-03-2006, 10:12
To the tune of SPAM.

"Pun pun pun pun pun"

Isn't this known as spontanious currybustion? :D

Be careful. It can send you into a Korma....:)

can u die from addiction to masterbation?

Only if you can spell.... :)

Derek
03-03-2006, 10:14
Only if you can spell.... :)

Maybe his eyesight is bad and he can't see the keyboard anymore? :erm:

Stuart
03-03-2006, 11:06

ik

Or (assuming your cooker has a knackered pilot light and is Gas), did you light the cooker after turning it on?

SOSAGES
03-03-2006, 11:21
wierdo

Stuart
03-03-2006, 11:34
Who?

Pia
03-03-2006, 11:45
Most of the women in my family have apparently died of cancer in their 40's and 50's. And my biological dad died of cancer at about 37...

Wonder what my fate might be then:dozey::disturbd:

ikthius
03-03-2006, 12:03

ik
Or (assuming your cooker has a knackered pilot light and is Gas), did you light the cooker after turning it on?

I just use the liquidiser now, I think, years ago my food did taste funny, or was that a few days ago, I can't remember.

ik

j52c
03-03-2006, 12:23
happilly I hope........................

Chris
03-03-2006, 13:51
Hardened arteries from the Big Mac Meal I just ate. Oh, the guilt ... I don't know what came over me. :erm: :D

ScaredWebWarrior
03-03-2006, 13:54
Maybe his eyesight is bad and he can't see the keyboard anymore? :erm:What is he operating the keyboard with? :Yikes:

punky
03-03-2006, 14:02
I think i'll die when I see the other half after she reads the happy thoughts thread :angel: :Sprint:

ScaredWebWarrior
03-03-2006, 14:08
Here's an interesting question...Maybe, but one I try not to dwell on too often.
Considering that you know your body, lifestyle and family history better than anyone, take a look at yourself and consider from what cause you think you are most likely to die from?There is no real pattern - a few family members have died of cancer, but it seems nowadays that just about everyone has lost someone in their (extended) family has lost someone to the big C.

My father died as a result of a brain haemorrage - that is, that actually didn't kill him, but he never really recovered and died about 6 months after. Without going into details, I'd rather not go that way.
Then reflect on whether you are doing all you can to avoid this or if you are impersonating an ostrich?Does anyone do all they can to be as healthy as possible? Does that actually prevent you dying? Sometimes even apparently healthy - and young - people just collapse and die.

Our modern lives make it very difficult to live a natural, healthy lifestyle. Going to the gym is a poor substitute for spending a similar amount of time outdoors. Our food is over-refined and full of additives.

It's hard to escape - that isn't the same as ignoring it.

Chris
03-03-2006, 14:11
There is also the fact that improved diagnosis means it is a lot easier these days to say 'he died of x'. Once upon a time anyone over 60 would just have 'died of old age'.

ScaredWebWarrior
03-03-2006, 14:16
There is also the fact that improved diagnosis means it is a lot easier these days to say 'he died of x'. Once upon a time anyone over 60 would just have 'died of old age'.Jolly good point.

I was wondering the other day - has cancer always been with us, in some form or other, or is it a 'modern plague' caused by all the unnatural stuff we are exposed to all our lives?

For example, skin cancer. The Sun has been shining for millennia, yet sun block is a quite recent invention.

basa
03-03-2006, 14:37
Jolly good point.

I was wondering the other day - has cancer always been with us, in some form or other, or is it a 'modern plague' caused by all the unnatural stuff we are exposed to all our lives?

For example, skin cancer. The Sun has been shining for millennia, yet sun block is a quite recent invention.

Just musings, but .... I suppose say 100 years ago the average life expectancy would be (what) 45 years. This probably isn't late enough in a human life to develop cancer and the multitudinous other 'modern' diseases which we eventually succumb to nowadays.

What did people die of 100 years ago ?? (basa nips of to answer some company emails and google a bit :D )
:Sprint:

Stuart
03-03-2006, 14:41
I think i'll die when I see the other half after she reads the happy thoughts thread :angel: :Sprint:

So, your answer to "How will you die?" is "I'll die in pain at the hands of my other half."?

Enuff
03-03-2006, 14:54
Only if you can spell.... :) I wasnt concentrating on the spelling at the time... if u get my drift? also, I hsdk ksy oyt smtrs! :D

Chris
03-03-2006, 15:09
I have removed a little smut from this thread. Move along now please, nothing to see here ...

:)

Escapee
04-03-2006, 08:44
I dont really know how I am going to die based on family history, it all seems varied.

I would prefer to be very healthy live to 87 and get shot by a jealous husband.:D

greencreeper
04-03-2006, 15:20
God has it in for me :( I'll no doubt die of old age in a nursing home, smelling of pee whilst wearing someone else's teeth. No doubt in clashing shades of brown and orange nylon. Knocked around by the staff. Denied my medication and kept quiet with sedatives. Avoid it? Well there's suicide or living life to the full.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

I'm waiting for someone to say, "Like Elsie". Laid out like a queen. Has Shaun posted yet? :erm: :p:

Bex
04-03-2006, 16:58
i am likely to die from heart attack/heart diease as it is on both sides of my family, my grandad (maternal grandad) died of a heart attack young, and i think my paternal grandfather did too (never meet him)
or the other likely one in my family is cancer..... unforuntately.

steps i have taken, well, I have started excerising more, am loosing weight by watching what i eat and have pretty much given up drinking.
but still havent given up the cigs though.... cant do everything at once

Orior
04-03-2006, 20:31
Anyone else want to go as a 95-year old suicide bomber saving the united states of Europe from destruction by Ghenghis Khan the XXIV?