PDA

View Full Version : 10Meg 75Gig Cap Is it Strict?

kriscorrie
02-03-2006, 16:20
Hi there,

im considering upgrading my broadband service to 10Meg, i see from the description that there is a 75GB Download Cap, how strict are NTL at implementing that?

thanks for your responses

Paul
02-03-2006, 16:21
At the moment, they aren't - in the future (possibly in the next six/nine months) it will be strictly imposed.

LemonyBrainAid
02-03-2006, 16:21
I heard if you go over by a small amount (such as 5gb/7gb) then they will send you a letter.. if you go over by more than 20gb i suspect they will put you down to 512k

punky
02-03-2006, 17:25
At the moment, they aren't - in the future (possibly in the next six/nine months) it will be strictly imposed.

Like Lemony said, I thought they have already put people who have breached the cap onto the 512k naughty users tariff?

Paul
02-03-2006, 17:30
Like Lemony said, I thought they have already put people who have breached the cap onto the 512k naughty users tariff?The only people that this has been done to is those who really abused the system (like many hundreds of GB per month, and even then I think they were warned first, but chose to ignore the warning).

To repeat - the question was "how strict are they", the answer remains "They aren't [strict]".

punky
02-03-2006, 17:31
Like Lemony said, I thought they have already put people who have breached the cap onto the 512k naughty users tariff?The only people that this has been done to is those who really abused the system (like many hundreds of GB per month, and even then I think they were warned first, but chose to ignore the warning).

To repeat - the question was "how strict are they", the answer remains "They aren't [strict]".

Cheers for clearing that up mate. :tu:

skywave
06-03-2006, 22:39
Like Lemony said, I thought they have already put people who have breached the cap onto the 512k naughty users tariff?
when do they go back to their origonal connection, how long are they in the sin bin for?

Bill C
06-03-2006, 22:41
Like Lemony said, I thought they have already put people who have breached the cap onto the 512k naughty users tariff? when do they go back to their origonal connection, how long are they in the sin bin for?

Some are still on it from when they were put on it last year :(.

zing_deleted
06-03-2006, 22:42
I have not changed my download habits much and have heard nothing yet

looselipsuk
07-03-2006, 19:46
I do wonder sometimes what people do with their connection.
I belong to picture sharing groups which is all done by email and is high volume. I also do a little p2p file sharing and also create and share email stationery in groups as well.
Since I installed Net Meter on the 23/01/2006 my total upload and download is only 35.499GB.
I am more than happy with a 75GB limit as I doubt I will ever come near it.

skywave
14-03-2006, 20:23
How do people DL so much, are they doing this from P2P's? There is no way they could be getting so much files from other websites, unless they are pay sites.

Bill C
14-03-2006, 21:36
How do people DL so much, are they doing this from P2P's? There is no way they could be getting so much files from other websites, unless they are pay sites.
Newsgroups give you the ability to max your connection 24 hours a day if you wanted to.

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

I do wonder sometimes what people do with their connection.
I belong to picture sharing groups which is all done by email and is high volume. I also do a little p2p file sharing and also create and share email stationery in groups as well.
Since I installed Net Meter on the 23/01/2006 my total upload and download is only 35.499GB.
I am more than happy with a 75GB limit as I doubt I will ever come near it.
On my 2 meg unlimited i can sometimes do about 160 gig in a month sometimes as little as 40 gig a month. Mainly first run TV shows from across the pond that are not being shown over here. And HD tv shows like stargate which can be up to 2 gig per ep. I honestly think 160 gig for a large household like mine is not that large i know of some that can hit 300 gig a month :Yikes:

Chrysalis
14-03-2006, 22:12
yeah the content is out there its knowing where to find it.

hoggyspuds
14-03-2006, 22:18
how's the limit measured? From the 1st day of the month till the last?

nemesis01
15-03-2006, 19:02
i have been told be several ntl staff that the "naughty" users will not be able to choose their own service level for the forseeable user, however I do know that the current 512K service those users are on is being upgraded to 1MB at the end of april.

IanUK
15-03-2006, 19:16
Newsgroups for TV and of course pron ;)
Games sites (Gamespot/FilePlanet/Filefront etc) for demo's and movies.

Its very easy to reach 75 gig these days, my average is about 50 gig though and will prob be less once Lost & Medium finish in a week or so !

chrisjones
16-03-2006, 19:31
Being a fan of two TV shows that are currently on an 'extended break' I dont see my download amounts to be that huge over the coming months - thinking of upgrading from 2mb to 10mb .. choices choices hmmmm :-)

skywave
20-03-2006, 20:11
Being a fan of two TV shows that are currently on an 'extended break' I dont see my download amounts to be that huge over the coming months - thinking of upgrading from 2mb to 10mb .. choices choices hmmmm :-)
What are news groups?

handyman
20-03-2006, 20:15

would that be invasion and lost ;)

Paradox26
20-03-2006, 20:16
What are news groups?
Oh god! Now were gunna have to go off topic and dive into the world of binaries!

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Should give you an idea.

Just out of interest do you use ntl's servers or paid ones?

skywave
21-03-2006, 20:16
Oh god! Now were gunna have to go off topic and dive into the world of binaries!

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

Should give you an idea.

Just out of interest do you use ntl's servers or paid ones?
Im with telewest.