PDA

View Full Version : Unsure...

MadGamer
21-11-2003, 17:47
Hi all, i recently upgraded my free version of Zone Alarm. Now ive finished the installation and here is my prob.

1) I have the folder called startup in the start menu
2) I ran the msconfig tool just to check where it had been placed.

Now Zone Alarm is usually classed as a "Common Startup" item but when i looked in the startup folder in the start menu i couldn't see Zone Alarm there.

When i log on to Windows (XP) it usually comes up with a box saying the following.

"Zone Alarm has loaded and your computer is now protected"

Now i don't get this box appear at all.

Also is there a folder called "Common Startup" in XP located on my HDD?

Thanks
WNA

ic14
21-11-2003, 17:49
Well when you turn on your pc is ZoneAlarm running?
If not just add it to your statup folder in your start menu

MadGamer
21-11-2003, 17:55
Well when you turn on your pc is ZoneAlarm running?
If not just add it to your statup folder in your start menu yes it is but i normally get the dialog mentioned in my first post.

bopdude
21-11-2003, 18:09
Hi I can't remember exactly but isn't there an option within zonealarm to start on booting of your pc ??

If so it may be you did not check this when you installed when you upgraded :)

Just a thought

EDIT: I just re-read youre post and it is running.... mmmm more thinks needed

Graham
21-11-2003, 20:26
Just a suggestion, but have you virus checked recently?

Some viruses etc will try to disable ZA and virus checking programs.

Sociable
21-11-2003, 21:02
Best guess is that the earlier setup effectively tried to load it twice as it doesnt need to be in the start up folder to be activated on startup.

Reason for no notification now is that it has already loaded before it reaches those listed in "Startup"

snuffs99
24-11-2003, 20:01
I also use zone alarm and mine dosn't pop up anymore to tell me that it is running, but it is, as long as you have it in the taskbar then it is running so i wouldn't worry.

If it is running it will be here:

START--ALL PROGRAMS--ACCESSORIES--SYSTEM TOOLS--SYSTEM INFOMATION--SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT--STARTUP PROGRAMS. and as long as Zone Labs Client is there then it is running on startup, so don't panic. :)