PDA

View Full Version : A question for Salu.

Maggy
02-03-2006, 15:33
Dear Salu,

Is dizzyness a symptom of anything really serious like coronory thrombosis?

I ask because for the last two days I've been suffering this during the night and when I wake up in the morning .I roll over and immediately the room is spinning.However after a couple of hours or so it does wear off.I'm also concerned because my mother was suffering bouts of dizzyness during the 6 months before she died of a coronory at 58(I'm 53).

She was being tested for Meniere's disease before she died but hadn't had the results when she died.

Or am I just having an over active imagination?

Salu
02-03-2006, 15:55
Dizziness can be a symptoms of a heart attack but only when the heart is compromised as a result of the attack. It wouldn't fluctuate and would be regarded as a late sign and doesn't really match the symptoms that you describe. :)

As usual my answer would be to go to your GP but what you are describing could be something as innocuous as an ear infection.

There are many causes of dizziness from postural hypotension to ear infection to Menieres. Meniere's is not diagnosable from a set of symptoms as they differ from person to person. What you do is exclude other causes and are then left with a differential diagnosis of Menieres.

Have you had a sore throat or have one now?
Are you experiencing any hearing loss? (I SAID, ARE YOU EXPERIENCING......:rofl:)
Are you getting any tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
Do you have any history of Thyroid problems?

These are some of the questions that you will be asked but it's not something that I will be able to diagnose over the web I'm afraid. It's too complex as there are many causes and tests required.

Feel free to bounce any questions you have off me though. I can understand your concern regarding your mum.

Angua
02-03-2006, 16:02
If someone else is driving in an abrupt manner does it make the dizziness worse? A couple of people I know suffered with Laberithytis (sp) which seems to be where the fluid in the ear gets a bit sluggish and so what your eye sees and what your balance tell you doesn't match until you have been still for a moment. Ma in law noticed it when she got out of be one morning.

Maggy
02-03-2006, 19:00
Dizziness can be a symptoms of a heart attack but only when the heart is compromised as a result of the attack. It wouldn't fluctuate and would be regarded as a late sign and doesn't really match the symptoms that you describe. :)

Good!

As usual my answer would be to go to your GP but what you are describing could be something as innocuous as an ear infection.

I hope not.

There are many causes of dizziness from postural hypotension to ear infection to Menieres. Meniere's is not diagnosable from a set of symptoms as they differ from person to person. What you do is exclude other causes and are then left with a differential diagnosis of Menieres.

Have you had a sore throat or have one now?

No.
Are you experiencing any hearing loss? (I SAID, ARE YOU EXPERIENCING......:rofl:)

Pardon? No.:)
Are you getting any tinnitus (ringing in the ears)

No.
Do you have any history of Thyroid problems?

No.Sometimes I wish I could use the excuse for my weight problem but no.

These are some of the questions that you will be asked but it's not something that I will be able to diagnose over the web I'm afraid. It's too complex as there are many causes and tests required.

Fair enough. :tu:

Feel free to bounce any questions you have off me though. I can understand your concern regarding your mum.

Well thank you for your help and prompt response.If the condition continues I'm off to the doctor's surgery to ask to have my blood pressure tested at the very least..I've never had high blood pressure even when pregnant.I have indeed been given to understand that it may be inclined to be on the low side.Could that cause such giddyness?

:)

Graham M
02-03-2006, 19:09
Well thank you for your help and prompt response.If the condition continues I'm off to the doctor's surgery to ask to have my blood pressure tested at the very least..I've never had high blood pressure even when pregnant.I have indeed been given to understand that it may be inclined to be on the low side.Could that cause such giddyness?

I expect so. Is it more of a light headedness or a proper dizziness?

Maggy
02-03-2006, 20:24

I expect so. Is it more of a light headedness or a proper dizziness?

It's the world spinning type of dizzyness.Very unpleasant...:sick:

Graham M
02-03-2006, 21:53
I would imagine (and this is not a professional medical oppinion mind you) that if it was related to the circulatory system then itd be more of a light headed feeling. I'd be more inclined to say that it was something to do with balance. But again, not professional, go seek help.

Ramrod
02-03-2006, 22:06
Do you get dizzy if you go from lying down to sitting up or visa versa?--or if you just turn your head all the way to one side (or the other) whilst sitting?

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Have you had a cold (or similar) recently?

Salu
02-03-2006, 22:42
I don't this this is to do with blood pressure. One thing that suggests not is the turning over in bed problem. This sounds more like a labyrinthitis/vertigo/inner ear balance problem than a blood pressure one.

Maggy
03-03-2006, 00:58
Do you get dizzy if you go from lying down to sitting up or visa versa?--or if you just turn your head all the way to one side (or the other) whilst sitting?

---------- Post added at 22:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Have you had a cold (or similar) recently?

I'm getting it lying down when I roll over and when I first sit up for an hour or so.

Will be off to bed soon(I'm rather put off bed at the moment though).

No cold since before Crimbo.However I do suffer from catarrh especially at night.I get a very annoying phlegmy cough when I lie down sometimes.

Salu
03-03-2006, 10:17
How did it go last night then Incog?

Maggy
03-03-2006, 10:28
How did it go last night then Incog?

No so bad especiallly if I concentrate on keeping my head still and moving the body instead.

I'm also getting over it rather quicker this morning.However I have to work most of next week.Shall have to try and see a doctor.Won't get an appointment today now(:rolleyes:) and can't prebook an appointment(:mad:) so I'll have to phone on Monday morning now.Probably by then it will be better.

Trouble is I have to work 4 days next week so I may have to rethink my day's arrangement and instead of driving hubby to work and myself back at 6 am (40 minute trip) before getting off to work at 8 I'll taxi it until I feel better.I can't drive while I suffer from this that badly in the morning.

Graham M
03-03-2006, 10:37
That sounds sensible Coggy

Salu
03-03-2006, 13:11
Coggy.

Have you banged your head recently?
What happens if you turn your head quickly to one side or indeed the other. I don't mean repeatedly....
Are you being/feeling sick?
Get someone to look at your eyes when you are experiencing these symptoms (but are remaining still) and get them to tell you if your eyes are moving rapidly (flickering side to side) This can be subtle...
If it is a viral labyrinthitis, which I suspect it is, then you can expect it to last around a fortnight.
I wouldn't recommend driving to be honest....but you will need to be examined first before this can be advised.

Maggy
03-03-2006, 15:34
Coggy.

Have you banged your head recently?

No.:)
What happens if you turn your head quickly to one side or indeed the other. I don't mean repeatedly....
When I do that it just seem to get much worse.When I stop it subsides.This is only for the first 20 minutes after waking and then begins to ease off.It may return if I bend over or look down.After about two hours of getting up it's almost gone.By the time the morning is finished it's gone(apart from bending over too quickly)
Are you being/feeling sick?

Only at first when the world is spinning.When that subsides I'm fine.
Get someone to look at your eyes when you are experiencing these symptoms (but are remaining still) and get them to tell you if your eyes are moving rapidly (flickering side to side) This can be subtle...

I would but they have been up and gone from the house these last three mornings.I'll ask tomorrow if I've still got it.

If it is a viral labyrinthitis, which I suspect it is, then you can expect it to last around a fortnight.

How the hell did I catch it?I've had no symptoms of illness and not even a cold or sore throat.Though today I my left eye keeps watering.But no red eye,just annoying cattarrh thus far.

I wouldn't recommend driving to be honest....but you will need to be examined first before this can be advised.

I'd certainly rather be safe than sorry.

And thanks! :tu:

etccarmageddon
03-03-2006, 16:04
could it be connected with doing too much - 6am taxi service - rushing around - not recovering from a cold properly and being generally run down and stressed?

Maggy
03-03-2006, 16:17
could it be connected with doing too much - 6am taxi service - rushing around - not recovering from a cold properly and being generally run down and stressed?

Not been at work this week so no stress.Getting up when I want to..;)

Also the last cold was before Christmas-though as I said I do get catarrh a lot.

etccarmageddon
03-03-2006, 16:19
you dont feel like you need a break/holiday then?

Maggy
03-03-2006, 20:37
you dont feel like you need a break/holiday then?

Well who doesn't?However I'm not likely to get one until Easter and then it will be spent in Wales with the Ma-in-law.;)

marky
03-03-2006, 21:35
*Worries about Coggie* :(

greencreeper
04-03-2006, 15:16
I sometimes get dizzy spells and have a few times woke up very dizzy. I lose my balance in the dark - just go veering off. I've just put it down to being one of those things :erm: I do have ringing ears and suffered with ear trouble as a kid. The doc says my hearing is fine. Wouldn't imagine it's any cause for concern, Coggy.

Maggy
04-03-2006, 16:29
*Worries about Coggie* :(

Don't.I'm a big girl and I'll live.It's just annoying me because it cramps my routine and it's taking me longer to get going in the morning.

The only reason I panicked was because dizzyness was something that really made my mother's life a misery in the 10/6 months before she died.It got so she wouldn't go out because she had become frightened to cross the road or do anything.She had to stop doing all the activities she loved doing.She couldn't even do her embroidery..The only time she would go out was with me and I couldn't manage to do it as much at the time because I was working full time. Mind if I had known how little time she had...:(

Maggy
05-03-2006, 10:41
Well now,there is no sign of the condition overnight.I rolled over and over and no dizzyness.I spra..errr...lea.. errr... eased myself out of bed and felt fine..apart from the usual aches and pains that accompanies a 50 year old body that's badly out of shape..;)

However I will go and see my doctor even though it will involve a two bus journey or a taxi journey to get to his surgery.:rolleyes: I think I'm going to have to find a doctor's surgery that is nearer.Pity as I like my doctor.

Ramrod
05-03-2006, 11:10
Glad your better atm Coggy.............it does sound like an inner ear prob.....

Maggy
02-07-2006, 21:24
Well now guess what? yes it's back.I awoke with a headache on Saturday went back to bed for a couple of hours and woke up dizzy.

It's a lot worse this time.I'm unable to walk across a room without swaying and that is enough first thing in the morning to get me retching from the nausea.It's improves gradually as the day progresses but I'm unable to do my usual rota of housework.Even typing this I have to move my head as little as possible.I have to come downstairs with my eyes shut or I'll go headfirst down them.:(

I'll REALLY go to the doctor's this time..as hubby is still home and he can drive me.

Salu
02-07-2006, 22:11
Good luck coggy, let me know what he/she says.....

Ramrod
02-07-2006, 22:16
I'm getting it lying down when I roll over and when I first sit up for an hour or so.Sounds like an ear prob to me but get the GP to refer you to an ENT chappy.......

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

No so bad especiallly if I concentrate on keeping my head still and moving the body instead.
Especially when you say that.....

Maggy
03-07-2006, 13:11
It's an ear infection and he's given me a month's course of betahistine dihydrochloride tablets to relieve the symptoms.I've had two and I'm feeling a little better.I just have to go back in two weeks because he says my blood pressure is a little elevated and he wants to check it again.

It's really nice that I got to actually see MY doctor for once.I also got an appointment with no trouble what so ever.

Thanks for the concern Rammy.I know who I can rely on to pick holes in a sick person's comments.:p:

Ramrod
03-07-2006, 14:43
Thanks for the concern Rammy.I know who I can rely on to pick holes in a sick person's comments.:p:
lol......it took me a while to understand what you meant there! :D
But I wasn't correcting your spelling, I was actually pointing out that if you keep your head still and move your body you don't get dizzy whilst visa versa produces dizzyness then thats a pretty good indicator that its your inner ear causing the problem........its called the Fitz-Ritson test. :)

Jules
03-07-2006, 16:12
I hope you are feeling a lot better soon Coggy

Maggy
03-07-2006, 20:16
Well I am a litle bit but I suspect it will be a while before these tablets really have an impact.

Scrubbs
03-07-2006, 20:25
Well I am a litle bit but I suspect it will be a while before these tablets really have an impact.

Well... there's nothing you can do except get someeone else(your better? half) to do the housework and sit still and eat chocolate while you catch up on your reading, sitting in a comfy chair of course, with your feet up. With such phrases as " I had better sit still in case it gets any worse, and I'll be bedridden and you will have to cook for yourself" :D
That should do it ;) :)

Maggy
03-07-2006, 20:33
Well... there's nothing you can do except get someeone else(your better? half) to do the housework and sit still and eat chocolate while you catch up on your reading, sitting in a comfy chair of course, with your feet up. With such phrases as " I had better sit still in case it gets any worse, and I'll be bedridden and you will have to cook for yourself" :D
That should do it ;) :)

Actually my other half being home at the moment is already being busy around the house.Mind this very hot day has finished him off.He's having trouble breathing in this heat.

Jules
03-07-2006, 21:02
I am just happy it is nothing more serious after hearing about your mum

Graham M
03-07-2006, 21:16
Actually my other half being home at the moment is already being busy around the house.Mind this very hot day has finished him off.He's having trouble breathing in this heat.

Athsmatic?

Salu
04-07-2006, 15:52
Has your Dr said 16mg three times a day or something else? Has he given you length of time to take them for or is the prescription recurring?

Betahistine is a drug that is a histamine agonist which works by improving the blood flow in the small blood vessels of the inner ear. So the physiological effect will be swift but you may not notice it for a while.

As to whether you have an ear infection only time will tell. Most ear infections are viral so that is probably why your GP has not given you antibiotics which would be ineffective against a virus. Instead he (or she) has elected to treat the symptoms. What you can't really do at this stage is establish the cause. You have to alleviate the immediate symptoms and wait to see how recurrent the problem is. If you keep getting the symptoms every couple of weeks/months etc then you then have to start thinking of other causes to exclude.

Hope that helps

Maggy
04-07-2006, 16:10
Has your Dr said 16mg three times a day or something else? Has he given you length of time to take them for or is the prescription recurring?

16 mg three times a day and go back in two weeks.

Betahistine is a drug that is a histamine agonist which works by improving the blood flow in the small blood vessels of the inner ear. So the physiological effect will be swift but you may not notice it for a while.

It was more effective yesterday...It's not going so well today.Mind this heat is not helping. :(

As to whether you have an ear infection only time will tell. Most ear infections are viral so that is probably why your GP has not given you antibiotics which would be ineffective against a virus. Instead he (or she) has elected to treat the symptoms. What you can't really do at this stage is establish the cause. You have to alleviate the immediate symptoms and wait to see how recurrent the problem is. If you keep getting the symptoms every couple of weeks/months etc then you then have to start thinking of other causes to exclude.

Hope that helps

Thanks! :)