PDA

View Full Version : Any 10Mb users who use Newshosting?

renzz
02-03-2006, 14:04
Newshosting, for me, have been very good since I joined, and when I was upgraded to 10Mb last year I could download flat out from them, normally on around 4 or 5 connections.

However, over the past 6 weeks or so, things have got a little odd. When I start downloading (now on 8 connections), I will start at the full 10Mb/sec, and this will continue for around 2-3mins. Then, slowly, my speed starts to drop off, normally bottoming out at 5Mb/sec. It does this everytime, and regardless of the port I use on Newshosting (although I normally use 9000).

It really looks like there is some sort of traffic shaping going on somewhere, I just wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Do any Giganews users see this? Is it worth the extra money to use Giganews' European server - do you get sustained 10Mb speeds?

Cheers

scoobydoo[uk]
02-03-2006, 16:17
Dont think there is any traffic shaping going on.
I get the 10mb speed from newshosting aslong as i download before 3pm and after 12am.
Its traffic that slows it down during the other times, between 6pm -10pm its very very slow, about 400k/sec

Bill C
02-03-2006, 16:39
']Dont think there is any traffic shaping going on.
I get the 10mb speed from newshosting as long as i download before 3pm and after 12am.
Its traffic that slows it down during the other times, between 6pm -10pm its very very slow, about 400k/sec
Funny you say that. Where i am i dumped the 10 meg due to the speed dropping at 6.00pm and picking up again at 12.00 midnight. It was the same every night bang on 6.00pm the speed changed to no more that about 2 meg and then bang on 12.00 midnight it would speed up again. Very strange indeed. I am now on 2 meg and that stays bang on 2 meg all the time. Now if it was just over subsciption locally it would affect all tiers at the same time, However if a switch was being click at that time and only on the 10 meg tier then that might account for the slow down i had at those times.

Please note this is only my views and i have no concrete evidence to back it up.

Chrysalis
02-03-2006, 17:55
Bill now you are showing concerns it makes me worried a bit, I am not against shaping but if an isp uses it I think they should tell the customers about it so they know what kind of service they are paying for.

I myself have noticed some weird things that "could" be shaping the most noticeable been is the sudden speed jumps and drops that occur at certian times of the day, they are not really noticeable on the bottom 2 tiers.

Bill C
02-03-2006, 18:05
Bill now you are showing concerns it makes me worried a bit, I am not against shaping but if an isp uses it I think they should tell the customers about it so they know what kind of service they are paying for.

I myself have noticed some weird things that "could" be shaping the most noticeable been is the sudden speed jumps and drops that occur at certain times of the day, they are not really noticeable on the bottom 2 tiers.
Too be honest i have no concrete evidence. But i cannot see what else could be so time based. I tried everything possable to get full 10 meg, Sadly i gave up and went to 2 meg. My 2 meg is rock solid any time of the day or night. I have 2 other friends who have dumped 10 meg and returned to 2 meg, both for the same reasons as me.

Problem is how many ISP's would have the nerve to admit they were shaping traffic. IF and its a big IF NTL are shaping then i do think they should admit to it. They would get more respect from me for admitting it than if they are hiding it.

Again i have no real evidence just a feeling that could be wrong.

SnoopZ
02-03-2006, 22:20
I can report that i get the full monty 10mbit at all times of the day and night using Newshosting and Newsleecher with 15 connections(bots + 1 server) running.I haven't tried with less connections though.

I'm in the Cambridge CB4 area.

Chrysalis
02-03-2006, 23:09
and I know others who get it all day as well, I think if there is any shaping its probably area dependent maybe done at the ubr, as like many things with ntl they dont care if the service is different region by region.

Kneebs
02-03-2006, 23:12
Well, I'm with newshosting, port 9000, and for the last half hour or so, i've been getting anywhere from 4Mbps - 10Mbps, probably averaging around 6-7

In the mornings / late pm / early am, I do generally max out, downloading at about 1-1.2 MBps

jtwn
03-03-2006, 00:11
Can max out.

I don't think shaping is the answer, increasing local network capacity would be a better option. Obviously from what has been said, this is going on.

Ignition
03-03-2006, 03:26
Can max out.

I don't think shaping is the answer, increasing local network capacity would be a better option. Obviously from what has been said, this is going on.

Increasing local capacity isn't always an option, you have to draw a line somewhere at which point increasing capacity just isn't viable sir.

Anyway that's another thread all together... :)

Bill C
03-03-2006, 07:03
and I know others who get it all day as well, I think if there is any shaping its probably area dependent maybe done at the ubr, as like many things with ntl they dont care if the service is different region by region.

Indeed. I know that 10 meg is possible as i did receive 10 meg when the service went live. It started to slow down on the day it went live for all and has been like that since.

Just for those who might say its my kit.

250 modem [Changed]

pent 2 Linux router [Ipcop]
All network cards 3 com
All cables changed and checked.
Speeds the same on all pc's in the house [ both Linux and windows based]
All machines have anti virus and anti spyware loaded and run each day.

And after all this still i could not get 10 meg. I keep in touch with the local network lads who say most of the faults they are called to for broadband are 10 meg speed issues.

BE have just installed there kit in the Warrington BT exchange "was stood next to it yesterday" so it might be time to consider the worse case scenario .

If it is a local capacity problem why can they not fix it.

jtwn
03-03-2006, 09:02
Increasing local capacity isn't always an option, you have to draw a line somewhere at which point increasing capacity just isn't viable sir.

Anyway that's another thread all together... :)

Surely it is, we can never draw the line! Surely the only limiting factor are noise issues on the network and how much money you have.

Chrysalis
03-03-2006, 12:05
Indeed. I know that 10 meg is possible as i did receive 10 meg when the service went live. It started to slow down on the day it went live for all and has been like that since.

Just for those who might say its my kit.

250 modem [Changed]

pent 2 Linux router [Ipcop]
All network cards 3 com
All cables changed and checked.
Speeds the same on all pc's in the house [ both Linux and windows based]
All machines have anti virus and anti spyware loaded and run each day.

And after all this still i could not get 10 meg. I keep in touch with the local network lads who say most of the faults they are called to for broadband are 10 meg speed issues.

BE have just installed there kit in the Warrington BT exchange "was stood next to it yesterday" so it might be time to consider the worse case scenario .

If it is a local capacity problem why can they not fix it.

I got an engineer coming today, I have been doing some speedtests and they all coming out at full whack since I woke up like someone has flicked a switch for his visit hmmm. My pings are still shaky tho and I have been told i got 26-28mbit usage at ubr (qam64) and it doesnt warrant an upgrade. So the upgrade policy for local capacity looks to be fairly tight.

Ignition
03-03-2006, 16:28
Surely it is, we can never draw the line! Surely the only limiting factor are noise issues on the network and how much money you have.

Noise is irrelevant to resegmentation as resegmentation helps with noise.

Money is the issue, no point in spending £10k a month supplying services that only bring in £5k a month. E7Even have tried that one and it doesn't really work.

jtwn
03-03-2006, 16:34
I wasn't thinking along the lines of resegmentation. More of different/newer technologies and higher signal modulation.

I guess I don't understand these things, after the initial outlay for tech, whats the 10k / month all amount. Maintaining the systems? Maintaining what/how? Surely polish and a duster doesn't cost that much :p:

DaggaDagga
03-03-2006, 17:44
higher signal modulation

Please explain this concept!

Chrysalis
03-03-2006, 22:12
I might signup to newshosting for a month see how it works out on my connection.

Ignition
04-03-2006, 01:01
I wasn't thinking along the lines of resegmentation. More of different/newer technologies and higher signal modulation.

I guess I don't understand these things, after the initial outlay for tech, whats the 10k / month all amount. Maintaining the systems? Maintaining what/how? Surely polish and a duster doesn't cost that much :p:

There is the minor issue that the highest downstream modulation doesn't give much more than 1/3rd improvement over the 'standard' one. Not really the sky being the limit, that's as high as it goes.

One big limitation is actually the downstream spectrum, there aren't many channels free due to the requirement to show many channels of **** TV.

Chrysalis
04-03-2006, 03:11
hmm is it possible to add a downstream channel to a ubr for broadband effectively doubling broadband downstream bandwidth at zero cost so for example channel 0 and channel 1? like their is multi upstream channels.

jtwn
04-03-2006, 13:15
There is the minor issue that the highest downstream modulation doesn't give much more than 1/3rd improvement over the 'standard' one. Not really the sky being the limit, that's as high as it goes.

One big limitation is actually the downstream spectrum, there aren't many channels free due to the requirement to show many channels of **** TV.

But combined with the wider EuroDOCSIS channels on Langley, it would be more like a 95% increase.

hmm is it possible to add a downstream channel to a ubr for broadband effectively doubling broadband downstream bandwidth at zero cost so for example channel 0 and channel 1? like their is multi upstream channels.

A second frequency dowstream would double capacity, but cost, what £2 million?

Chrysalis
04-03-2006, 19:49
I dont know if there is a cost I am just guessing I would have thought you turn off the tv on the channel and turn it on for downstream and the equipment is already in place.

Ignition
04-03-2006, 20:24
But combined with the wider EuroDOCSIS channels on Langley, it would be more like a 95% increase.

A second frequency dowstream would double capacity, but cost, what £2 million?

Regarding EuroDOCSIS, not going to happen until the CPE kit can support it I'm afraid, which is unlikely at the moment as there are still a lot of DOCSIS only boxes about. Also there's the minor issue that the MC16 cards that are installed in Langley uBRs are, or at least were when I left, MC16C which are DOCSIS only, as oppsed to MC16E which do EuroDOCSIS.

As far as running multiple downstreams goes nowhere near that cost. Methinks you read the posts and perhaps the books but still don't quite understand how it all fits together, keep reading t he books young padawan. Lighting another downstream is much easier than you think ;) the main complication is the kit ntl use.

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

I dont know if there is a cost I am just guessing I would have thought you turn off the tv on the channel and turn it on for downstream and the equipment is already in place.

Pretty much, involves some jiggery pokery with MC28 cards, though uBR10ks and MC520 cards are the bestest plan from the Cisco point of view for this.

The main cost there is the manpower in getting it to work.

jtwn
05-03-2006, 00:19
Yeah, maybe the CPE kit doesn't support it but with a DPLMS running in dual hydroled mode with a teksi deliminator between it and the M25 card it should.

.....YES, I have NO idea what you are on about ign :p:

Well actually, I think by guesswork I can. You are talking about modems? The Ambit 120 onwards support and from what I believe, makes up the bulk of the network. Though i would agree there is no point if this flexpath is going to be the near future.

As far as running multiple downstreams goes nowhere near that cost. Methinks you read the posts and perhaps the books but still don't quite understand how it all fits together, keep reading t he books young padawan. Lighting another downstream is much easier than you think the main complication is the kit ntl use.

Steve Upton's words not mine =) "£1 per home". I do see what you mean though, the cards are like only 3 grand on ebay ;)

Amadeus
07-03-2006, 19:04
Im suspicious of traffic shaping. Try downloading something even side of the hour, ie 9.50 - 10.10, 10.50 to 11.10. There are significant jumps right on the hour. The major one is after midnight full 10meg speed is always apparent.

AlVal
07-03-2006, 22:00
consistent 1200k/sec , night or day , from 8 connections to giganews europe

balesy
07-03-2006, 22:27
I was with newshosting on a 10mb connection and my speed dropped dramatically, after many e-mails to which I received no replies to, I cancelled my account.
I'm now with Giganews, excellent