PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Ranges?? Gun Licence?

leef78
02-03-2006, 13:32
Hi all,

I was wondering about shooting ranges in this country (handguns etc) do we have any? do you need a licence? if so how do you get one? any info would be much appreciated. (and no... im not a nutcase looking to shoot anyone) :) just looking to have a go at it.

Cheers
Lee

Derek
02-03-2006, 13:36
I was wondering about shooting ranges in this country (handguns etc) do we have any?

As far as I know we don't. The only ones are police/army ones etc. and even our olympic pistol shooting team have to train abroad :rolleyes:

EDIT: For handguns. There are still quite a number of rifle ranges and shooting clubs.

do you need a licence?

To own weapons you would.

if so how do you get one?

Apply for a firearms licence from your local police force. There is a charge for this and any weapons have to be kept securely in locked cabinets etc.

just looking to have a go at it.

You might want to try clay pigeon shooting instead. There are plenty of places across the UK. You don't need a licence to try that.

bopdude
02-03-2006, 13:38
The quick answer is 'yes' and plenty of them, google for them, it brings up 100's of results :tu:

ScaredWebWarrior
02-03-2006, 13:40
I was wondering about shooting ranges in this country (handguns etc) do we have any? do you need a licence? if so how do you get one?It should be pointed out that handguns are now illegal in the UK so you can't get to shoot one or get a licence to own one.

homealone
02-03-2006, 13:42
The quick answer is 'yes' and plenty of them, google for them, it brings up 100's of results :tu:

like this one

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/

;)

leef78
02-03-2006, 14:07
like this one

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/

;)

Haha, thats the one I just googled :) Looks pretty good, I think I'll give them a ring. Thanks
Lee

Aragorn
02-03-2006, 14:24
I used to shoot many years ago - pre-Dunblane. Mostly clay pigeon, but also full bore handguns and rim fire rifles. Never got very accurate with the handguns and rifles, but good fun shooting a .357 Magnum or 9mm Glock.
Clay pigeon is great fun and you can still own your own gun (in a locked steel cabinet!). Even tried black powder shotguns and firing a handgun with shot-filled cartridges!

Xaccers
02-03-2006, 14:44
Unless you're despirate for the feel of shooting with real bullets, have you considered airsoft?
The guns are realistic, pistols even "blow back" with every shot, and you have a wider range of guns to choose from.
You don't need a licience, just to be 18, and keep them in a sealed container (bag or box), and unloaded when in transit.
They're safe, although shooting glasses should be worn, and you can use them in your back garden as long as you're not within 15m of a main road.

www.airsoftarmoury.co.uk

zovat
02-03-2006, 16:43
Just to clarify..

You need a license to own a firearm (Now only rifles and muzzle loading pistols are legal) this is not the same as needing a license to go and try one at a legal rifle club.

There are a number of clubs that hold their own weapons and will allow you to try the sport (for a fee of course) without having to purchase your own.

Kliro
02-03-2006, 17:02
Yeah, you can, my cousins 18, and shoots a rifle at clay pigeons in the UK, seems like theres a lot of them.

punky
02-03-2006, 17:10
Unless you're despirate for the feel of shooting with real bullets, have you considered airsoft?
The guns are realistic, pistols even "blow back" with every shot, and you have a wider range of guns to choose from.
You don't need a licience, just to be 18, and keep them in a sealed container (bag or box), and unloaded when in transit.
They're safe, although shooting glasses should be worn, and you can use them in your back garden as long as you're not within 15m of a main road.

www.airsoftarmoury.co.uk

Is airsoft any more powerful than regular airguns/bb guns?

I had one as a kid and it was totally useless. You can see the 'round' bend in mid air after leaving the barrel due to wind or air pressure. Absolutely useless for target shooting, and just about anything really.

I do love real firearms shooting. I do it in the US whenever I can, but might start doing it here. Only trouble is I prefer semi-pistols. Are they still allowed at ranges?

WHISTLED
02-03-2006, 17:38
I think a sneeze moves faster than an airsoft pellet.

Think its more for people who were not allowed to play with toy guns when they were kids.

Check this guy out.

http://http://airsoftsniper.darc.net/main/page1.htm :rolleyes:

Xaccers
02-03-2006, 18:41

I had one as a kid and it was totally useless. You can see the 'round' bend in mid air after leaving the barrel due to wind or air pressure. Absolutely useless for target shooting, and just about anything really.

I do love real firearms shooting. I do it in the US whenever I can, but might start doing it here. Only trouble is I prefer semi-pistols. Are they still allowed at ranges?

rassumfrassumbloodybbgunsgrrrr

what most people call a bbgun we call a cheap piece of poo springer, you have to cock them every single time you fire, they're plastic, chav's use them to look bling, they're the reason the goverment wants to ban the sale and purchase of replica guns (but not the ownership...), and frankly aren't powerful enough to shoot their way out of a wet paper bag.
They fire with a muzzle energy of less than 0.5J

Airsoft guns on the other hand can fire over 2J, however not legally in this country.
The forensics sciences service decided that penetrative power required to pierce the softest tissue such as an eyeball at 2 inches is 1.35J (although the Norther Ireland dept found it was 2J so I guess the Irish have tougher eyeballs).
Above that and it is classed as an air rifle and as such, illegal to shoot anyone with.
Therefore most airsoft guns fire around 1J.
Pistols which run on gas depend on the gas used (134a or propane) and the ambient temperature.

A friend of mine also trains police and security forces around the world how to raid buildings etc, and should be arranging an open day for us at a police shooting range.

WHISTLED
02-03-2006, 18:48
what most people call a bbgun we call a cheap piece of poo springer Do you soot plastic BB in airsoft? Yes? Then would that make it a BB gun?

Marge
02-03-2006, 18:54
I went to a shooting range in the US and discovered I was a crack shot, this is the girl who struggles to get a dart in the board so it was all a bit of a mystery :erm: If you can go and do it then it's well worth it but be prepared for a lot of noise and fun :tu:

Xaccers
02-03-2006, 18:56
Do you soot plastic BB in airsoft? Yes? Then would that make it a BB gun?

Is it a ball bearing? No, therefore not a BB gun.
BB guns fire metal ball bearings.
The Daisy BB gun is a BB gun.
The CA36, for instance, is an airsoft gun.
There's a major difference.

Incidently, the rifle used in that page you (poorly) linked to probably fires at 500fps if in the UK, and considerably more if in other countries.

WHISTLED
02-03-2006, 19:25
Incidently, the rifle used in that page you (poorly) linked to probably fires at 500fps if in the UK, and considerably more if in other countries. Soz for the poor link.. The rest is still correct IMO

Xaccers
02-03-2006, 19:56
Soz for the poor link.. The rest is still correct IMO

Well your opinion is incorrect.

achilles500
27-02-2007, 15:46
You can still shoot Black Powder revolvers such as Ruger Old Army (just sold mine) Colt 1861 etc. Most BP clubs will allow you to shoot there. I used to use Pyrodex in mine so I didn't require a BP licence. Obviously you will require a FAC for any BP pistol.

Steve

Tightscot
27-02-2007, 16:58
Yeah, you can, my cousins 18, and shoots a rifle at clay pigeons in the UK, seems like theres a lot of them.

either you mean he shoots a shotgun at clay pigeons and i'm just being pinickety .... or he's a really good shot and can hit a fast moving clay pigeon using a rifle....:)

As for licensing etc, to obtain a FAC (firearms certificate) you apply to the police and have to have character type witnesses from upstanding parts of the community - lawyer/vicar etc and also written stuff from the landowner/farmer who's land you're going to shoot on.

At least thats how it was when i got mine about 5 years ago...

As an aside, i never saw the point in airsoft guns.... now paintball on the other hand....:D At least you know when you've been hit!!!

Xaccers
27-02-2007, 17:22
As an aside, i never saw the point in airsoft guns.... now paintball on the other hand....:D At least you know when you've been hit!!!

Greater range, full auto, sniper rifles, cheaper ammo (3000 for a fiver) doesn't look like a bit of bent piping, and you can feel it plenty without it causing massive bruising.

Tightscot
27-02-2007, 17:28
Greater range, full auto, sniper rifles, cheaper ammo (3000 for a fiver) doesn't look like a bit of bent piping, and you can feel it plenty without it causing massive bruising.

aha but the bruising is what i love!!:D

Xaccers
27-02-2007, 17:48
aha but the bruising is what i love!!:D

Pervert ;)