PDA

View Full Version : An interesting definition of "Heavy User"

Stuart
02-03-2006, 11:02
Just been on the madasafish.com website (http://www.madasafish.com ). They appear to define a "heavy user" as someone who downloads 20 gig a month..

Still, they are doing 8 Meg for £20 a month for 3 months, and £25 thereafter..

punky
02-03-2006, 12:24
I think in all honesty, 20 gig a month could well be described as a heavy user. Its hard to download that much each and every month legitmately. 20 gig is still quite a lot of data.

The definition will always get smaller and smaller though, as the smaller it is the profitable for the companies it is.

danielf
02-03-2006, 12:28
I think in all honesty, 20 gig a month could well be described as a heavy user. Its hard to download that much each and every month legitmately. 20 gig is still quite a lot of data.

The definition will always get smaller and smaller though, as the smaller it is the profitable for the companies it is.

I would agree, if it is done on a regular basis. I went over 20 Gig in Feb, but that was because I spent a few hours a day (most days) watching live feeds from the winter olympics. Normally, I wouldn't come near it (though it has wet my appettite for live broadcasts over the web)

Stuart
02-03-2006, 12:43
I personally agree: 20 Gig is a lot. I just thought it funny that they consider 20 Gig a lot, when users come on here and boast of downloading 150 Gig +. ..

Chrysalis
04-03-2006, 03:17
20gig is more like what I would call moderate. 1TB is a heavy user.

End of the day everyone will never agree what is heavy and what is light, I think isps will always fudge the figures to make the average appear lower then what it is so they "appear" more generous with cap levels. After all if you offer 10 gig and the average is 10gig doesnt look so great but if the average is 3 gig it looks generous.

The legalities of what people download is debatable but end of the day a mass of people do it and is currently accepted as a use by isp's else they would be blocking it.

Paul K
04-03-2006, 07:09
Personally I would call 1TB a P take but there you go. Anyone that can legitimately and legally download more than 100GB on a monthly basis through normal usage needs to put their hand up right now and explain how.

AdamD
04-03-2006, 17:52
Linux ISO's......can't have to many iso's!!

(Yea i'm kidding heh)

Chrysalis
04-03-2006, 19:16
Paul 1TB is **** taking I was just putting the 20gig = large into touch.

Ignition
04-03-2006, 20:30
Paul 1TB is **** taking I was just putting the 20gig = large into touch.

It's more than most people do...

danielf
04-03-2006, 23:04
Does anyone have stats on what the average monthly usage is for people on the higher tiers?

Stuart
05-03-2006, 01:15
I think that NTL would possible class that as "Commercially sensitive information".

Ignition
05-03-2006, 22:04
Does anyone have stats on what the average monthly usage is for people on the higher tiers?

Dunno but I can tell you with 99% certainty of being accuracy that the average user will be using less than 10GB/month.

The average use per customer is skewed quite heavily due to the people doing 600GB/month on their 2Mbit and the people pulling over a TB a month on 10Mbit.

etccarmageddon
06-03-2006, 08:03
...The average use per customer is skewed quite heavily due to the people doing 600GB/month on their 2Mbit and the people pulling over a TB a month on 10Mbit.that might cause speed issues for other users!

Chrysalis
06-03-2006, 13:42
seems to be happening in my area, I use more then the average which I wont deny but not in the 100s of gigs.

skywave
29-03-2006, 20:14
seems to be happening in my area, I use more then the average which I wont deny but not in the 100s of gigs.
When people say they use 20 giggs or 30 or what ever a month, is that including their uploads as well?

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

I would agree, if it is done on a regular basis. I went over 20 Gig in Feb, but that was because I spent a few hours a day (most days) watching live feeds from the winter olympics. Normally, I wouldn't come near it (though it has wet my appettite for live broadcasts over the web)
Where do you go to watch live broadcasts on the internet?

Druchii
02-04-2006, 02:31
I must admit i'm not an average user, 25+Gb's per month (Never broke 40 though) but this is usually due to excessive use of Googles Video services and webcam chatting (basically video conferencing)
Does this put me into the heavy user category ?

I mean, the person down the road from me thinks nothing of averagin 6Gb's a day. (God knows what he uses that much for, he never says what he downloads)

On BT's 2Mb service i used to use between 15 and 20Gb, so not much has changed with my slightly faster 4Mb connection.

bopdude
02-04-2006, 03:19
Well under the terms of my 10 meg contract 70 gig a month, I'm about average :D

skywave
02-04-2006, 10:05
Well under the terms of my 10 meg contract 70 gig a month, I'm about average :D
But what does that mean using 70 gig a month, is that downloading 70 gig a month or is that uploading and downloading which also could amount to 70 gig a month?

At the mo my stats are like this:

Download 4.6 gig
Upload 4.2 gig

Sum 8.8 gig

I

Druchii
02-04-2006, 10:19
It includes uploads as well, i made sure to include it :)

bopdude
02-04-2006, 10:24
Well under the terms of my 10 meg contract 70 gig a month, I'm about average :D But what does that mean using 70 gig a month, is that downloading 70 gig a month or is that uploading and downloading which also could amount to 70 gig a month?

At the mo my stats are like this:

Download 4.6 gig
Upload 4.2 gig

Sum 8.8 gig

I

Yep, up and downloads combined, add that to gaming, streaming etc etc and you could soon find yourself getting there :tu:

jtwn
02-04-2006, 11:21
20gb per user is heavy from an overall pov, how many people use the internet and how many of those use p2p/other file moving methods? A very small minority. Most are just surfers / msners.

Chrysalis
02-04-2006, 20:41
You need to bear in mind when looking at the average there will be a ton of users who pay their bill and possibly not even use their broadband due to been too busy etc. or may use it but very rarely they just pay for it so its there ready for when they need it. These are the perfect customers for isps since they pay for something they not using, same with pensioners in a way as they may well be spending more time working out how to use the mouse or struggling to read then actually using bandwidth.