PDA

View Full Version : Problem with NTL 200

buckoff
01-03-2006, 22:16
Alright I just registered today and don't know much but have been on many paintball Fourms site and they rin similar to each other.. But I am hoing some problems setting up a cable modem. I bought it off ebay and the guy said it worked fine. So i got it and switched cords from the modem i have know which came from my ISP and plugged them into a ntl: home 200 Model No. 08004EU

I can't remember which lights stayed lit and which ones blincked but i am pretty sure that the D/S and SYNC both blinked and USB was solid and so was ENET and U/S. I am not positive on that If it helps I can plug it back in and see what is right.

I have had 2 of my ISP modems go out and I had to drive to there warehouse and pick them up and when I replaced it I didn't have to do anything but plug it in and it worked. So is this a non-working unit or do I have to do something else???

Angua
01-03-2006, 22:37
See this thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=38295&highlight=ebay+cable+modems) here. You have been duped.

Oh and:welcome: to the forum

Chris W
01-03-2006, 22:47
The cable modem you have purchased will need to be registered with your cable operator- in the UK (nb this is a UK cable site) all cable modems are rental only, however I believe that in the US you can use purchased modems. The modem you have purchased is an Ambit modem, badged by ntl (cable provider who rent these in the UK). Whether or not this modem can be registered on your ISPs network I don't know- you will have to contact them to find out whether this is possible.

However, please note that the item that you have bought is property of ntl in the UK, and hence the seller had no right to sell to you- If i were you I would return the item and request a refund on these grounds.

Chris
02-03-2006, 11:23
Indeed, you are receiving stolen goods. I don't know how likely you are to be extradited to the UK to face charges though. :p: