PDA

View Full Version : Geologists

Kliro
01-03-2006, 21:06
Hi, was just wondering if there is anyone here with a link to geology??

I'm just looking for a bit more insight into what its going to be like a few years down the road.

I'm (hopefully) off to Bristol in October to Study Geology, and then off to Berkely Ca. in the 3rd year for a bit more study.

Would love to hear from others.

danielf
01-03-2006, 21:11
You will need to grow a beard. My father is a geologist (paleontologist to be precise), and he and many of his colleagues have a beard.

Strzelecki
01-03-2006, 21:13
I did a Dual Honours Degree in Geology, graduated last year. The other subject is did was Computer Science. Geology is great, so interesting and it is a relatively new (50s 60s when a lot of the theories came about) science so there's always new stuff to read about. I particularly enjoyed mapping and Geophysics. You'll probably find you'll spend some time studying the Geology of the Bristol channel as you're so close! Also you'll probably make a visit or 2 to Wales as it has a lot of stuff you won't see anywhere else in the UK. I went to Cantabria in Northern Spain for my dissertation. Spent 3 weeks mapping the mountains, was very daunting at first, I think bristol do the same trip to! You'll enjoy it I'm sure, it's not all about old men with beards looking at rocks through a hand lens, honest!

DocDutch
01-03-2006, 21:14
have you tried google??? got this for you dont know if you knew this http://geology.com/

danielf
01-03-2006, 21:22
<snip> it's not all about old men with beards looking at rocks through a hand lens, honest!

Yes it is, read my post. :dozey: :D :angel:

Kliro
01-03-2006, 21:27
heh, thanks for the replys, unfortunately I'm well aquainted with the jumper wearing bearded men with clinometers and geology hammers.

Where'd you study Strzelecki? you doing anything geology related now??

Strzelecki
01-03-2006, 22:27
At Keele University in Staffordshire. Not doing much Geology related at the moment, Waiting for my fiancee to finish at Keele before we move of and I can hopefully get a proper degree related job! I think Peter Styles is still the President of the BGS, he taught me a few things and is still lecturing at Keele.

basa
02-03-2006, 10:19
Hi, was just wondering if there is anyone here with a link to geology??

I'm just looking for a bit more insight into what its going to be like a few years down the road.

I'm (hopefully) off to Bristol in October to Study Geology, and then off to Berkely Ca. in the 3rd year for a bit more study.

Would love to hear from others.

Hey I was seriously thinking of doing a degree in Geology, but at my age it would most likely be just for 'fun' ! :erm:

I fancy that trip to CA :cool: and I already have the beard !! :p: