PDA

View Full Version : Pancake day

Halcyon
28-02-2006, 11:21
Yes, it's today.
So who's having pancakes tonight ?
I'm going to make some apple filled ones and the good old lemon and sugar.

Happy pancake tossing :)

Russ
28-02-2006, 11:25
Happy pancake tossing :)

I'm SO glad Nugget isn't about.....:erm:

Oh dear - this is the one night my training diet goes right out of the window....I LOVE pancakes...sugar and lemons :spin:

Chris
28-02-2006, 11:35
For the first time ever, I have bought a pack from the fridge in Sainsbury's Local. I saw them yesterday and decided I just can't be bothered messing the kitchen up this year. Or missing Stargate while trying (and failing) to make pancakes in the ad breaks ... :D

bmxbandit
28-02-2006, 11:38
savoury pancakes are the way forward... brie and bacon anyone? :D

(followed by maple syrup/chocolate/lemon ones, natch)

Derek
28-02-2006, 11:42

:sick:

Thats just plain wrong.

Aragorn
28-02-2006, 11:43
We'll be having pancakes tonight. Regular lemon and sugar flavour probably, maybe syrup as well (not a patch on a stack of American pancakes with real maple syrup from Pennsylvania). Keeps the kids amused for a few minutes trying to catch them.

Salu
28-02-2006, 11:56
Anyone got any tips on how to remove them from the ceiling?

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-02-2006, 11:58
For the first time ever, I have bought a pack from the fridge in Sainsbury's Local. I saw them yesterday and decided I just can't be bothered messing the kitchen up this year. Or missing Stargate while trying (and failing) to make pancakes in the ad breaks ... :D

Too much effort to mix some eggs milk and flour. yoooouuuuuuuu lazy gite:D

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

(followed by maple syrup/chocolate/lemon ones, natch)

some years back i had a 3 course meal in Bordeau, crepes for every course, it was fantastic!! the savoury ones were the best

handyman
28-02-2006, 12:03
Will be making a huge stack tonight with the usual lemon and maple and golden syrup. Don't know why but for some unknown reason I seem to be alright at making pancakes :)

danielf
28-02-2006, 12:04
Not me, I don't like pancakes. :(

punky
28-02-2006, 12:06
I LOVE pancakes...sugar and lemons :spin:

The absolute BEST way to eat them is to spread jam liberally over the pancake and then fold it in half.

I promise you, it doesn't get any better than that :drool:

Chris
28-02-2006, 12:10
Too much effort to mix some eggs milk and flour. yoooouuuuuuuu lazy gite:D

:D

My problem is I'm a perfectionist. The Kenwood Chef has to come out, batters for standard crepes and also American stylee must be produced ... I just know if I get started, I will be at it all night and make a right mess of the kitchen. Best to just keep away. TBH I am not very confident that I won't crack under pressure and have a go anyway.

One year at uni I spent most of the week prior to pancake day inviting everyone I knew to 'drop in' during the day for a pancake. Most of them did, at all times of the day and evening. I spent the whole day making pancakes and eating them, so as not to have my guests feeling they were putting me out (of course!). By that night, I was feeling thoroughly sick and in need of something to take the sweet taste out of my mouth. I ate a can of minced beef in gravy (cold, straight from the can), just for the sake of a different flavour. It didn't help much.

handyman
28-02-2006, 12:27
Ahh so your not a pureist chris. I real batter maker makes it with a whisk only and does not use a recipe. Making sure the batter is of just over double cream consistency. and always throw away the 1st one :-)

Chris
28-02-2006, 12:30
Ahh so your not a pureist chris. I real batter maker makes it with a whisk only and does not use a recipe. Making sure the batter is of just over double cream consistency. and always throw away the 1st one :-)

Purism is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

Ramrod
28-02-2006, 12:32
I prefer savoury pancakes......mincemeat (pork or beef) Off to make some now! :drool:

zing_deleted
28-02-2006, 12:39
On a diet and I hate you all ..... :disturbd:

Pia
28-02-2006, 12:41
Mmmmm pancakes with lemon and golden syrup:drool:

Did anyone watch This Morning, he made a gorgeous looking one with strawberries, chocolate and coconut milk yummmy:D

Halcyon
28-02-2006, 13:01
Savoury pamcakes are nice.
Apart from the regular cheese filled one, If you like sea food, mix some prawns, muscles, etc, and put in a white sauce with mushrooms, fold into the pancake, then cook in the oven with grilled ccheeder cheese on top. Lovely.

As for sweet pancakes, I love the plain old sugar and lemon.
Or for a choclate treat, line the pancake with Nutella.

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-02-2006, 13:22
:D

My problem is I'm a perfectionist.

cough cough you would have made your batter last night then cough cough ;)

---------- Post added at 12:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

and always throw away the 1st one :-)

or give it to the wife :D well the pan should be clean!!

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

thats crepe luck

Salu
28-02-2006, 13:33
They are very nice with Acasia honey...

Chris
28-02-2006, 13:35
cough cough you would have made your batter last night then cough cough ;)

See post three - I bought the pancakes the night before. :D

Gareth
28-02-2006, 13:40
Savoury pamcakes are nice.
Apart from the regular cheese filled one, If you like sea food, mix some prawns, muscles, etc, and put in a white sauce with mushrooms, fold into the pancake, then cook in the oven with grilled ccheeder cheese on top. Lovely.

As for sweet pancakes, I love the plain old sugar and lemon.
Or for a choclate treat, line the pancake with Nutella.Nutella... now you're talking. It has to be thin crÃÃâ€*’ªpe-like pancakes not the American style to really appreciate the Nutella, but these are great. :drool: There's actually a surprisingly large number of recipes that contain Nutella... we used to have a book that showed recipes for Nutella banana splits, Nutella milkshakes, Nutella eclairs :drool: Just gotta brush your teeth extra hard after eating them.

I'm also fond of savoury crÃÃâ€*’ªpes too, although I wasn't so sure until I had tried some that Breton friends of ours make :drool: :drool:

For some inspiration, there are some great recipes on www.marmiton.org - it's a French site, so be adventurous and translate them in Google ;)

Taf
28-02-2006, 13:40
No-one has mentioned the classic.... currants, sugar and lemon juice!

As a starter we shall be having Breton crepes with buckwheat flour... bacon and cheese....

Maggy
28-02-2006, 14:45
Pancake day?Damn!:Yikes:

Coggy rushes off to hide the calender....:Sprint:

Caff
28-02-2006, 18:18
It'll be a first here, but, melted mini marshmallows and choc sauce (with a swift change back to the traditional lemon and sugar if necessary). Got the idea from the Aunt Bessie frozen pancakes packet.

:disturbd: - I know, but they were bogof at Tesco and I am legendary for losing patches of skin during making pancakes in this house.
And does anyone else ever offer to do the honours? I should cocoa!!! Hmm there's a thought - cocoa powder dusting and erm bananas? And cream ... :)

bmxbandit
28-02-2006, 18:30
Pancake day?Damn!:Yikes:

Coggy rushes off to hide the calender....:Sprint:
what, in case they get a bit lumpy? ;)

Halcyon
28-02-2006, 19:01
Whilst we are talking about Pancakes, if you ever want to make something fun for halloween, put some food colouring in the batter and make coloured pancakes.

littld
28-02-2006, 19:32
Sugar & lemon juice. Can't wait for mine. Dieting can wait.

Kliro
28-02-2006, 20:02
Mmmmm A stack with jam layered inbetween each...

Aragorn
28-02-2006, 20:39
Just enjoyed a couple of tasty pancakes, one filled with raspberries and covered with choc sauce and cream - very nice.

MadGamer
28-02-2006, 21:03
*Mutters to himself* i wish i wasnt diabetic, then again i could use canderel

punky
28-02-2006, 22:41
Argh.... sick of pancake day.

This is the first time i've tried to cook pancakes. The recipe is easy, but cooking it is a real bitch. Noone I know can help because they do it by eye, so its hard to show me over the phone. My mum, bless her, tried to help by saying "its just like cooking eggs".. which is fantastic because I can't cook them either.

After messing with different temps, oil, and cooking times, i'm amost there... 8 pancakes later. The last pancake was almost there, but I had trouble turning it. My spatula just minces the pancake. I think its because its a stainless steel one, so I am going to get a plastic one tomorrow with soft edges. I almost turned it, but it flipped onto its self, and I couldn't separate it.

Its going to cost me a fortune, but its annoying me, but i'm going to crack it... Either that or go broke buying ingredients.

Marge
28-02-2006, 22:45
snipped

awwww bless, sounds like you need the help of a good women there punky ?? ;)

punky
28-02-2006, 22:46
snipped

awwww bless, sounds like you need the help of a good women there punky ?? ;)

Yeah... do you know any?? ;)

Next time I interview candidates for the position of my official girlfriend, i'm going to make sure they have previous experience at pancakes.

Ramrod
28-02-2006, 22:52
Don't use a spatula Punky, just flip them! :)

punky
28-02-2006, 22:56
Don't use a spatula Punky, just flip them! :)

Actually, in uncharacteristic bravado, I did. It just flipped onto itself and gooed into a mess.

Actually, I just had a brain fart... Can't you flip pancakes by putting a a plate over the frying pan, turning it upside down, and then sliding the pancake off the plate back onto the frying pan? I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

Pia
28-02-2006, 23:21
Sounds like you've been flipping them too soon punky!

Ramrod
28-02-2006, 23:40
Sounds like you've been flipping them too soon punky!Thats what I was thinking from that description....

Halcyon
28-02-2006, 23:41
Using a Tefal non-stick frying pan works best.
Just use a brush or paper towel to lightly coat the pan in oil. You dont need much at all. Make sure your pan is on full high heat.
Then cover your pan with mixture and make sure it fills the pan. You dont want it too thick, just so it covers the whole pan.
Leave for about two minutes. Then use a spatula to work the sides if they are sticking.
You will know when it is time to turn it as the pancake will make like bubbles of air underneath it and it will rise slightly in places.
Then either stick the spatula under and flip it, or be adventurous and give the pan a shake and flip it in mid air.

I like to cook mine so they just start to have brown spots over them.

Whatever you do.....Dont make it swim in oil. You dont need much oil at all. Just very lightly coat the pan.

punky
28-02-2006, 23:43
Sounds like you've been flipping them too soon punky!

Aha... should it be totally dry on the top before I flip it over then? Or just firm enough to not be liquidy?

Chris W
28-02-2006, 23:47
I made 50 pancakes at work yesterday for the pancake day race in Reading today (but had a day off so missed the race!)

Went to a place in London today called My Old Dutch.... pancakes.... mmmm.

Fantastic restaurant... highly recommended for any time of year!

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:45 ----------

Aha... should it be totally dry on the top before I flip it over then? Or just firm enough to not be liquidy?

If you make them thinner then the gooeyness isn't an issue...

or if they are thicker then make sure you cook them on a really really low heat

punky
28-02-2006, 23:52
If you make them thinner then the gooeyness isn't an issue...

or if they are thicker then make sure you cook them on a really really low heat

Cheers for the tip mate :)

Ramrod
28-02-2006, 23:57
Aha... should it be totally dry on the top before I flip it over then? Or just firm enough to not be liquidy?We left them till just dry on top before flipping...

Pia
28-02-2006, 23:59
I'd just go by Halycon's way... that sounds perfect and is well described:tu:

Chris W
01-03-2006, 00:03
dammit i have got a pancake craving again now... but no eggs in the fridge :(

hmm... now shall i go to work and raid the fridge there....... :drool:

Halcyon
01-03-2006, 00:37
Right, I think some pancakes will definately have to be made at the next forum meet then.
Cable Forum could even create the world's biggest Pancake in the world.

punky
02-03-2006, 02:35
Tried again...

on the 3rd time tonight (11th overall) I actually cooked something edible... and the 12th time... I actually cooked something which could be classed as a pancake :) I was so chuffed. More so than when I picked up my degree...

Nidge
02-03-2006, 06:10

Pancakes won't hurt you when your on a diet, just keep off the sugar thats all.

Halcyon
02-03-2006, 10:17
Tried again...

on the 3rd time tonight (11th overall) I actually cooked something edible... and the 12th time... I actually cooked something which could be classed as a pancake :) I was so chuffed. More so than when I picked up my degree...

Excellent !
:tu: