PDA

View Full Version : Wheely Bins

driver_problems
27-02-2006, 21:56
where I am everybody is getting issued wheelie bins - one for recyclable stuff and the other for 'normal rubbish'. However, I have seen evidence that this in fact a precursor to start to charging householders an additional fee on top of the already hefty and unfair council tax to generate yet more revenue on a dump-per-use basis - the more you get rid of the more you pay. It's true that cerain businesses dodge the commercial waste issue by taking their stuff 'home' etc - but I expect the public will get battered economically one way or the other.

I saw a 'recycling' truck come round and all the green bags got chucked in the back and crushed - there is noway that that stuff got recylced and I mused on the thought that it is yet another sham to 'achieve quotas' in th EU and give local officials another shot in the arm for bloated pension funds and early retirement

Shaun
27-02-2006, 22:05
However, I have seen evidence
Really?

danielf
27-02-2006, 22:09
<snip>

What a load of rubbish :rolleyes:

Paul
27-02-2006, 23:06
What evidence ?

We have had wheelie bins for over 10 years, and multiple bins (one for normal, one for paper, one for garden rubbish) for the last two years. All with no extra charges. Because our household has five people, we also get an extra "half" bin, again FOC.

driver_problems
27-02-2006, 23:11
What evidence ?

a leaked paper from a person I know who works in the council - an unnamed source. You'll see it happening and remember you saw it here first.

This is a welsh council you are talking about here so intrinsically corrupt (IMO)

Kliro
27-02-2006, 23:14
If adequate alternatives were added in an effort to reduce the amount of rubbish produced then I see no problem in refusing to collect additional waste, which, I believe is the case at the moment.

Angua
27-02-2006, 23:18
http://www.kenmills.co.uk/mrf.htm

This will be one of the places crushed recyclate waste goes.

Also if your collection authority asks you to sort your waste the company which collects it will be getting paid by the various users of these recyclates thus making this cost neutral to the council.

Locally they are charging for a separate fortnightly green waste collection for 4,000 households who sign up for it at £30 PA (which is almost 50% of the current council tax already paid for the district) :fit:

Maggy
27-02-2006, 23:22
If my council pays me extra for sorting out the waste before they collect it I think that's only fair. ;)

If however they charge me for taking away what I have sorted for them they will find one green recycling bin being dumped outside their offices.I will also tell the Mayor why seeing as he's my local counciller and a regular aquaintance. ;)

driver_problems
27-02-2006, 23:23
http://www.kenmills.co.uk/mrf.htm

This will be one of the places crushed recyclate waste goes.

Also if your collection authority asks you to sort your waste the company which collects it will be getting paid by the various users of these recyclates thus making this cost neutral to the council.

Locally they are charging for a separate fortnightly green waste collection for 4,000 households who sign up for it at £30 PA (which is almost 50% of the current council tax already paid for the district) :fit:

yep - I think peterborough is doing a test run on this type of 'additoinal charging' to be phased in to the rest of the country

Kliro
27-02-2006, 23:25
If my council pays me extra for sorting out the waste before they collect it I think that's only fair. ;)

If however they charge me for taking away what I have sorted for them they will find one green recycling bin being dumped outside their offices.I will also tell the Mayor why seeing as he's my local counciller and a regular aquaintance. ;)

Just as long as you don't complain about ANY environmental problems.....

I often do find its the people claiming that the society of today takes no responciability for anything, are the ones in fact, who are themeselves appalled at having to do their part..

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

I often do find its the people claiming that the society of today takes no responciability for anything, are the ones in fact, who are themselves appalled at having to do their part..

Pia
27-02-2006, 23:51
The council should pay me for having to walk what feels like a mile to put my bins out, saving the bin men a trip!

I don't have a wheelie bin either:(
I don't see how a council could charge you for taking your rubbish away, i thought that was part of your council tax:shrug:

Maggy
28-02-2006, 00:07

I often do find its the people claiming that the society of today takes no responciability for anything, are the ones in fact, who are themeselves appalled at having to do their part..

I am not appalled at having to do it..I just don't see why when I have to do half the sorting out of the different types of recyclables eg plastic,card,newspaper etc that I should pay extra.It was bad enough when I had to spend on the petrol to take my recycling to the recycling center because my council hadn't pulled out their finger and sorted out the wheely bins as they had promised to do.Then they had an arson attack at the wheely bin depot which put them behind another year.I was running out of room to store all the stuff.Lots of other people didn't even bother.Then when you get down to the centre you find the glass/tin can container/newspaper is full or has been collected and you either leave it there to get smashed or you bring it home.Some councils have not made recycling easy at all.They didn't even provide for the collection of plastic at all.

Sometimes trying to care for the environment can seem a lonely occupation.That phrase about p*ssing in the wind just about covers it I think. :(

Shaun
28-02-2006, 00:16
yep - I think peterborough is doing a test run on this type of 'additoinal charging' to be phased in to the rest of the country

Bunkum.:rolleyes:

Locally they are charging for a separate fortnightly green waste collection for 4,000 households who sign up for it at £30 PA (which is almost 50% of the current council tax already paid for the district)

Been doing it around here (green waste collection, i.e. garden waste) for an additional fee for ages. Don't want them to compost your garden waste don't pay the fee, it's an additional service nothing to do with the "normal" waste collections.

greencreeper
28-02-2006, 00:41
I've a bin yard, littered with used condoms, where my rubbish goes, along with the rubbish of several other houses and whoever happens to be driving by with a van load of rubble. I've no room in the house for mixed rubbish, much less sorting and storing it. I fill a carrier bag with kitchen waste. Once a week I go round and tidy up - all goes in a bin bag, including the carrier. Then it's out to the bin. They can give us green bins but the kids will only set fire to them or move them into the road.

Pia
28-02-2006, 01:01
I've a bin yard, littered with used condoms

Stop bragging:p::rofl:

;)

Angua
28-02-2006, 08:12

Bunkum.:rolleyes:

Locally they are charging for a separate fortnightly green waste collection for 4,000 households who sign up for it at £30 PA (which is almost 50% of the current council tax already paid for the district)
Been doing it around here (green waste collection, i.e. garden waste) for an additional fee for ages. Don't want them to compost your garden waste don't pay the fee, it's an additional service nothing to do with the "normal" waste collections.

Daftest part is they will collect bags of green waste for free but charge you extra for fortnightly green waste wheely bin collections (only to those first 4,000 who sign up to this though)

Valerie
28-02-2006, 09:54
In my area we have a brown bin for garden waste & cardboard @ £29pa - much easier than getting it to the tip.

Don't see how they could charge for the number of bags of rubbish people put out - how would they monitor illegal dumping on your next door neighbours patch!

Mal
28-02-2006, 10:11
Had wheelie bins since 1988 and garden waste wheelie bins since 2004. Recycling bin since 2003. No charge for any.

Stuart
28-02-2006, 10:21
Never had wheelie bins (the bin men take them grudgingly, and you only get them if you buy them). The bin men are also not supposed to take any organic waste (garden stuff), but do if you are nice to them. Had Recycling since 1999 (which I object to sorting out, as the bin men just check the recycling stuff in the same part of the dust cart as they do the regular rubbish), for which we have been given tiny "bins" (put it this way - buy one item, say a telly, and the packaging from it fills our paper recycling bin).

All this from a council that has (IIRC) just posted the second or third largest council tax increase in the country, and had an offensively high council tax last year.

Oh, and they are a dyed in the wool conservative council.

Angua
28-02-2006, 15:12
Never had wheelie bins (the bin men take them grudgingly, and you only get them if you buy them). The bin men are also not supposed to take any organic waste (garden stuff), but do if you are nice to them. Had Recycling since 1999 (which I object to sorting out, as the bin men just check the recycling stuff in the same part of the dust cart as they do the regular rubbish), for which we have been given tiny "bins" (put it this way - buy one item, say a telly, and the packaging from it fills our paper recycling bin).

All this from a council that has (IIRC) just posted the second or third largest council tax increase in the country, and had an offensively high council tax last year.

Oh, and they are a dyed in the wool conservative council.
We are also in a died in the wool conservative area and are probably going to be the lowest in the country. :shrug:
In my area we have a brown bin for garden waste & cardboard @ £29pa - much easier than getting it to the tip.

Don't see how they could charge for the number of bags of rubbish people put out - how would they monitor illegal dumping on your next door neighbours patch! They take up to 12 bags at a time on 4 separate occasions but you have to book this service. Why I find it so bizarre they are charging for alternate week wheely bin green waste.

WHISTLED
28-02-2006, 15:39
I've a bin yard, littered with used condoms, where my rubbish goes, along with the rubbish of several other houses and whoever happens to be driving by with a van load of rubble. I've no room in the house for mixed rubbish, much less sorting and storing it. I fill a carrier bag with kitchen waste. Once a week I go round and tidy up - all goes in a bin bag, including the carrier. Then it's out to the bin. They can give us green bins but the kids will only set fire to them or move them into the road.

Sounds lovely, bet BBQ's are a hoot :p:

Shaun
28-02-2006, 18:00
Daftest part is they will collect bags of green waste for free but charge you extra for fortnightly green waste wheely bin collections (only to those first 4,000 who sign up to this though)

Round here you had to buy the brown garden waste bags for a couple of quid, now the charge a yearly fee to those that want the brown bins.:) Still can't see the link to them moving to a charge by volume system like the OP stated. :rolleyes:

greencreeper
28-02-2006, 18:36
Sounds lovely, bet BBQ's are a hoot :p:
There's no garden for a BBQ :( - just terraced houses. The bin yard is next to the house. Years ago it was the toilet for the street. I'm lucky having the yard next door - don't have to struggle up the street with a bin bag :D