PDA

View Full Version : Walking & hiking (The Glyders)

driver_problems
27-02-2006, 21:21
Moving on from the impressive Cadair Idris thread, me and some mates are going to do the Glyders in the Snowdonia range in the next couple of months. Has anybody done this? Would appreciate some advice - routes, comments, places to stay etc - It seems that the YHA is the best base? :)

(mistake in the title once again - sorry about that)

ogwalla
28-02-2006, 03:55
This is on my list. Let us know how it goes!

skyblueheroes
28-02-2006, 06:44
Yep, let us know and take photo's !

Now I've done Cader I'm on the lookout for others !

ScaredWebWarrior
28-02-2006, 08:29
Moving on from the impressive Cadair Idris thread, me and some mates are going to do the Glyders in the Snowdonia range in the next couple of months. Has anybody done this? Would appreciate some advice - routes, comments, places to stay etc - It seems that the YHA is the best base? :)The Glyders are my 2nd favourite after Snowdon.

For me the BEST way up is through the Devil's Kitchen. The wonderful walk by the lake and then approaching the vertical wall that is the Devil's Kitchen.

Looking far more challenging than it is, it is a good ascent - just as you get to the top there you literally step onto a plateau from which you can look back down and it surely is a wonderful sight.

I always like to sit and make a cuppa by the small lake on this plateau. You can then look towards the Glyders themselves - and you'll see you've got a bit of a way to go before you get to the top.

There's 2 ways up from here. Either go straight up behind the small lake - that's a bit of a scramble and hard work, but it's straighforward. The other way is to go to your right, around the back and ascend from there. It was 25 years since I tried that route, so I can't really describe it. I think it's possibly a better route.

Once you're on top, you basically walk along the ridge. If you walk along the western edge, you'll find the Cantilever Rock - dare you to sit on the end and dangle your legs over :)

From there, if you carry on to the northern end of the ridge, there is a footpath on the western face, that runs straight down towards the saddle between the Glyders and Tryfan (Now there's another great peak!)

If you carry on over the saddle and down you'll end up back in the valley where you started.

Alternatively, turn right at the saddle, climb up Tryfan and then jump from Adam to Eve (you'll see when you get there ;)) and down the other side, which drops you into the carpark.

The Glyders are a wonderful day out and not really tricky. (Though having been up there in a blizzard, I can't recommend them in that kind of weather!)
Tryfan, however, is much more tricky. More climb than walk, but fabulous nonetheless.

I can guarantee you will have a wicked time. Info on the Snowdonia peaks (http://www.hightrek.co.uk/snowdonia/peaks.htm).

Can't help you on accommodation - when I did it last I camped at the base of Snowdon, climbed that on the Saturday and then packed up and did the Glyders on the Sunday.

littld
28-02-2006, 09:57
Should be illegal. Poor wales.

Oh walking, I see. That's okay then.

altis
28-02-2006, 10:40
If you're confident on your feet then you could try this:

Up the North Ridge of Tryfan; Leap between Adam and Eve; down the ridge on the south side to the col and then straight up Bristly Ridge; have your photo taken on the Cantelever on Glyder Fach; troll along the top passing the Castell y Gwynt (Castle of the Winds) to Glyder Fawr; down the hill to Llyn y Cwn then down Devil's Kitchen; past Llyn Idwall and all the climbers on Idwall Slabs; then down to the road at Idwall Cottage. In descent weather, this must be one of the best days out in Britain.

There's a YHA at Idwall Cottage and also a nice camp site a little way along the road towards Capel Curig.

danielf
28-02-2006, 10:57
Some terrifying (imo) photos here:

http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/pg/gl/gl.html

I think it's fair to say the chances of running into me up there are near zero . :disturbd: But, some might say that can only be a good thing :D

ScaredWebWarrior
28-02-2006, 11:10
If you're confident on your feet then you could try this:Lol. That's more or less my route in reverse. Except you've picked the 'extreme' way up to the Glyders and what is, in my opinion, the least satisfying way to experience the Devils' Kitchen - going down.

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Some terrifying (imo) photos here:Some rather nice pics. I actually think those pics are nothing like as terrifying as some of the actual views. LOL.

Thing is, they only look terrifying. You don't have to do anything 'risky' to get full enjoyment.
I think it's fair to say the chances of running into me up there are near zero .I have a terrible head for heights. I hate tall buildings - I even get queasy walking over bridges.

Despite all of that, while I might not go for climbing the vertical walls you'd see on your left as you went up the Devil's Kitchen, the rest of the route I described is an easy walk. You get to see the most spectacular views too.

If you get the chance, go, you'll not regret it.

driver_problems
28-02-2006, 12:29
thanks for all the advice and assistance. Will post some photos as soon as they happen. Best thing about trips like this is that you don't have to muck about with airports and the like and the drive up there is quite nice also :)

danielf
28-02-2006, 12:34
<snip>

If you get the chance, go, you'll not regret it.

Actually, I do like walking, and we do go quite regularly. I prefer shorter walks (3 hours - 4 max) though. Any more and my feet start to ache (with proper boots). But I may find myself out there some time.

altis
10-03-2006, 10:16
Actually, I do like walking, and we do go quite regularly. I prefer shorter walks (3 hours - 4 max) though. Any more and my feet start to ache (with proper boots). But I may find myself out there some time.
Perhaps you need some custom footbeds - try a podiatrist.

Anyway, my reason for reawakening this thread is that I notice that this month's Trail magazine has quite a big article about a long weekend in the mountains for newbies. First day out is - guess what - the Glyders. Their route starts and finishes at the Pen-y-Gwrd hotel (also well worth a look). If you're interested then, at £3.50, the mag is well worth the money - and there's some excellent pictures too.

ScaredWebWarrior
10-03-2006, 10:28
Anyway, my reason for reawakening this thread is that I notice that this month's Trail magazine has quite a big article about a long weekend in the mountains for newbies. First day out is - guess what - the Glyders. Their route starts and finishes at the Pen-y-Gwrd hotel (also well worth a look). If you're interested then, at £3.50, the mag is well worth the money - and there's some excellent pictures too.I think I may try track that down.

That Hotel, that's the one on the NE side of the Glyders, isn't it? There's a path up/down from that - you'd get onto the Glyders but miss out on doing the Devil's Kitchen.

I recall using that route to come down one year when we got caught ina blizzard (and 2ft deep snow) on top and we were looking for a fast, safe way off the Glyders.

BTW - does the hotel still have the tables with names carved in etc?

altis
10-03-2006, 10:54
Here's the PYG:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=266015&y=355855&z=3&sv=266015,355855&ax=266015&ay=355855

It's the hotel that the first team to summit Everest meet in every 5 years. There's an 'Everest' room with the signatures of many summiteers on the ceiling. Look carefully and you'll find "E.P.Hillary".

The Trail route heads out NE along the Miner's Track and then bears left across G.Fach and G.Fawr then left again, down the ridge, past Llyn Cwmffynnon and home. I've done this, or something very similar, a couple of times. As I remember, the Miner's track can be wet underfoot but the last bit by Llyn C. and over Moel Berfedd is quite pretty.

ScaredWebWarrior
10-03-2006, 11:00
Here's the PYG:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=266015&y=355855&z=3&sv=266015,355855&ax=266015&ay=355855 Ah, that's the one I meant - was obviously thinking upside down. lol.

It's the hotel that the first team to summit Everest meet in every 5 years. There's an 'Everest' room with the signatures of many summiteers on the ceiling. Look carefully and you'll find "E.P.Hillary".Their tables also used to have signatures scrawled in them. Chris Bonnington (who I met a few years ago) was one, and mine is there somewhere as well :)

driver_problems
10-03-2006, 11:10
Ah, that's the one
http://www.pyg.co.uk/INDEX.html

room prices are as follows:
£35 per person per night without private bathroom
£40 per person per night with private bathroom

£42 per person per night for the 'garden room'
£24 per person for the five course meal which includes coffee

Weekends tend to be busiest as you can imagine

driver_problems
13-04-2006, 16:02
have pencilled in 20 April for heading up there :)

anyone got any ideas about weather and stuff at this time of year?

Chris
13-04-2006, 17:15
have pencilled in 20 April for heading up there :)

anyone got any ideas about weather and stuff at this time of year?

Assume it's going to p*** down and pack accordingly. Then you'll be pleasantly surprised if it's nice.

In all seriousness, it could very well be extremely wet and cold at the top, so you need waterproof jacket and leggings, and an extra layer or two in your pack if you need to keep warm as you ascend. Gloves and hat are also a must.

And keep a dry change of clothes in the car to change into when you get back. If the rain doesn't get you, your own sweat will. :erm: ;)

altis
13-04-2006, 17:27
March winds, April showers bring forth May flowers so, like Chris says, plan for anything.

On the subject of sweat, remember that you can always take layers off too. That way, no matter how much work you're putting in, you can maintain a fairly constant body temperature. And don't put your GoreTex on 'til it's actually raining!

Have a great time :)

driver_problems
18-04-2006, 23:27
March winds, April showers bring forth May flowers so, like Chris says, plan for anything.

On the subject of sweat, remember that you can always take layers off too. That way, no matter how much work you're putting in, you can maintain a fairly constant body temperature. And don't put your GoreTex on 'til it's actually raining!

Have a great time :)

yeah will do - from the pics you look like you know your stuff. :)

altis
19-04-2006, 14:53
I've just found these webcams in the area - useful for checking out the weather:

http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/index.php

driver_problems
19-04-2006, 15:12
I've just found these webcams in the area - useful for checking out the weather:

http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/oggi_cam/index.php

cheers I appreciate that :)

driver_problems
23-04-2006, 21:39
Wetaher was great - glyders pictures to follow as something went wrong with the bl**dy camera :mad: unsure if pictures got lost or not :dunce:

The pictures here were taken on the snowdon crib goch route

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

crib cogh was quite scary I thought and the helicopter that was buzzing around for hours making an irritating noise was probably something to do with this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4935738.stm)
:(

Make sure you have a mobile phone on the orange network if you want to make a call or text on anything other than the very summits - t-mobile (and pretty much everything else apparently) is dead in all surrounding areas

Halcyon
23-04-2006, 21:41
Lovely photos ! :tu:
Glad you had a great time out there.

driver_problems
23-04-2006, 21:53
`

---------- Post added at 21:53 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Lovely photos ! :tu:
Glad you had a great time out there.

when I went there previosuly it was on th pYG route - which was fairly tame - this one was a brown trousers job - I was left hanging like the sword of damocles at one point :Yikes:

tick
23-04-2006, 22:18
Looks like you had good weather
how did you arange that
it mostly rain when i go there

driver_problems
23-04-2006, 22:52
Looks like you had good weather
how did you arange that
it mostly rain when i go there

pot luck I guess :)

I would have liked to have spent longer up there (in the area) but will be planning more trips shortly i reckon :)

drove all the way back to south wales on obscure scenic routes and discovered all manner of stuff i did not realise existed

weirdworldstate
26-04-2006, 09:35
The pictures here were taken on the snowdon crib goch routeI always wanted to try that, but having seen the picture of the actual ridge I'm not so sure - it looks like walking on a knife-edge! :Yikes:

Chris
26-04-2006, 10:12
I always wanted to try that, but having seen the picture of the actual ridge I'm not so sure - it looks like walking on a knife-edge! :Yikes:

It is like walking on a knife edge. ;) But it's tremendous fun. Actually, you walk a little below the knife edge and the footing is ok, so long as you're careful. The best thing about it is that it's reasonably quiet, which is a rarity on Snowdon.

altis
26-04-2006, 13:38
Here's (http://www.warringtonbears.org.uk/cwmdyli/index.htm) some more pics from a trip around the Snowdon horseshoe in 2003.

Crib Goch counts as a 'scramble'. These fall somewhere in the large gap between walking and rock climbing. They are graded 1, 2, 3 or 3S. Grade 1 is the easiest and 3S is more like a rock climb. I wonder what the 'S' stands for! As well as difficulty, the grades are also supposed to take account of the commitment of a route, ie. whether there is an easier alternative. On Crib Goch there is a little path to the south of the ridge along most, but not all, of it. Some routes are also given stars. One star means it is a nice route and three means it is superb. IIRC, Crib Goch is grade one with three stars. Of course, all this grading is very subjective and what seems easy on a nice sunny day can be frightening in poor weather. I remember doing the grade 1 scramble on Clogwy D'ur Arddu on the other side of Snowdon in very grey and damp weather and literally shaking with fear after completing the crux move.

If you want to do more, there is a good guide called Scrambles in Snowdonia published by Cicerone Press.

Chris
26-04-2006, 13:46
Here's (http://www.warringtonbears.org.uk/cwmdyli/index.htm) some more pics from a trip around the Snowdon horseshoe in 2003.

Thanks for those, they bring back memories - it's 10 years or more since I was up there. :)