PDA

View Full Version : Recently moved house

sn0wman1
27-02-2006, 18:17
Hey people :)

Seem to be having some problems with NTL since a house move. The engineer who installed the CM left very quickly when he heard that I also used VPN to connect to w*rk. Have spoken to Tech Support about this and they keep wanting to blame the VPN software on my laptop even though it's not called upon until I specifically request it (which I'm not doing at the moment, as I know that it HAS to have working BB connection before it can do its thing.)
IP addy being returned through ipconfig is 62.***.***.107 which looks reasonable(?).
Am unable to ping anything.
When installing the CM software it seems to dump me out at the registration section. According to TS it's due to there being something on my PC which is blocking SSL connections.
Any hints/tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if things have changed a lot since I last had dealings to TS, but at no stage have they asked for the MAC addy of the new modem .. it was always one of the first things they used to check when I'd previously had probs.

<mod edit: Chris W> ip address removed for security

homealone
27-02-2006, 18:35
hi :welcome:

- up to you, but I would edit your IP to remove the last octet, to ensure your privacy.

- one weird thing is that a trace route to that IP does not give a customer number that matches the last octet, and usually it does???

Chris W
27-02-2006, 19:24
are you using Freedom ADSL as your profile says, or cable broadband?

If your ip ends 107 then there is no need to go through the registration process- this ip should grant full net access.

Have you tried browsing by ip address instead of fqdn?

homealone
27-02-2006, 19:29

If your ip ends 107 then there is no need to go through the registration process- this ip should grant full net access.

ah, didn't notice the Freedom mention in the OP's profile - presumably that explains why the customer number & last octet didn't match, as they do on NTL BB?

sn0wman1
27-02-2006, 19:54
The profile info is wrong - this does relate to cable. I haven't tried browsing by IP address as I get unresolved hostname when I try and ping www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) - which I know is a pingable fqdn.

Chris W
27-02-2006, 20:04
have you got dns servers specified? if so then try removing these

just to check you are connecting through a SACM not a STB aren't you??

BarFly
27-02-2006, 22:20

things have changed, need to do NS lookup on ip addy now to see if pre reg or registered........

what does the first part of the ns lookup come back as... eg. 1cpc or 1sur..etc...

Chris W
27-02-2006, 22:42
things have changed, need to do NS lookup on ip addy now to see if pre reg or registered........

what does the first part of the ns lookup come back as... eg. 1cpc or 1sur..etc...

ah hah...

well can't remember what the whole ip was, so the OP will have to do the lookup...

Marge
27-02-2006, 22:52
Could it be that the account is in the "house move" stage so it's waiting for you to re-register the modem??

Could try going to "autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/housemove" and try entering your username and password...............