PDA

View Full Version : New Car - Some Advice and Pointers Please

Graham M
27-02-2006, 10:50
Hi there, I've just been given IE Paid No Money by a friend mainly as it has a few problems, It's in good condition and I beleive it to be servicable.
Download Failed (1)

It's an M-Reg Suzuki Swift 1.3 GS (1994) and it has a few minor problems. I beleive the Windscreen to leak at the top (Ive no experienced it but there is tape at the top so I can only assume) Is there an easy way to repair leaks like this?

I *think* the starter motor needs replacing as sometimes it heaves a bit trying to start up, seems to struggle although the battery seems ok (And Apparently is brand new) So im not sure.

It looks like someone has tried to break into the Car Before as there is trim missing around the Driver-Side Window so I can only think water is leaking into the door and I think the Driver Side Window is a little broken (In Up/Down Motion).

It's taxed until EO March, Im not insured to drive it yet but hope to sort that over the next week and then I can sort it out. It's lovely to drive (took it round the car park) and all in all seems in good condition.

1. Are these faults easy to repair, where is the best place to get spares, I have a guy who says he will replace the starter motor for a tenner but I have to find a suitable one first. Are Starter Motors Fairly Generic or are they specific to each car?

2. As for the possibly leaky Windscreen; is there any sealant, etc. that will do the trick on this?

3. If I can find a matching one up the scrapyard, would it be more economical to try and replace the driver side door itself rather than attempt repair?

4. When I go to tax the car, what documents will I need to take?

Bear in mind I have not passed my test yet so this will be a run around car for experience, etc. And need not be perfect. I've not had much in the way of experience with Mechanics, etc. so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

bopdude
27-02-2006, 11:09
1, the faults aren't major, Starters are specific to make and to some extent model.

2, I wouldn't advise sealant for the leak, it would look naff, better of going somewhere to get a quote.

3, You may just getthe strip from the scrappy, although if neede you might get the whole door in your colour.

4Docs you will need, Insurance, test, log book, as it's not in your name you'll need to fill out a form at the P/O..

Think thats it....HTH :tu:

Graham M
27-02-2006, 11:17
4Docs you will need, Insurance, test, log book, as it's not in your name you'll need to fill out a form at the P/O..

Think thats it....HTH :tu:

The Change of Ownership has now been filled in and the car will be in my name soon enough.

1. OK getting Insurance sharpish anyway
2. Test - You mean the latest MOT?
3. I think I have it, what does it look like generally, and what's in it? - What details do they need from it?

Gareth
27-02-2006, 11:19
Have a look here (http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_tax_car.htm#1) for what you'll need to tax your car.

Chris
27-02-2006, 11:34
The Change of Ownership has now been filled in and the car will be in my name soon enough.

1. OK getting Insurance sharpish anyway
2. Test - You mean the latest MOT?
3. I think I have it, what does it look like generally, and what's in it? - What details do they need from it?

Yes, a valid MOT certificate. What 'it' are you referring to in (3)?

Graham M
27-02-2006, 11:38
Sorry Logbook I was going by the order Bop mentioned it.

Chris
27-02-2006, 11:42
Sorry Logbook I was going by the order Bop mentioned it.
Aha ... 'logbook' is a very old fashioned way of saying 'vehicle registration document'. The DVLA calls it V5, or the new European standard one is V5C. Your friend needs to fill part of this in and send it to DVLA to say he is no longer keeper of the vehicle. He needs to fill in another part and give it to you, to show that you are the keeper, until such time as DVLA posts you your own copy of the form.

The bit of it that your friend gives you is sufficient to show at the Post Office. They just need proof that you own the car you are trying to tax.

In essence, what they want to know is:

1. The car is insured.
2. The car is roadworthy.
3. You are the owner.

Graham M
27-02-2006, 11:43
OK fair enough, the Tear-off Slip from the Change of Keeper form?

Chris
27-02-2006, 11:44
OK fair enough, the Tear-off Slip from the Change of Keeper form?

Yes, the Change of Keeper form is part of the V5 Registration Document.

Graham M
27-02-2006, 11:49
Aha I see, it's all starting to make sense now!

BTW its my Dad that got me calling it a Log Book lol.

Graham M
27-02-2006, 22:30
Can anyone recommend some good insurance companies, the cheapest quote i've gotten is from Tesco/Directline at about £800 for me as a named and my mum as the main driver.
Cheers.

Chris W
27-02-2006, 22:48
you probably won't find any insurance much cheaper than that given your age/ experience.

Try www.confused.com for a search of a few insurance companies.

My first car insurance was £1300 in my name on a G reg 1.0l metro :(

Doing PassPlus (when you pass of course!) may reduce your premium- Tescos gave me a 15% discount for doing it.

Be a bit careful about having your mum as the main driver if she isn't actually going to be the main driver- the insurance company will try to wriggle out of paying if you need to make a claim. You also won't earn a no claims bonus (unless you go with DirectLine, who do give no claims bonuses to named drivers).

driver_problems
27-02-2006, 22:52
essentially 2 points

1) is it insured?

2) when's the fire? :D

Chris
27-02-2006, 23:19
Is that fully comprehensive insurance? TBH I'd question whether it's worth getting more than third-party only.

In fact, I suspect that car is probably not even worth £800. Closest I can find on Autotrader is a 1996 P reg, going for a mere £695.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=SUZUKI&model=SWIFT&min_pr=75&max_pr=2000&postcode=g63%200aw&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1

Graham M
28-02-2006, 00:14
Insurance premium decreases by nearly £200 for me in May as ill be 21, will I see a discount in my premiums then? That quote is for third party fire and theft. To be honest the car was free and whatever I do with it is a bonus. Worst comes to the worst i will put it in the Ad-Trader, etc. The Tax runs out end of March, if I can't get it insured by then, what can I do?

ZrByte
28-02-2006, 01:40
Is that fully comprehensive insurance? TBH I'd question whether it's worth getting more than third-party only.

In fact, I suspect that car is probably not even worth £800. Closest I can find on Autotrader is a 1996 P reg, going for a mere £695.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?nU=0&make=SUZUKI&model=SWIFT&min_pr=75&max_pr=2000&postcode=g63%200aw&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1&photo=1

I think that it is more than likeley Third party or third party fire & theft. My first years insurance when I was 21 cost £750 TPF&T and that was on a 93 Vauxhall corsa wich could only put out 33bhp even when it was brand new (and this beast had 173,000 on the clock when I got it so it was anything but new).
I now have 1 years no claims, 1 years driving experience and on a 2001 75bhp Renault Clio. The Insurance cost me exactly £750 again :) . So as you can see its pretty steep for us young'uns these days :) .

For the OP, insurance companies that offered me the cheapest quotes where, Liverpool Victoria and Tesco. Though apparently ASDA have got quite good these days since they switched brokers (im going to look into them in october when I renew my policy as I get an additional 10% off).

Nidge
28-02-2006, 05:05
you probably won't find any insurance much cheaper than that given your age/ experience.

Try www.confused.com for a search of a few insurance companies.

My first car insurance was £1300 in my name on a G reg 1.0l metro :(

Doing PassPlus (when you pass of course!) may reduce your premium- Tescos gave me a 15% discount for doing it.

Be a bit careful about having your mum as the main driver if she isn't actually going to be the main driver- the insurance company will try to wriggle out of paying if you need to make a claim. You also won't earn a no claims bonus (unless you go with DirectLine, who do give no claims bonuses to named drivers).

Wow a high powered car there Chris:D :D :D I noticed on the TV the other day an insurance company is offering a policy where you can put more than one car on policy.

Chris W
28-02-2006, 07:07
Wow a high powered car there Chris:D :D :D I noticed on the TV the other day an insurance company is offering a policy where you can put more than one car on policy.

it was a fantastic car! got 2 years use out of it, and it managed to earn me 6 points for speeding (95 and 84mph so it did go a bit! :p )

Now i've got a Rover 25 which things keep going wrong with but that's another story!! Next month (touch wood) i will have accumalated 4 years no claims, and my premium is still going to be around £695 with a £400 excess :(

Graham M
28-02-2006, 07:42
Morning all :) Right, the tax runs out at End of March. What do I do if I can't afford to insure it by then? The premiums are high enough but they want quite a big deposit up front. Obviously it wouldn't be driven until insured, but is there some way i can tide it over til I can afford the outlay and still have it on the road?

Thanks

Chris
28-02-2006, 09:35
Morning all :) Right, the tax runs out at End of March. What do I do if I can't afford to insure it by then? The premiums are high enough but they want quite a big deposit up front. Obviously it wouldn't be driven until insured, but is there some way i can tide it over til I can afford the outlay and still have it on the road?

Thanks
I think you should keep it in that church car park (or wherever it is in that photo) until May when you turn 21. You will need to fill in a 'Statutory Off Road Notification' (SORN) if you choose not to tax it, and after that it must not be on a public road at all. If you can't leave it where it is, put it on a driveway.

Your insurance premium will come down when you turn 21, quite significantly. Unfortunately the quotes you are getting now do not take account of the fact that you will turn 21 within the 12 months' insurance you are buying. It's age on date of commencement that counts.

When you are 21, get quotes for third party only, and third party plus fire and theft. You may find TPFT more palatable then, but bear in mind you shouldn't pay more than the car is worth. If the worst happens and the car is a total loss for some reason, there's no point you paying £800 insurance if they are only going to value it at £500 and then give you a 'write off' cheque for £300 (the other £200 or so being your 'young driver excess').

Graham M
28-02-2006, 16:08
I think you should keep it in that church car park (or wherever it is in that photo) until May when you turn 21. You will need to fill in a 'Statutory Off Road Notification' (SORN) if you choose not to tax it, and after that it must not be on a public road at all. If you can't leave it where it is, put it on a driveway.

Your insurance premium will come down when you turn 21, quite significantly. Unfortunately the quotes you are getting now do not take account of the fact that you will turn 21 within the 12 months' insurance you are buying. It's age on date of commencement that counts.

When you are 21, get quotes for third party only, and third party plus fire and theft. You may find TPFT more palatable then, but bear in mind you shouldn't pay more than the car is worth. If the worst happens and the car is a total loss for some reason, there's no point you paying £800 insurance if they are only going to value it at £500 and then give you a 'write off' cheque for £300 (the other £200 or so being your 'young driver excess').

Yeah I was thinking about that this morning, if the worst comes to the worst; my step-grandparents have said that I can park it on their driveway for a month or 2. Shame really as I'd have liked to have had it running asap. But if I can't afford it, that's that. Trouble is, it would mean I'd have to get the car there by semi-illegal means IE no-one is insured to drive it, might get my Dad to drive it there as its better to be uninsured and licensed than neither I guess. I Will find out when the previous owner's insurance finishes.

Gareth
28-02-2006, 17:30
If it's currently insured by the previous owner, tell him you'll buy him a pint if he drives it to your Grand Parents' place, and you might even pay his bus fare home too.

Other than that, you could pay for a local garage to put it on one of their trucks and drive it there, but that's gonna cost you more than the price of a pint and a bus fare.

Otherwise, paying the fine if your dad gets caught DWI, plus his increased insurance premiums for having a conviction, would cost you even more than the garage will charge you. And you don't want to know how much it would cost if you have an accident whilst DWI :Yikes:

budwieser
28-02-2006, 22:51
Hi there, I've just been given IE Paid No Money by a friend mainly as it has a few problems, It's in good condition and I beleive it to be servicable.
Download Failed (1)

It's an M-Reg Suzuki Swift 1.3 GS (1994) and it has a few minor problems. I beleive the Windscreen to leak at the top (Ive no experienced it but there is tape at the top so I can only assume) Is there an easy way to repair leaks like this?

I *think* the starter motor needs replacing as sometimes it heaves a bit trying to start up, seems to struggle although the battery seems ok (And Apparently is brand new) So im not sure.

It looks like someone has tried to break into the Car Before as there is trim missing around the Driver-Side Window so I can only think water is leaking into the door and I think the Driver Side Window is a little broken (In Up/Down Motion).

It's taxed until EO March, Im not insured to drive it yet but hope to sort that over the next week and then I can sort it out. It's lovely to drive (took it round the car park) and all in all seems in good condition.

1. Are these faults easy to repair, where is the best place to get spares, I have a guy who says he will replace the starter motor for a tenner but I have to find a suitable one first. Are Starter Motors Fairly Generic or are they specific to each car?

2. As for the possibly leaky Windscreen; is there any sealant, etc. that will do the trick on this?

3. If I can find a matching one up the scrapyard, would it be more economical to try and replace the driver side door itself rather than attempt repair?

4. When I go to tax the car, what documents will I need to take?

Bear in mind I have not passed my test yet so this will be a run around car for experience, etc. And need not be perfect. I've not had much in the way of experience with Mechanics, etc. so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

Check the output voltage from the alternator to the battery first with a meter to make sure that it is deffo the battery.
The drivers door trim is an Outer scraper moulding and should only be about £12.00.
Your windscreen can just be cut out and resealed, should only take about 30 mins inc removing/refitting all the trims.That`ll cure the leaks providing the roof has not gone rusty.!:)
Are the front windows manual or Electric?. If manual i would say about £38.00 for a new regulator(Window winding mechanism).
Anything you want to know, feel free to PM me.

Graham M
03-03-2006, 17:35
Good news everyone (in the voice of Dr. Hugh Farnsworth) :D

Just got a quote of £535 third party fire and theft from the insurer that we had our old car with (they took into consideration the 2 years no claims, etc. and they still had all our details on file, even my name as a named driver.

So we've ordered the documentation which we've gotta fill out, with any luck, should be insured by next week! :D

Graham M
07-03-2006, 13:48
Starter Motor is on its way :)

Graham M
11-03-2006, 18:09
Just to let you helpful Bods know that I had the new Starter Motor put in today, replaced the Battery and all is well :) Just needs some TLC (and a couple of new tyres ;)) Now :D

Graham M
23-06-2006, 16:28
Update :) Well ive been driving it for a few months now, its had some of the TLC needed and is a very well behaved little motor, Its MOT is due in September (end of) and Im hoping that it'll pass without any major issues.

My Baby From the Rear:
http://205.234.235.180/imagehosting2/hosted/947721151076135.jpg
From the Front:
http://205.234.235.180/imagehosting2/hosted/773861151076230.jpg
From the Side:
http://205.234.235.180/imagehosting2/hosted/926281151076257.jpg

Not bad for £300 and my first car eh? :)

Russ
23-06-2006, 16:30
Not bad at all - what year is it?

Graham M
23-06-2006, 16:31
M (1994)

Russ
23-06-2006, 16:32
Definately a good buy then :)

Graham M
23-06-2006, 16:33
Well if you read the beginning part youll see i was given it, £300 is what ive basically spent on it (may be even a little bit less) to get it running nicely and looking good, and road legal ;)

budwieser
23-06-2006, 17:22
Nice clean looking car mate, Hope we`ve been of some help to you and more importantly, saved you some money!:D

Hugh
23-06-2006, 17:37
If your parents (or friends or parents of friends) have fully comprehensive insurance, they should be able to drive your car to your relatives driveway. Fully Comp gives you Third Party Fire & Theft coverage for other cars (usually, but it is best to check their Insurance Documents).

Hope this helps.

Graham M
23-06-2006, 17:39
Check the date on the post you replied to :)

Russ
23-06-2006, 17:40
Whatever you do, don't look after your car the way this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/5110270.stm) plank did :disturbd:

Graham M
23-06-2006, 17:43
What a t**t

budwieser
23-06-2006, 17:52
What a t**t

Seconded. :td: :confused:

Nidge
23-06-2006, 18:13
If your parents (or friends or parents of friends) have fully comprehensive insurance, they should be able to drive your car to your relatives driveway. Fully Comp gives you Third Party Fire & Theft coverage for other cars (usually, but it is best to check their Insurance Documents).

Hope this helps.

I beg to differ on that one mate, the insurance will only cover you for the car mentioned when taking out cover, the open policy system was stopped a few years ago because people were buying top of the range cars then getting fully comp on a banger, this was making it legal for them to drive anything.

Hugh
23-06-2006, 18:29
I beg to differ on that one mate, the insurance will only cover you for the car mentioned when taking out cover, the open policy system was stopped a few years ago because people were buying top of the range cars then getting fully comp on a banger, this was making it legal for them to drive anything.

My wife's fully comp insurance from ASDA provides TPF&T for other cars, and her mother's from DirectLine does the same.

Can only go on the evidence available to me.
http://www.asdafinance.com/files/carins.pdf
Page 28

any other car driven by you, with the

owners express consent, in the British Isles
as long as;
†“ that car does not belong to you, is
not being hired to you under a
hire-purchase agreement, and your
certificate of motor insurance shows
that you are insured to drive that

car

Nidge
23-06-2006, 19:05
My wife's fully comp insurance from ASDA provides TPF&T for other cars, and her mother's from DirectLine does the same.

Can only go on the evidence available to me.
http://www.asdafinance.com/files/carins.pdf
Page 28

any other car driven by you, with the

owners express consent, in the British Isles
as long as;
†“ that car does not belong to you, is
not being hired to you under a
hire-purchase agreement, and your
certificate of motor insurance shows
that you are insured to drive that

car

Mmm my insurance company stopped it a few years ago, I'll have to look into changing companies, thanks for the link.:tu: :tu: :tu:

Graham M
24-06-2006, 00:09
http://205.234.235.180/imagehosting2/hosted/593381151103952.jpg
Here's the route I did tonight and 2 nights ago, managed it much better this time 'round :) It's about 30 miles all in

Jules
24-06-2006, 14:20
When I read the news story Russ posted I killed my self laughing when I read he used a rolled up carpet for a bumper :rofl:

Any way Zeph when is the dreaded test?

ZrByte
25-06-2006, 19:26
Mmm my insurance company stopped it a few years ago, I'll have to look into changing companies, thanks for the link.:tu: :tu: :tu:

Its probably not what you think, there was a change a couple years back and now companies require the other car to be insured. I.e. you can drive any vehicle as long as you have the permission of the driver currently insured on it and that it has at least thrid party cover. So you can't drive a car home and then insure it (say from a car auction) as some people think you can, this is still illegal.
Wheras my TPF&T insurance still doesnt cover me to drive another car even if that one is allready covered TP and I have the drivers permission.

If that makes sense :)