PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth Area - Slow

shibby
26-02-2006, 15:52
This week well even last few weeks i have noticed the internet has been really slow!
It's getting anoying as i'm on the 2mb and share the net with 3 other computers. Even when they are not even switched on the internet is just so slow. It takes ages to load up pages such as bbc or even google.
Are NTL doing any work in the portsmouth/cosham area?

mike24
26-02-2006, 15:59
Im in Southsea, on 10Mbps, and have 7.12 Mbps.
You state you share the net with 3 other computers, if you are accessing the net at the same time, you will see a drop!

shibby
26-02-2006, 20:52
Yes but as i said the pc's aren't even on and the net has slowed in recent weeks, where as before that everything was fine!

ToiletGamer
26-02-2006, 20:59
Have you checked for Spyware, Malware and other things that could be eating up your bandwith?

V3n0m
26-02-2006, 21:14
Broadband Speed Test Results

Results from broadband speed test recorded on Sunday, 26 February 2006, 20:11.
Your Connection

Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)
Downstream413 Kbps (51.6 KB/sec)446 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream417 Kbps (52.1 KB/sec)450 Kbps (inc. overheads)
'Actual Speed' is the amount of useful data that your connection can transmit/receive per second. The 'True Speed' figure includes an approximation of data overheads (non-useful data) and is estimated to be around 8%. 'True Speed' is for informational purposes only and is not used in any ISP rankings.
NOTE: Your downstream speed result is very low for the type of connection specified (Cable, 10Mbps). We strongly recommend that you check your Internet connection is not being used elsewhere during the test and/or contact your ISP to resolve speed issues you may be experiencing.
Speed Comparison Chart

Tip: hover your mouse over each bar to display more information.</B>
Red bars indicate results from your test (upstream/downstream). The Grey portion of each bar represents estimated packet overheads.

now this is slow.......i am on 10mb:mad:

monkey2468
26-02-2006, 22:25
This week well even last few weeks i have noticed the internet has been really slow!
It's getting anoying as i'm on the 2mb and share the net with 3 other computers. Even when they are not even switched on the internet is just so slow. It takes ages to load up pages such as bbc or even google.
Are NTL doing any work in the portsmouth/cosham area?

Have you tried a direct connection to the modem/STB rather than through a router?

V3n0m, thats very poor speeds, what do you get from the speed test on this site?

V3n0m
27-02-2006, 08:12
The test gave me a graph as well,but couldn't post it on here:(

The real annoying thing is when i phone up NTL....they tell me there isn't a problem:confused:

shibby
27-02-2006, 09:25
Well i will try directly connecting to the box or even restarting it.
But this money it seems abit more zipper. probley overload of the network in the evenings that's causing the problem

Fridge
27-02-2006, 19:16
Hi,
I am in Portsmouth in the Cosham area I and am having the same problem. I have a 2 meg pipe and have checked with all the bandwidth sites and am only getting 578kbps. This has been an ongoing problem for some time now, and it's starting to annoy me. I have the same as shibby and have three computers connected on a wireless network. I am currently on my laptop and no other computers are on in the house and above was the result. I have reset the router and and the set top box but am still getting the same problem. I have gone into dos and checked the ping rate of the default gateway and am getting a jumping connection. the last check was a 25% packet loss with a 1 to 32ms seek time. I think there is a problem on the network and have reported this but all to know avail. I am also annoyed that they keep doing things on the network without informing the customer. Can this be sorted out as I have been with NTL for many years and have recommended many people to their network.:mad:

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Sorry about the spelling mistakes on my last thread. Before anyone replies I have checked my router and have also tried direct connection into the box. I have a strong 54 meg connection at all times on my wireless network and it is WEP PSK so no other people can access my network.:angel:

Chrysalis
28-02-2006, 02:08
has anyone got the portsmouth ip range? I wonder what transits ntl are using for the area.

Fridge
28-02-2006, 02:25
Please let me know if you do. I will make some investigations of my own
Regards Fridge

---------- Post added at 01:25 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

You have electronic running from my street to the TAN. You have eletronic or fibre from their to the TAN. You have a Coax from the DDF to the the Router. I hope from their it is fibre to the 1Xe then on to a 4Xe then 16Xe then a 64XE. How hard can it be to find the fault. Give me the router ip and and pass, and the engineer's name, and will fault trace it myself.

Regards
Fridge

allanprg
28-02-2006, 02:27
I've been having trouble on my 1mb connection. I'm having a up and down time. Sometimes it works at normal speed. Like the afternoon. Then this evening for instance no broadband then intermittant. With very slows speeds or nothing. Even tried several other proxies but that wasn't any good either.Had this trouble off and on since Christmas. I'm on an Samsung stb.But I thought about maybe going on a sacm.See if that would make any difference.:(

mike24
28-02-2006, 04:56
Im in Southsea on 10Mbps and get the following,
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 03:54:31 UTC

1st 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps
2nd 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
3rd 512K took 422 ms = 1213.3 KB/sec, approx 9998 Kbps, 9.76 Mbps
4th 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9730 Kbps, 9.5 Mbps