PDA

View Full Version : Telewest installation

Schnitzel
25-02-2006, 17:02
Hello

Would anybody be able to tell me whether they think that I'd be able to get the Telewest blueyonder installed how I've shown in the diagram.
I'm in my parents house, and this is the only way they want the wire to go.

Legend:
Cable Wire: Blue
Option #1: Yellow
Option #2: Pink
Green Star: Holly tree
Black lines (on left): Fences

The rest should be pretty much self explanatory. The thing is, the cable outlet we have outside the house is on the right side of the wall. Would they install anoyther one on the left, because we can't have the path touched, or would they be able to put the wire under the pavement?
This is pretty much the only way I'd be able to enjoy 10Mb cable.

There's already a cable going between Room 1 and 2, so the wire could go into either one of those. But we need the wire to come down on the left side of the house.

I had thought about emailing Telewest about this, but theres supposed to be long waits for replies, and the free installation offer ends on the 28th, so I'd need to place an order before then.

If anyone could help, that would be great - thanks!

Picture:
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/8157/untitled2ul.th.jpg (http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled2ul.jpg)

Schnitzel
25-02-2006, 22:08
Ok, well forget my first post. I've ordered. :)

One question..
I selected "Broadband Elite - 10Mb, £35/month":
http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled12tm.jpg

However, in my basket was "Broadband Elite - 4Mb, £35/month":
http://img510.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled25gt.jpg

It's obviously the correct package, but why the difference in speed?
Will I get 10Mb from when it's installed, or is it going to be upgraded soon or something?

Cheers !:D

Chris W
25-02-2006, 22:19
It is likely that TW will want to install on the front of the house- the front of Room 1 would be my guess, although they shouldn't have a problem putting the omni at the side. I also suspect that they would run down the flowerbed next to the drive/ under the grass as then the cable used would be shorter.

TW are in the process of upgrading 4meg to 10meg although afaik not areas are 10meg enabled yet.

Schnitzel
25-02-2006, 23:03
Thanks for the info Chris.

I can appreciate that TW would want to use the quickest route/least cable, but what happens if the route they propose isn't suitable? Would they be willing to take the cable a longer way round?

I thought that it might be the case about the 4/10Mb, as I've read about the upgrades, but it's safe to say that if I didn't receive 10Mb from the start, I would in the "near future?"

Thanks .

danielf
25-02-2006, 23:38
Thanks for the info Chris.

I can appreciate that TW would want to use the quickest route/least cable, but what happens if the route they propose isn't suitable? Would they be willing to take the cable a longer way round?

I thought that it might be the case about the 4/10Mb, as I've read about the upgrades, but it's safe to say that if I didn't receive 10Mb from the start, I would in the "near future?"

Thanks .

I suppose it depends on the installer, but when they did my place, they installed the main box at the front wall of your room 1. I doubt they would have minded installing it at the side wall (your purple route). They then asked if I needed any extensions (for phone/bb), and were a bit surprised I didn't (not so when I told them Iwas going to plug the wireless router in).

My guess would be that they won't mind doing a little more digging. Especially if this means they don't have to bother with additional work indoors.

Schnitzel
25-02-2006, 23:43
Cool, thanks!

Only thing is, I'm in my parents house and they don't want to be able to see any of the stuff lol.

Chris W
25-02-2006, 23:59
well the external cables will be buried, although they will be able to see an omnibox on the outside of the house, and a small box where the cable comes into the house, then obviously the cable going to the modem.

Schnitzel
27-02-2006, 19:07
They have no problem with putting the wire under slabs though right?

paulpaddison
10-03-2006, 01:32
slabs are fine but the fitter wont garuntee on relaying them as good as they were originaly. most telewest fitters will bury the cable under a lawn to prevent it being dug into when in flowerbeds. but they will talk to the householder about the best route to put the cable. make shure to demand that it is hidden. it will make there job harder but they can call more workers in to help if needed to get the job done. any cable from the omni box on the wall into the house cannot be burried and needs to be cable clipped along the wall. :tu:

raigraphixs
20-03-2006, 14:23
Hi,

I am thinking of getting telewest broadband installed. And i am new to this. My street is ok for telewest, but i want also to know about how they get the box installed.

I have a concrete drive, no soil anywhere, so would they drill my driveway?, and if yes, would they leave it like that?

I would want the installation to run on the side wall to the back upstairs bedroom, like my sky+ cables.

thank you

Chris
20-03-2006, 14:28
Are there any expansion gaps in your concrete drive? They might try to get the wire down one of those. Alternatively they might go up the edge of the drive. Is there soil on the boundary to your neighbour's house?

paulpaddison
20-03-2006, 18:00
how about fences ? or brick walls anything like that either side or a hedge anywear telewest can nail there cable to ? also look on your pavment outside the house for a small metal acsess cover with catv written on it as telewest will bring there cable from there

raigraphixs
21-03-2006, 12:23
No, there are no fences, no edge of drive, no walls, no soil, most of the drives butt up to each other in the street, all concrete.

thanks

Chris
21-03-2006, 13:08
In which case, I would say you should brace yourself to be told on install day that the 'special installations team' is needed, and will require to be booked to do the job on another date ... did you tell them at the time you ordered that you have an entirely concrete drive with nowhere a cable could be buried?

raigraphixs
21-03-2006, 14:41
thanks chris,

I have asking these questions before i ring telewest, so no i have not yet ordered.

So now does that now me there will be big installation costs for the drilling team?.

If so, i think rathher go down the ADSL bt landline route.

thanks

Chris
21-03-2006, 15:10
thanks chris,

I have asking these questions before i ring telewest, so no i have not yet ordered.

So now does that now me there will be big installation costs for the drilling team?.

If so, i think rathher go down the ADSL bt landline route.

thanks

I would hope they would still do it for free. If they suggest otherwise, make sure you tell them you are happy to take BT instead - they might change their minds.