PDA

View Full Version : Can cable customers use dialup?

ScaredWebWarrior
25-02-2006, 12:40
I have cable at home, but will be away from home periodically for a while and would like to be able to use dialup during that time.

I'm not even sure if ntl have dialup available. lol.

I can use my mobile as a modem - only 9k6 it seems, yikes! - but better than nothing.

driver_problems
25-02-2006, 13:07
I have cable at home, but will be away from home periodically for a while and would like to be able to use dialup during that time.

I'm not even sure if ntl have dialup available. lol.

I can use my mobile as a modem - only 9k6 it seems, yikes! - but better than nothing.

I think as long as you are stil paying for the dial up service you can have two landline numbers registered for use with that dial up account. I don't think a mobile will work though

ozsat
25-02-2006, 16:29
You may need to set up a dial-up account.

You can get a pay-as-you-go disc and then only pay for the connected time.

Chris W
25-02-2006, 21:28
you can register for pay as you go dialup at https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ - note you must have an ntl phone number to register.

Martyn
27-02-2006, 05:01
dont pay for dial up, theres many sites that have dial up for free, i even seen a free dial up banner on a CS server... lol just type it in google.. pay for 56k? god no..

ScaredWebWarrior
27-02-2006, 10:22
you can register for pay as you go dialup at https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ - note you must have an ntl phone number to register.I presume that means I have to dailup using that phone number?

Which would rather defeat the point. lol.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

dont pay for dial up, theres many sites that have dial up for free, i even seen a free dial up banner on a CS server... lol just type it in google.. pay for 56k? god no..I have a dialup account already, but I keep getting "can't relay..." errors when I try to send email.

Graham M
27-02-2006, 10:28
I presume that means I have to dailup using that phone number?

Which would rather defeat the point. lol.

I have a dialup account already, but I keep getting "can't relay..." errors when I try to send email.

Thats because you need to reset the outgoing SMTP server as the one owned by the ISP. NTL Block it from external ISPs to prevent Spam. Why not just use your phone's GPRS (I assume it has it) ?

danielf
27-02-2006, 10:30
<snip>

I have a dialup account already, but I keep getting "can't relay..." errors when I try to send email.

It sounds like you're trying to send email through a different server than the one you're connected to. Have you tried webmail?

ScaredWebWarrior
27-02-2006, 10:44
Why not just use your phone's GPRS (I assume it has it) ?Yeah, but I'm not too sure how to set it up. (Bit of a newbie to this kind of stuff - I was a 3310 owner before. lol. My new phone is a SE K750i.)

Martyn
27-02-2006, 10:45
what software you using outlook express? you have to set up your connection dont you?

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

I have a dialup account already, but I keep getting "can't relay..." errors when I try to send email.what software you using outlook express? you have to set up your connection dont you?

ScaredWebWarrior
27-02-2006, 10:46
It sounds like you're trying to send email through a different server than the one you're connected to.I know - but Eudora is supposed to handle different email 'personalities' - i.e. it should use the POP/SMTP settings for each 'account'.

Just seems like it's not doing that.
Have you tried webmail?Yeah - that works, but I prefer using Eudora.

Martyn
27-02-2006, 10:46
Yeah, but I'm not too sure how to set it up. (Bit of a newbie to this kind of stuff - I was a 3310 owner before. lol. My new phone is a SE K750i.) god bless the 3310, i had it yrs, now got 6600.. very smiliar, don't think ill change for ages yet! lol

Graham M
27-02-2006, 10:52
What network is your phone on WebWarrior?

Martyn
27-02-2006, 11:28
make sure you click

"My Server Requires Authentication"

in the settings

ScaredWebWarrior
27-02-2006, 12:23
What network is your phone on WebWarrior?O2

Graham M
27-02-2006, 12:25
OK ill try and find out the method for O2. But re-read my post a bit further up, you will need to use the SMTP server for the ISP you are on at the time to send email.

ScaredWebWarrior
27-02-2006, 12:32
OK ill try and find out the method for O2. Cheers!

But re-read my post a bit further up, you will need to use the SMTP server for the ISP you are on at the time to send email.I know about that - thought Eudora was doing that when I selected another profile to send from.