PDA

View Full Version : New Install

palace
25-02-2006, 08:16
I am thinking of going the TVDrive route but I have Sky in my house at the moment.The thing is the living room where I want a second box is at the back of the house but I dont want them running cable through the house and there is now way to get the cable around to the back of the house apart from over the roof.
I have a Sky feed that goes through to the living room via the loft with satellite cable.Is this the same cable the cable companies use for connecting the receiver boxes.And if it is so and it is just a little short as one end connects to the dish, would i be able to add another connection onto this cable to extend its length enabling me to put the telewest via the loft into the downstairs living room.

If not would they be able to chuck the cable over the roof.

Chris W
27-02-2006, 19:47
:welcome:

I think the type of cable is different, the signal is certainly different so i don't think the same cable can be used.

Telewest *may* be able to put the cable over the roof, but again. i'm not sure.

Best thing to do would be to contact TW and explain the situation- then request that they do a survey before going ahead with the installation

PS1
27-02-2006, 21:33
This (cable over roof)method really depends on who you get to do the job and how "health and safety"concious they are?
In my experience(with ntls methods) there is no safe way to actually get the cable over the roof.Its a lot harder than you think to be standing on the top of a ladder and to try and throw the cable up and over a roof.
I for one wouldnt attempt it,but im sure if you yourself actually wanted to have a go at it then the engineers would hand you the cable and stand back for you to carry on.
The cable NTL use is of different quality to that of sky(rg6 or 59 catv),and therefor ideally should always be used.
Maybe if you were to sign to say you were happy to extend the existing coax you have then they might do it for you,but if you were ever to experience interactive problems or picture quality problems in the future and it was due to the exsisting cable then you would have to pay to have the correct stuff installed by NTL.
Might as well use the correct stuff first as last.