PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Takeaway

TheBlueRaja
24-02-2006, 17:47
Im about to get delivered Scotlands finest Madras from Mr India's West End Balti and Dosa House in Glasgow. :drool: It really is the finest Curry you will ever have and i've been to a few curry hooses in my time.

But it got me thinking - whats the best Take Away or Resteraunt in your area so that next time were around there we know where to go.

Chris W
24-02-2006, 18:06
I've only just moved to Reading, so any advice on good local takeaways would be very welcome!! :)

Tuftus
24-02-2006, 18:20
Rushden, Northamptonshire.

Indian Restaurant - Chillies
Indian Take Away - Chutneys

Chinese Restaurant - Peking
Chinese Take Away - The Wok Inn

:drool:

TheBlueRaja
24-02-2006, 18:20
I've only just moved to Reading, so any advice on good local takeaways would be very welcome!! :)

Did you? So no more Balmaha for you then? I bet the view isnt anywhere near as good.

sharpygreen
24-02-2006, 18:26
Northampton chinese lei garden
indian the green chilli take away

and good ol scoffer cafe on the a45 best egg and bacon in town

etccarmageddon
24-02-2006, 18:36
I hope no-one says pizza hut or domino's pizza!

bopdude
24-02-2006, 18:38
Well if I / we can get there whilst on our way home from around the country, then by hook or by crook we get THE BEST kebab in the land from a place called Shai Nan, it's in Chapeltown, Leeds, very :erm: shadey / dodgey area but well worth it, get it in a Naan bread with just a bit of onion and tomatoe, with chilli sauce :drool:

EDIT: and they're open until about 5 in the morning :drool: :drool:

MadGamer
24-02-2006, 18:50
Fish n Chips, call me old fashioned and a sad git, but im looking forward to it tonight. :)

bopdude
24-02-2006, 18:52
Fish n Chips, call me old fashioned and a sad git, but im looking forward to it tonight. :)

:erm: I think it's supposed to be a what and where type question :shrug: :D

homealone
24-02-2006, 18:55
Steels Corner House Restaurant in Cleethorpes market place - old fashioned 'traditional' food, mostly made on the premises (like the lovely steak pie) - recommended is the 'jumbo' Haddock & chips & mushy peas - but you will need a big appetite ;)

marky
24-02-2006, 19:01
Market st in Farnworth nr Bolton, take your pick every other shop is a take away :Yikes:

AndrewJ
24-02-2006, 19:06
Sammy Chungs a chinese in Milnrow near me, his £10.95 meal 2 deal is superb.

TheBlueRaja
24-02-2006, 19:35
Oh Just a thought - the best Chippy in Scotland IMO is the one in Callander - if you heading upto the highlands you may pass through. Cant rememebr its name as its one you always goto but dont use often as its not exactly on my doorstep but if you ever go there its on the corner next to the car part by the river.

Dont worry - its a small place.

marky
24-02-2006, 19:38
I prefer a big plaice but never mind :disturbd:

ikthius
24-02-2006, 19:59
Oh Just a thought - the best Chippy in Scotland IMO is the one in Callander - if you heading upto the highlands you may pass through. Cant rememebr its name as its one you always goto but dont use often as its not exactly on my doorstep but if you ever go there its on the corner next to the car part by the river.

no best chippy is smithy's in aviemore

ik

homealone
24-02-2006, 20:26

Grantown on Spey, for me - 'Smiffy's - delicious :)

Kliro
24-02-2006, 21:10
Best Kebabs ever : Turkish Delight - Chorlton in Manchester

Anywhere along the curry mile in Rusholmes a pretty safe bet for a nice indian

Halcyon
24-02-2006, 21:36
Ended up making my own chinese meal tonight.

I've had a nice meal with great friendly service at The Peking in Leicester city centre a few times.
As for Indian food, I think one place was called "Delicious" and they do a lovely prawn bhuna curry and give you loads of free extras too to go with the meal.

Also been to the chinese place "Taste" in Meridien park and that was good. A little busy, but good food.

I havent had a kebab in years. Each of the places near me look awful inside and I'd hate to eat in there.

Mal
24-02-2006, 21:39
Anywhere along the curry mile in Rusholmes a pretty safe bet for a nice indianI can't remember the name of the place, but it is opposite the Rusholme DWP office. Very nice.

I hope no-one says pizza hut or domino's pizza!
I have to disagree there. The Dominos pizza near us does the best pizza.

Fish & Chip wise, the best one closed down last year, a place called Conroy's.

Kebab, a cheesy sounding place called California Pizza.

bob_a_builder
24-02-2006, 21:47
I've only just moved to Reading

Try the Standard Tandoori in caversham road - near carnival stores

Nidge
25-02-2006, 06:27
I hate Indian meals with a passion, why are they so spicey and hot?

Paul
25-02-2006, 07:54
McDonalds Chicken Nuggets, and a McFlurry. :D

zing_deleted
25-02-2006, 09:25
Im on a strict diet so this thread has not helped :mad:

Fryways Chip shop in nuneaton.The chips are coated and fry crisp and yellow(yes yellow) but there real good chips.Also there batter is always crisp and never soggy(I hate that) But alas there not for me :(

Lew
27-02-2006, 11:42
Fleet, Hants.

Best Indian takeaway: Chutney's (although as I used to work for them I'm slightly biased).

Best Chinese takeaway: New Era (actually just outside Fleet in Ancell's Farm. They do some lovely Szechuan dishes and a fantastic Satay Chicken).

Chris
27-02-2006, 11:49
Did you? So no more Balmaha for you then? I bet the view isnt anywhere near as good.

Wrong Chris. I'm still here (and wild horses wouldn't drag me away). :wavey:

And I can attest to the quality of the chicken bhoona at the Drymen Tandoori, which thankfully does takeaway (the next nearest being Alexandria).

The only problem is we are 15 minutes drive even from Drymen, so the routine is to phone ahead, then throw the Camping Gaz camping fridge/warmer in the car (remember to set it to 'warm'), hurtle down the lane, collect curry, place in box, hurtle home, and enjoy. :D

Mmmmm, chicken bhoona .... :drool:

LSainsbury
27-02-2006, 14:06
The Dominos pizza near us does the best pizza.

Last time I had a Dominos Pizza it gave me a dose of Montezuma's Revenge....I'm trying to keep off them now...

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Fleet, Hants.

Best Indian takeaway: Chutney's (although as I used to work for them I'm slightly biased).

Best Chinese takeaway: New Era (actually just outside Fleet in Ancell's Farm. They do some lovely Szechuan dishes and a fantastic Satay Chicken).

:notopic: Lew - do you live in Ancells Farm?

I used to work for a company in Ancells Road....

Russ
27-02-2006, 14:19
Chicken Tikka - not the masala but the dry version.

The Shah, Station Road, Port talbot.

Mal
27-02-2006, 14:21
The Dominos pizza near us does the best pizza.

Last time I had a Dominos Pizza it gave me a dose of Montezuma's Revenge....I'm trying to keep off them now...
Never had any problems with my local one. Just shows that you can't write a whole chain off... ;)

Chris
27-02-2006, 14:45
Never had any problems with my local one. Just shows that you can't write a whole chain off... ;)

Not even a whole chain of streptococcus? :D :sick:

AndrewJ
27-02-2006, 15:55
Chicken Tikka - not the masala but the dry version.

The Shah, Station Road, Port talbot.

So agreed how could I forget that place :Yikes:

punky
27-02-2006, 16:35
Basically, for curries...

In Chingford, There's a curry house called E4. Its next to Chingford Post Office, almost opposite Chingford train station. Very food, but it is a bit pricey. About £10-ish after discount for a curry, rice & naan. Great restaurant (furnishing wise) if you decide to stay in, and very friendly staff.

If you are in Hyde, Cheshire, then check out Saffron. Its in Manchester road, near the junction of Market St, opposite the B&Q. Great price (less than 7 quid for a curry & naan), the food is really nice, but the portions are massive. I struggle to eat a normal curry & naan from there. One portion can do 2 people fairly easily. Its eat out only.

Lew
27-02-2006, 16:51
:notopic: Lew - do you live in Ancells Farm?

I used to work for a company in Ancells Road....

No, I live in the Pondtail end of Fleet.

Gareth
27-02-2006, 17:45
In the Old Town part of Swindon, there's a good curry house called The Biplob... not sure if they do takeaways, but the in-house service is good.

Still in Swindon, for good fish 'n' chips you can't go wrong with The Trawlerman, just next to the Link Centre and Asda in West Swindon. Eat-in or take away, they're consistently good.

But the best fish 'n' chips I remember ever having was as a kid, we used to go to one in Birmingham, it was opposite the Kalamazoo offices in Northfield. Can't remember the name of it now, but when I was a nipper it was always a real treat to get fish 'n' chips there and pop round to my Nan's house :drool:

Anyone here from Brum know if there's still a chippy there?

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Never mind, I just Googled it, and apparently it is still there... :hyper: It's called South Side for any one nearby.

1191 BRISTOL ROAD SOUTH
NORTHFIELD
BIRMINGHAM WEST MIDLANDS B31 2SL

0121 475 2557I'm almost tempted to drive there to sample them... if only I wasn't supposed to be finishing this damn project I'm working on :(

Mal
22-06-2007, 22:03
I am resurrecting this thread as a brilliant new Italian takeaway, called Nico's, has opened up near us.

Gorgeous!

Plus...a decent chippy has arrived, called Danny's.

:D

danielf
22-06-2007, 23:34

You're old fashioned and a sad git. Happy now? :shrug: ;)

Russ
22-06-2007, 23:42
After being Powerbombed through a table tonight, I can honestly say a Chikken Tikka with chips from the Shah in Station Road, Port Talbot has made me almost entirely forget the pain with it's all-round deliciousness :)

pedantic
23-06-2007, 00:06
I am resurrecting this thread as a brilliant new Italian takeaway, called Nico's, has opened up near us.

Gorgeous!

Plus...a decent chippy has arrived, called Danny's.

:D

Hmmmm ! Sounds good.............where exactly did you say they were again ? :scratch:

Uncle Peter
23-06-2007, 00:23
Although I don't normally indulge takeaway food I must say that Zane's on Smithdown Road in Liverpuddle do a mighty fine (and rather potent) chicken kebab.

Mal
23-06-2007, 10:11
Hmmmm ! Sounds good.............where exactly did you say they were again ? :scratch:So you haven't spotted them yet? :)

Halcyon
23-06-2007, 10:12
The Curry House, London road, Leicester.

Come out the railway station, turn left, and its just a few metres up from the railway station.

Lovely atmosphere, good prices, great food.
The best curry house I've been to.

pedantic
23-06-2007, 11:11
So you haven't spotted them yet? :)

Not yet, I need to open my eyes, me thinks. :dunce: :D

ikthius
23-06-2007, 12:58
well the local chinese is ok - king buffett
but the one in bearsden is really good - silver lantern

ik

Tech_Boy
23-06-2007, 14:01
After being Powerbombed through a table tonight, I can honestly say a Chikken Tikka with chips from the Shah in Station Road, Port Talbot has made me almost entirely forget the pain with it's all-round deliciousness :)

The Shah is a great place to eat (when blind drunk), but for a really good Indian takeaway try Diplus in Taibach.

Chinese has to be the Water Margin on the seafront.

and fish an chips, go for the chinese on sandown rd every time.

The best fish & chips used to be the Ritz in Skewen (just round the corner from me), but it is now under new management & not as good.

Mal
23-06-2007, 21:44
Not yet, I need to open my eyes, me thinks. :dunce: :D
Well, for when you do, Nico's is opposite St Peter's Church on Chorley Road and Danny's is further up, near Kwik Fit. ;)

pedantic
24-06-2007, 14:44
Well, for when you do, Nico's is opposite St Peter's Church on Chorley Road and Danny's is further up, near Kwik Fit. ;)

Ahhh ! I know it well. ;) I go past there often enough not to miss it though, they must be very new. :erm:

Mal
24-06-2007, 15:43
Ahhh ! I know it well. ;) I go past there often enough not to miss it though, they must be very new. :erm:They've been there a couple of months now. Next to Lynch...

Very nice food... :drool:

Graham M
24-06-2007, 17:35
For a Takeaway near here, my favourite is Foysal's Indian Home Dining on Bournemouth Road, great staff, great food, has more Bangladeshi flavours

For Eating in it's either gotta be Tandoori Nights on Poole High Street or the Westbourne Tandoori

as you can see, I like Indian :p: