PDA

View Full Version : Help Setting up My PS2 for Broadband Please?

MFKR78
24-02-2006, 11:49
Hi people, I've just found a link to this forum today and signed up.

Basically I'm thinking of putting my PS2 online but I've never had any experience going online with consoles before and I can't find a hell of a lot of information on doing so. I know searches bring some info (like this forum came up from searching) but I don't want to plump for the first thing I see and get ripped off.

At the moment funds are (extremely!) tight and so I'm looking basically for the cheapest way to get the console online (well aren't we all I guess!)

I have 2mb Broadband through NTL already but it's going through USB to the computer in my bedroom from the downstairs set top box. My PS2 is quite near the PC in here also. I just want to find out the cheapest and definitely the easiest to understand and set-up process to get the PS2 online.

I say easiest aswell because to be honest with you, we've had problems with NTL many times, reliability and set-up issues on both the broadband and the cable TV so I'm not keen to start fiddling with anything too much for fear of knackering my current net connection and going back to endless phone calls and waiting time to fix it!

Can anyone give me some figures, options and advice please? Does the PS2 being online mean I have to change my USB or something? If it is too much of a cost or hassle I'll just have to leave it.

Any help will be much appreciated :)

handyman
24-02-2006, 11:59
Best solution would be to run a ethernet cable instead of the usb one. Then add a cheap router such as this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52897) one. It has 4 ethernet ports that will allow up to 4 different devices to be connected. Whilst not the cheapest it is the best option. You would not need you pc to be on to use the ps2 and vice versa.

It will also leave you the option of plugging in other computers easily.

Ceapest solution would be to add ethernet cards to you pc giving you 2 ports, then running a ethernet cable between the pc and the stb and the pc and the ps2. You then run internet connection sharing on the pc. Your pc would need to be on for you to use the ps2 and this could be sorted for a tennet including cables. The other option is £25 ish but would be the correct way to do it.

Ohh, welcome to cable forum by the way :wavey:

southwell
24-02-2006, 12:02
Also, if you have a slim PS2 you will need to send off for the network disk (documentation online or should have been supplied with the ps2)
If it's the standard ps2 you will need the network adaptor, which can be bought from most game stores.

Saaf_laandon_mo
24-02-2006, 12:05
Do you have a slimline or the older chunky PS2.

If you have a slimline all you need to do is plug in an ethernet cable from your cable modem box into the back of your PS2. You will also need the Online network adaptor disc (which I think you order free from Sony) and a memory card to save the settings. If you have a router then the cable goes from the back of the PS" into the router, enabling you to use the internet on the PC while ur online on the PS2.

If you have the old chunky PS2 you need an online adaptor. You can pick these up for about 17.99 on ebay/amazon/play subject to stock. This comes with the disc aswell. If you are a telewest customer (which you're not , but maybe they might have something similar) you can order this from them for 40 odd quid but they give you a couple of old games too.

No other costs involved, registration and setting up is pretty easy, and apart from a bit of lag now and then, Pro Evo 5 online is brilliant!

MFKR78
24-02-2006, 13:34
Thanks for the responses there :)

I have the older chunky PS2. I think the option Saaf_laandon_mo mentioned is the option I've seen online somewhere. Where NTL provide the adaptor and some software for £40 odd and then charge a couple of quid extra on the broadband bill per month.

Basically there's no incredibly cheapskate way of doing this I think is there lol. It sounds like the above is possibly the easiest way of doing it. Well possibly?

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Oh and Pro Evo 5 would definitely be a game I'd play online! It's the best game I've got!!

Another thing I'd like to use online for is to get the updated stats for LMA Manager 2006. I was pretty annoyed that they made it so there's no way to get the updates without having your console online. I'm now considering doing it though if I can afford to, do it with no hassle and if also I will enjoy online gaming enough to warrant it.

mick70
24-02-2006, 20:57
If you are on a budget then pick up a second hand 802.11b linksys router from ebay.

Saaf_laandon_mo
27-02-2006, 12:53
Thanks for the responses there :)

I have the older chunky PS2. I think the option Saaf_laandon_mo mentioned is the option I've seen online somewhere. Where NTL provide the adaptor and some software for £40 odd and then charge a couple of quid extra on the broadband bill per month.

Basically there's no incredibly cheapskate way of doing this I think is there lol. It sounds like the above is possibly the easiest way of doing it. Well possibly?

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Oh and Pro Evo 5 would definitely be a game I'd play online! It's the best game I've got!!

Another thing I'd like to use online for is to get the updated stats for LMA Manager 2006. I was pretty annoyed that they made it so there's no way to get the updates without having your console online. I'm now considering doing it though if I can afford to, do it with no hassle and if also I will enjoy online gaming enough to warrant it.

telewest were saying they would charge a couple of quid a month if I took the routher that they supply (not wireless - i cant remember what its called) and also if my boradband was less than the 1mb connection.

The best bet is to order the adaptor of ebay, get a router if you wanna use the internet for pc and ps2 at same time. if not just stick teh ethernet cable prvided with the adaptor directly into the back of your cable modem and you'll be fine.

paul11974
27-02-2006, 20:31
ok here is your shopping list

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005KAC7/qid=1141072022/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-6778754-3176449

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00003E37F/qid=1141072161/sr=8-6/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i6_xgl/026-6778754-3176449

total will be £53.39 very very easy to set up