PDA

View Full Version : KwikFit - Overcharging, Lying Robbers - Avoid - I saved £400!

TheBlueRaja
24-02-2006, 10:18
Hi All,
Just to let you know i went to Kwik fit to get my brakes done the other week as they currently have a 50% off deal on breaks.

Anyway - went in and they looked over the car and i got a call about an hour later and they guy was saying that i needed the following done:-

Front / Rear - Brake Disks and Pads
Back Right Calliper
Copper pipes from Brakes to Master Cylinder needed replaced due to corrosion.

Cost - £700 - Estimate

At this point i told him where to go - the cars only worth about 2 grand and said i will get my own parts to save money, Kwik fit then tell me that they cannot fit the parts as they are not their "own" and therefore they could not guarantee them.

At this point im thinking screw this and go and pick up my car, they were not exactly pleasent either.

Anyway off i went to get my own parts as i knew what i needed and where to get them - total cost £230. Wandered down to my local garage to get a quote on fitting - 70 quid. Therefore a total cost of £300 - 400 quid cheaper than Kwik fit.

On top of this when im getting the parts fitted the Pads were OK and all the disks were ok bar the front left and the back right where the calliper was sticking. The copper tubing from the front brakes to the Master Cylinder were also OK and didnt need replacing - the guy said there was a bit of rust on them which he just brushed off - they were fine.

So, take this as a warning - they will try to rob you blind.

Graham M
24-02-2006, 10:36
Cheers mate, im probably getting a car tonight, yay! So won't be taking it to them.

punky
24-02-2006, 10:41
Have you reported them to Trading Standards? If you do, keep us informed mate :)

ScaredWebWarrior
24-02-2006, 10:41
Anyway - went in and they looked over the car and i got a call about an hour later and they guy was saying that i needed the following done:-

Front / Rear - Brake Disks and Pads
Back Right Calliper
Copper pipes from Brakes to Master Cylinder needed replaced due to corrosion.

Cost - £700 - EstimateThis is a surprisingly common trick. I personally think it's the kind of thing that the fraud squad should go after, since invariably none of the work is 'required'.

Of course the problem here is one of objective vs. subjective opinion. It's quite impossible to prove that some work doesn't need doing. So the charlatans can always claim that it's just their opinion.
At this point i told him where to go - the cars only worth about 2 grand and said i will get my own parts to save money, Kwik fit then tell me that they cannot fit the parts as they are not their "own" and therefore they could not guarantee them.Which would be fair enough - if what they 'guaranteed' was actually as good a quality, for the extra cost. Sometimes it isn't.
At this point im thinking screw this and go and pick up my car, they were not exactly pleasent either.They hate getting found out, because then they even lose the business they could have had.

Anyway off i went to get my own parts as i knew what i needed and where to get them - total cost £230. Wandered down to my local garage to get a quote on fitting - 70 quid. Therefore a total cost of £300 - 400 quid cheaper than Kwik fit.Mistake #2. You spent £230 on parts you didn't need.

On top of this when im getting the parts fitted the Pads were OK and all the disks were ok bar the front left and the back right where the calliper was sticking.In which case, it was irrelevant whether the pads were ok, because if you fit new discs you should fit new pads, otherwise the old pads will prematurely wear the new discs.

The copper tubing from the front brakes to the Master Cylinder were also OK and didnt need replacing - the guy said there was a bit of rust on them which he just brushed off - they were fine.This is a common problem - it often comes up at MOT time too.

OK - super tip here, but only if you're quite sure that your brake pipes are actually NOT about to fail on you - before the MOT, clean off any loose surface dirt on the pipes. treat any rust spots with a rust-converter product. Then, cover all the pipes with grease. Apart from the fact that the grease will further protect the pipes from corrosion, the MOT tester is not allowed to remove the grease to inspect the pipes, so he can't possibly determine if they're corroded, so he can't possibly fail them.

So, take this as a warning - they will try to rob you blind.As will just about any car repair outfit - not just Kwik-Fit.

I once went in to get the rear exhaust box replaced - I would normally buy one and do it myself, but I was feeling lazy. Anyway, the grease monkey spent a few minutes banging away at it before warning me that it was more than likely that he'd have to replace the rest of the system, as it would probably disintegrate during removal of the rear box.

I pointed out to him that I'd done that job several times before and NEVER had to replace anything EXCEPT the part I was replacing, and I suggested that he'd better be able to do so too, or I'd hold HIM liable for any damage.

Needless to say, he suddenly became much more adept at his job.

Aragorn
24-02-2006, 10:47
I took my company car to them recently because of steering vibration, and said can you balance the front wheels.
They came back after a couple of mins and said the front tyres were 'illegal' and I would need a new pair - no probs, company car, so fleaseplan will pay.
Made no difference to the vibration!
Washed the car a couple of days later and couldn't see any balancing weights, so took it to another C**pfit. They then took 15 minutes balancing the completely unbalanced new tyres fitted by the other fitters!! Much better after that!

Saaf_laandon_mo
24-02-2006, 10:57
A few years back I had over filled the oil in my car. As a result I was one day driving down a London main road on a saturday morning with lots of black smoke blowing out of the back. I immediately pulled over at a Kwik fit that I was approaching at which a worker came out shaking his head. He told me the car engine had blown and that this would set me back approx 900 quid to get it fixed. And this was done before he even opened the bonnet.

I was crapping myself (car was only worth 1500 but it was my pride and joy). I phoned up a mechanic friend and he told me to get Kwik fit to drain the oil and just replace it (i.e an oil change). I asked Kwik fit if they could do this and they said No. They told me it was unrresponsible of them and contrary to their safety procedures to do that because in their opinion the engine had blown. They also told me they dont do oil changes.
I told them that if that was the case I would call the AA and get them to tow the car to my local garage. There was no way I was going to leave it with Kwik Fit. At this point they agreed to do the oil change whichh I watched to make sure it was done properly. They had the cheek to charge 45 quid for it. Needless to say after that I drove the car 30 kmiles up the M1 without a propblem and got another 12 months trouble free mortoring from it.

I'd never go to KWIK fit for anything now.

ScaredWebWarrior
24-02-2006, 10:57
I took my company car to them recently because of steering vibration, and said can you balance the front wheels.
They came back after a couple of mins and said the front tyres were 'illegal' and I would need a new pair - no probs, company car, so fleaseplan will pay.
Made no difference to the vibration!Between owners who don't know better and company cars it's no wonder they keep getting away with it...

Did you check the tyres? Were they 'illegal'? I'll bet you still had good tread depth over at least 75% of the tyre tread - if so, they were still legal.
Washed the car a couple of days later and couldn't see any balancing weights, so took it to another C**pfit. They then took 15 minutes balancing the completely unbalanced new tyres fitted by the other fitters!! Much better after that!That kind of incompetence should see them sued - that instability could have caused an accident. If these cowboys were brought to book a bit more often then perhaps the motor trade would clean up its act.

They try to lead us to believe they have the 'expert' knowledge to look after cars and keep them safe, when in reality they let illiterate drop-outs loose on them who think that using oxy-acetylene is a requirement for exhaust removal. Wonder how I managed all those years without.

I once took a car in for a tune-up. (I was trying to learn about carbs etc. and managed to mess it up. lol) Anyway, after they were done I was handed a small item that was 'left over'. I was surprised, but thought I'd figure out later what it was.
As I was driving home the engine became steadily more undrivable - so I just turned around and went back. Pointed out to the manager that it was driving like a dog, when it was supposed to have been tuned up and handed him the left-over part, which by then I'd realised was one of the jets from the carb!

Anyway, he re-did the tuning, including checking and replacing some ignition cables, for free. This time I stayed and watched the entire procedure to ensure I knew what had been done. The car was fine after that.

TheBlueRaja
24-02-2006, 11:00
Mistake #2. You spent £230 on parts you didn't need.

What was Mistake Number one? (I'd guess at going to KwikFit in the first place?)

Anyway - i did need two Brake Disks and a Calliper so its not so bad and i wont have to touch the rest for ages so its not biggie.

Imagine if i had paid 700 quid though... :shocked:

punky
24-02-2006, 11:08
Imagine if i had paid 700 quid though... :shocked:

That's why its so important to get second, third, forth,etc opinions. The fact TS do so many spot checks I think lure people into a false sense of security.

handyman
24-02-2006, 11:10
I can reccomend National Tyres and exhausts in Kendal. They are so different from the 'kwik fit' types.
1. Changed front tyres for main car all went ok.
2. Brakes where making a racket on punto (sounded serious). Disc had sheared from the hub :eek:. so they sorted the pads and discs and repaired something that got bent.
3. Took in Picanto as rear tyre was going flat all the time, they re balanced the tyre and replaced the valve. Charge = 0
4. Brakes where making a noise on the Picanto and the susp squeeking. they oiled the sqeak and clean the disc. Charge = 0

ScaredWebWarrior
24-02-2006, 11:12
What was Mistake Number one? (I'd guess at going to KwikFit in the first place?) Yup :)

Anyway - i did need two Brake Disks and a Calliper so its not so bad and i wont have to touch the rest for ages so its not biggie.As I said before - if you've got new discs you should have had new pads.

If not, then whoever fitted your discs still didn't do a professional job.

grandmaster
24-02-2006, 11:38
I can reccomend National Tyres and exhausts in Kendal. They are so different from the 'kwik fit' types.

I can also Recommend National Tyres and Exhaust in Rochdale.
They even do price matching.

Took my mums car in two have two tyres changed and the spare from my freelander.

He matched the quote i got from ATS (they also did not have the tyres in stock)without any quibble and did the job there and then.
Nice lad as well very polite.

handyman
24-02-2006, 11:45
Nice lad as well very polite.

Yeah they are at Kendal too. After the 2nd time they refused to charge me I left them a tenner for beer/morning butties.

grandmaster
24-02-2006, 11:49
That was a nice gesture.

basa
24-02-2006, 11:51
........<snip>.......I once went in to get the rear exhaust box replaced - I would normally buy one and do it myself, but I was feeling lazy. Anyway, the grease monkey spent a few minutes banging away at it before warning me that it was more than likely that he'd have to replace the rest of the system, as it would probably disintegrate during removal of the rear box.

I pointed out to him that I'd done that job several times before and NEVER had to replace anything EXCEPT the part I was replacing, and I suggested that he'd better be able to do so too, or I'd hold HIM liable for any damage.

Needless to say, he suddenly became much more adept at his job.

Similar tale to me>

Went for a new back box and was at first told they couldn't just replace the back box as removing it would damage the centre box as well. Then the supervisor came over and banged on the catalyser and pronounced that 'dead' too because it rattled :confused: . Total cost £250+ :Yikes:

I told them to get it off the hoist and took it to the nearest MoT station for an exhaust test which proved the 'cat' was OK.

I bought the back box and fitted it myself for a total cost of £18. :rolleyes:

Most garages are rip offs if you don't know a bit about cars. :mad:

Bill C
24-02-2006, 11:56
For those close to Warrington, I can recommend ATS in Latchford village by hard labour. I have never had any trouble with them.

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-02-2006, 12:32
Kwik Fit have and aways will be rip off merchants.

However in their defence and to criticise the guy that did the work for you. If only one of you brake disks need replacing you need to replace both disks on that axle. If you dont do this you will get uneven brake and either end up in the middle of the road or in the ditch!

secondly, brake pipes DO NOT RUST, they are made of a copper composite material however they do corode and with the high presure thats applied to them they either tend to split or perferate with pin holes.

In my opinion you should only ever get brake work carried out by a garage that also does MOT's

ScaredWebWarrior
24-02-2006, 13:07
In my opinion you should only ever get brake work carried out by a garage that also does MOT'sAnd I think that MOT garages should not be allowed to do repair work. It just leads to a potential conflict of interest.

I get my MOT's done by a garage which only does MOT's. They NEVER fail my cars on anything that isn't actually wrong, but they will give an advisory for any work that should be done following the MOT - i.e. not fail points, but things that might fail next time.

Since I do most repair work myself anyway, this is perfect.

Escapee
24-02-2006, 17:20
secondly, brake pipes DO NOT RUST, they are made of a copper composite material however they do corode and with the high presure thats applied to them they either tend to split or perferate with pin holes.

In my opinion you should only ever get brake work carried out by a garage that also does MOT's

Not all are copper, there are still lots of cars around with steel brake pipes.

I bought a few rolls of bake pipe a few years ago, one was from a good motor factors and the others from a Classic Car Autojumble. I was rebuilding a vehicle at the time and made new brake pipes with the expensive motor factor pipe, at the MOT the following year I disputed with the MOT tester that the pipes were badly corroded, and was then surprised when I got under to have a look myself. He had carried out the MOT the previous year and knew that just about everything had been replaced of refurbished on the vehicle. I always replace brake pipes, hoses, slave and master cylinders as a matter of course.

These pipes appeared to have a very thin coating of copper on them, and it took just 12 months for them to look very corroded. The tester did however say that some material used for brake pipes will tarnish and corrode very quickly, giving the appearance they are bad but in fact stay like that for years. He passed the vehicle but I replaced the front to back, across axle and cylinder bridge pipes straight away.

budwieser
24-02-2006, 19:39
Can i just say that not all Franchises and main dealers are to be tarred with the same brush!:rolleyes:
I work for a Honda Dealership in Cambridge and i take great pride in my work, even doing chargable jobs for nothing at all, even in my lunch hour.
I`ve had an Elderly man come to me 3 or 4 times now since we repaired his car, a Rover, to just ask me a question or just to replace a splash shield clip that he didn`t think was right and i`ve always done it without a quibble or any charge.
These customers pay our wages and we must look after them in my mind.
I work for the bodyshop by the way.

Nidge
24-02-2006, 19:55
There was a programme on the TV a few months ago about Kwik Fit I think it was Rogue Traders where they took a car into Kwik Fit for repairs, they'd had a mechanic check the car over before it went in and everything was ok, when Kwik Fit got the car on the ramps they said it needed this that and the other, the fitters who work for Kwik Fit get a bonus for everything they sell and fit, they collared the fitter and the manager who said we will stop all this practice, seems like it's still going on.

marky
24-02-2006, 20:01
My mate had new shockers fitted there, about a month later he went to another for tyres,
they said he needed new shockers, so he let them do it and then pulled his reciept from the other place out :rofl:

budwieser
24-02-2006, 20:14
Quite a few places like Kwikfit and others are notorious for a having a practice or Policy of getting the car up in the air ,on a ramp, and not letting it down until the customer has agreed to new shocks, springs and the old favourite, Brake pads and Discs. Give the rest of us a bad name. *******s.:mad:
99% of the time they`re not needed.

marky
24-02-2006, 20:18
Quite a few places like Kwikfit and others are notorious for a having a practice or Policy of getting the car up in the air ,on a ramp, and not letting it down until the customer has agreed to new shocks, springs and the old favourite, Brake pads and Discs. Give the rest of us a bad name. *******s.:mad:
99% of the time they`re not needed.

You work for a proper place, kwik fit is full of unqualified idiots :D

simon9975
24-02-2006, 21:13
I have 12yrs of the trade under my belt all dealerships,i too made the mistake one sunday morning of taking my then sierra for a wheel alignment check as i had replaced the very comon fault of track control arm bushes.

I went in and said to the manager i wanted the wheel alignment checking,no problem put it on the ramp,came back 5mins later and called me to the car,look sir we carnt check this alignment as the track control arm bushes are worn,WHAT you muppet i just replaced them,oh yes he said my mistake,so i said take the car off your'e not doing it,sod that i would never recommend to them anyone even if it was a sunday they are crap,don't know what there on about and all the time want the quick easy earners,like the older genaration who they say ooohhh brakes are worn,tyres nearly bald and they know there gonna get the work.

God it annoys me as there are some decent mechanics and that it what most who work for ****fit arnt:mad:

timewarrior2001
24-02-2006, 21:32
I use Kwik fit when I cant be arsed to go anywhere else, mainly cos theres a garage about 500 metres away from my house.

Kwik fit do my tyres and have once done my exhaust.

For any other work including MOT I go to My Local Network Q garage because they are cheaper than Kwik Fit at just about everything except tyres funnily enough.

I've had a car from a main dealship that suffered sudden brake failure 1 week after its 10,000 mile service, and after 20,000 miles the rear wheel bearing disintegrated causing the wheel to lockup temporarily as I was driving over the Tees Flyover at 70Mph, I took it to the ford dealershipthey wanted to charge me for the repair, until I pulled out my pocket the service sheet from 2 days previous stating that the wheel bearings had been checked.

grandmaster
24-02-2006, 21:56
Can i just say that not all Franchises and main dealers are to be tarred with the same brush!:rolleyes:
I work for a Honda Dealership .

I used to work for Honda in Rochdale in the parts dept.

We always helped if we could.

budwieser
24-02-2006, 22:41
I have 12yrs of the trade under my belt all dealerships,i too made the mistake one sunday morning of taking my then sierra for a wheel alignment check as i had replaced the very comon fault of track control arm bushes.

I went in and said to the manager i wanted the wheel alignment checking,no problem put it on the ramp,came back 5mins later and called me to the car,look sir we carnt check this alignment as the track control arm bushes are worn,WHAT you muppet i just replaced them,oh yes he said my mistake,so i said take the car off your'e not doing it,sod that i would never recommend to them anyone even if it was a sunday they are crap,don't know what there on about and all the time want the quick easy earners,like the older genaration who they say ooohhh brakes are worn,tyres nearly bald and they know there gonna get the work.

God it annoys me as there are some decent mechanics and that it what most who work for ****fit arnt:mad:

Track control arm Bushes????????? WTF are they?
Do you mean bottom ball joints?

marky
24-02-2006, 22:50
Its the rubber bushes on the end of the anti roll bar ;)

Chimaera
24-02-2006, 23:22
Well if you lot think you have problems - it's worse for us girlies! A Vauxhall main dealer once tried to fob me off with new brake pads when the discs were warped. I don't know that much about cars - but I insisted on new discs (it was a new-ish car and still under warranty) and I was proved right in the end. Kwik-Fit also tried to con me by saying my car's brakes were in a dangerous condition and that I would end up killing my baby in an accident if I drove it out of the garage - my then father in law (ex mechanic) had done them the week before. Now I go to a mechanic who I've known for years and is trustworthy - no more main dealer repairs for me!

budwieser
25-02-2006, 17:33
Its the rubber bushes on the end of the anti roll bar ;)

Oh, Anti rollbar bushes. Cheers.:D

Escapee
25-02-2006, 18:07
Quite a few employees at my last place of work in Tewkesbury used the Peugeot dealer, because they had a Rapid fit centre. I took it in for an oil change and had problems because they said my link bushes front and rear were worn, and both CV boots were split. They said it would be "£600 thank you sir" I said no thanks as I had replaced the one CV boot about 3 weeks earlier. The front link bushes were worn and I picked a pair up for £18 each at the motor factor, they were considerably better made than the original french crap and took about 20 minutes a side to fit.

I heard lots of similar stories and recently heard one about a timing belt problem causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage, it had been fitted at the same garage about 10 months ago. One of the guys I worked with took his Fiat Multipla in there for a service and they got the wrong rear brake shoes, they reluctantly put the car back together for him to go home and it leaked all the fluid out on the motorway because they had not re-fitted a part correctly.

Its a lottery with garages, and main dealers can often be a very bad experience.

etccarmageddon
25-02-2006, 23:58
I've had no problems with kwik fit - when I've taken the car in for new tyres they've always advised me not to bother when they think there is still enough tread. I think it'd down to the branch you deal with - the one I deal with usually is managed by a lad who has been working there for at least 10 years and is a decent lad.

handyman
26-02-2006, 00:10
For another recomendation, Whilst the actual car sales part of Stoneacre Middlesbrough is a shambles and you be avoided at all times the service side is 1st class A1. Whilst they are targeted for amount of work done they do it through getting repeat business.

ad14211
01-05-2011, 15:33
the reason i used kwik fit was because my insurance company MORE THAN gave me a free MOT if i renewed my insurance with them, but the MOT had to be with my local Kwik Fit branch. Anyway they performed the MOT and phoned me to say my brakes needed replacing and will cost around £400. I was going to tell them to do the work because my mother was very ill at the time and could do without the hassel ,however i told them to do one but they said i would have to pay for a re test £55 if a took it somewhere else. i took it too my usual mechanic and he said the brakes would be OK for At Leat another year with the mileage i do. I've just had it MOT'd for this year and been told the brakes should last at least for another 6 months. Suppose the moral of the story is there is no such thing as a free MOT and I will never use Kwik Fit again.

martyh
01-05-2011, 15:58
the reason i used kwik fit was because my insurance company MORE THAN gave me a free MOT if i renewed my insurance with them, but the MOT had to be with my local Kwik Fit branch. Anyway they performed the MOT and phoned me to say my brakes needed replacing and will cost around £400. I was going to tell them to do the work because my mother was very ill at the time and could do without the hassel ,however i told them to do one but they said i would have to pay for a re test £55 if a took it somewhere else. i took it too my usual mechanic and he said the brakes would be OK for At Leat another year with the mileage i do. I've just had it MOT'd for this year and been told the brakes should last at least for another 6 months. Suppose the moral of the story is there is no such thing as a free MOT and I will never use Kwik Fit again.

You do realise this thread is 5 yrs old :D

Anywhoo in relation to your experience ,you did get your free MOT ,and of course you will have pay for a re test because your car failed ,the re test is normally at a reduced price or free if done within a 7 day period at the same test center ,but if you go elsewhere you will have to pay full price because a different test center will have to do a full test .Don't forget that an MOT test is now computerised and your car is now registered as a fail in the DVLA data base and will not be updated unless you get a pass certificate
The other thing to remember is that MOT's are subjective .One tester may have a differing opinion to another ,they will be close but not identical depending on how strict a tester is and since all the testers have said your breaks need doing soon i would get them done

Sirius
01-05-2011, 19:06

Anywhoo in relation to your experience ,you did get your free MOT ,and of course you will have pay for a re test because your car failed ,the re test is normally at a reduced price or free if done within a 7 day period at the same test center ,but if you go elsewhere you will have to pay full price because a different test center will have to do a full test .Don't forget that an MOT test is now computerised and your car is now registered as a fail in the DVLA data base and will not be updated unless you get a pass certificate
The other thing to remember is that MOT's are subjective .One tester may have a differing opinion to another ,they will be close but not identical depending on how strict a tester is and since all the testers have said your breaks need doing soon i would get them done

When you mention Kwikfit to a friend of mine he always says you cant get any more crooked than a kwikfit fitter, I think he had a bad do with them at some point. :LOL:

Personally i find them fine and have never had a problem with them.

Maggy
01-05-2011, 19:36
I however agree with TheBluRajah's original opinion.:D

LSainsbury
02-05-2011, 20:10

So what?

:clap: for the poster for managing to do a search and adding to the thread. Keeps it all nice and neat! :Angel:

Welshchris
02-05-2011, 20:24
Kwik fit even lost the contract for Motability a few years ago because of complaints. My dad had a focus and a puncture in one of the back tyres and took it to them as they had the contract for Motability at the time. There was no one else in the garage at the time and no other cars in. It took them almost 3/4 of an hour to sort it out so much for Kwik Fit! My friend who lives in Plymouth also had a large payout from them after he was on Holiday in Western Supermare and had a puncture and took his car in for repair. On the way home his mrs said she could hear a rattling sound from the back of the car and thought it was was the baby so they pulled over. He checked the wheel they had repaired to discover that the wheel nuts hadnt been tightened and the wheel was moving around and vibrating. I will never deal with them.

Hom3r
02-05-2011, 20:35
I can say I have never had any problems with Kwik Fit.

But I now get my sevicing & MOTs by yhe local Ford dealer, it may cost a bit more but I get genuine Ford parts installed.

What car do you own to warrent £400 for brakes? I paid £200 for front discs and pads on my 55 plate Mondeo, and that was at Ford.

Lord Nikon
02-05-2011, 23:25
Front discs, under 20 each, pads, about 18 a set. fit them myself. Oh, Mustn't forget - brake cleaner about 4 quid for a can. (New discs are coated in grease to stop them rusting.)

papa smurf
03-05-2011, 18:47
we use kwikfit for our fleet of vans- my experience is they aint quick and rarely have the right tyres in stock, but if you have hours to waste sat in their draughty reception go for it , i can honestly say its never been an enjoyable experience compared to other tyre fitting company's which are imo much more efficient .

martyh
03-05-2011, 19:01
we use kwikfit for our fleet of vans- my experience is they aint quick and rarely have the right tyres in stock, but if you have hours to waste sat in their draughty reception go for it , i can honestly say its never been an enjoyable experience compared to other tyre fitting company's which are imo much more efficient .

I've used National tyres before and found them good ,as it happens i only went there because the Kwikfit 200yrds up the road was out of stock for transit tyres ,i mean it's only the most popular van on the road

papa smurf
03-05-2011, 19:04
I've used National tyres before and found them good ,as it happens i only went there because the Kwikfit 200yrds up the road was out of stock for transit tyres ,i mean it's only the most popular van on the road

thats what i always find no trany tyres- there's millions of them on the roads and it always comes as a surprise when you ask for one :(