PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

Poseidon UK
23-02-2006, 20:20
Hi, i have been informed that i need to get a splitter from NTL. A friend of mine told me he had one. I am just confirming how to go about it and would it take long to install.

The connection in my house comes through the wall and into the set top box. I need to separate the cable so my broadband connection goes straight to my router and not through the STB. I have placed this query here as my playstation is the main reason for needing this. My PS2 is in a DMZ on the router and i have been told by quite a few people this is how i go about my poor connection problems when online.

Do I just need to contact NTL and ask them for a splitter to be installed??

Cheers, Mike

southwell
24-02-2006, 11:01
I would have thought you will need to contact NTL as iam unaware of being able to buy cable with the corrent fitment on it.

handyman
24-02-2006, 11:10
Right....

1st things 1st there are 2 things you can get internet from on a ntl cable.

1. is a set-top box with intergrated modem.
2. A seperate cable modem.

In some of the ntl areas it was common place to install the set top box type as that was how the networks was set-up.

In Teesside for example they have installed cable modems from day one as they used a different type of internet standard.

Under normal circumstances there should be little difference between STB and Modem.

What problems are you having maybe we can help/

And welcome to cable forum :wavey:

MovedGoalPosts
24-02-2006, 11:22
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

As Handyman has indicated, you can only get broadband from ntl from a Set Top Box, or Cable Modem. The modem can support faster connections that a Set Top Box, but realistically, anyone with a 2 meg connection via modem or STB should find it more than ample for online gaming.

A splitter will not be of any use whatsoever. You cannot directly connect a router to the cable network. A router just does not know how to speak to the cable network direct.

It you are really convinced that the STB is the problem, you can ask ntl to install a seperate cable modem. They would split the cable to do this so you can still get your TV services. You'd probably have to ask for an upgrade to the 10meg service and pay a £50.00 fee to get the modem.

As a 2 meg service should be very OK for gaming, what exactly are the problems you experience? Someone may be able to assist. Is the problem with your router setup? What happens if you remove the router and just connect the PlayStation to the STB (you'd need to power off and back on the STB when swapping connections)?

Poseidon UK
24-02-2006, 16:39
Thanks, my router is ok as my PS2 is in a DMZ so i'm outside the router in a sense. The problem i have is that when i play online i get disconnected or have no comms. I have never had this problem until we recieved the new box and was upgraded from 750Kb to 2Mb.

One of my friends has the cable modem as he doesn't have the TV and his works perfect. Another person I know has the same setup as me but recently has had NTL have a splitter installed and the separate cable modem, now he says he is also running fine. I just thought i'd post to see if i can get some info on this.

I will probably phone them and ask about installing a splitter and cable modem. Could someone please tell me which support No. i will need to ring as well, thanks.