23-02-2006, 17:26
quit 3 days ago patches seem to work just eating like a horse now

anyone got any advice how to stem my appetite attacks

marky
23-02-2006, 17:30
Find something to occupy your mind, Model building :shrug:

monkey2468
23-02-2006, 17:37
I was told that when you give up smoking and are on NRT, you get sugar deficiency, which makes you feel more hungry, and was adv to eat glucose tablets, the ones athletes use. Also eat low calory stuff like carrot sticks etc. but the feeling of hunger/boredum weares off after a week or so...

sharpygreen
23-02-2006, 17:55
cheers il ltry the carrot sticks but i would prefer cream eggs lol

Tuftus
23-02-2006, 18:28
For the 'habit thing' with the hand to mouth action I found liquorice root sticks pleasant...

Won't help with the appetite though ;)

Pia
23-02-2006, 19:04
Loads of inspiring posts in my thread from last year, about th stopping smoking and appetite: http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27155

Kept me going anyway! Just didn't have the willpower to keep it up:(

Good Luck! And buy plenty of chewing gum!

patrickp
23-02-2006, 19:08
And good luck with quitting the habit, sharpygreen!:clap:

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Got there first, hmmm? Is this Pia pressure? ;-D

Salu
23-02-2006, 19:19
Have a look here.

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk

sharpygreen
23-02-2006, 19:31
thanks for the support

as anyone else had bad feelings on the patches im feeling dizzy all the time
a bit like when you haven't had a ciggie for a while and the 1st one gives you a head rush

why oh why did i ever start peer pressure at school started when i was 10 so been puffing for 28 years

homealone
23-02-2006, 19:39
thanks for the support

a bit like when you haven't had a ciggie for a while and the 1st one gives you a head rush

why oh why did i ever start peer pressure at school started when i was 10 so been puffing for 28 years

you may be able to go to the next strength down?

I didn't ever try patches, but did have a go, once with a fake ciggy with nicotine in & got the same 'head rush', as it was difficult to regulate how hard you sucked on it, to get a hit the same as a real fag.

Went 'cold turkey' in the end, & so far after 18 months, I think I've cracked it.

- good luck, I can guarantee you will feel better :tu:

Gareth
23-02-2006, 19:43
thanks for the support

why oh why did i ever start peer pressure at school started when i was 10 so been puffing for 28 yearsWhere abouts are you placing the patches? You can get different sensations according to where the patch is, ie on your arm (nearer your heart :Yikes: ) or on your leg. Plus, are you switching from left side to right side on alternate days?

Tuftus
23-02-2006, 20:03
Where abouts are you placing the patches? You can get different sensations according to where the patch is, ie on your arm (nearer your heart :Yikes: ) or on your leg. Plus, are you switching from left side to right side on alternate days?

I found the inside of the upper arm the best as there is no or little hairs there... alternate the side each day.

Pia
24-02-2006, 00:41
You're meant to put them on your torso somewhere aren't you?
I always thought the hip might be a good place to put them, but then they made me itch like mad when i tried them on my arms.

basa
24-02-2006, 08:39
thanks for the support

I stopped about 5 weeks ago .. can't say I've been totally abstinent but only relapsed once or twice. The patches really help but I too experienced dizziness but this subsides as you lower the dose. My real bug was indigestion (another noted side effect) but this too has subsided with the lower doses.

I found tic tacs great (low cal too :) ) and sips of water (good for the digestion and general well being).

Stick with it, it does get easier. But boy do I miss that head rush !

My main problem is the habit element, missing that fag whilst walking the dog, getting in the car, my morning coffee etc. Like missing a friend ! :(

---------- Post added at 08:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

You're meant to put them on your torso somewhere aren't you?
I always thought the hip might be a good place to put them, but then they made me itch like mad when i tried them on my arms.

I was told if you unwrap the patch and remove the protective film for about 5 mins before applying it there is little to no itching. Seems to work too ! ;)

monkey2468
24-02-2006, 09:36
thanks for the support

They used to make me feel odd, I used to only use them on the top of my ****, less iching and slower release. The main problem for me with the patches was the total mental vivid dreams. They got so bad I went onto the gum, which I actually prefered to the patches.
edit:oops, I think the swear filter kicked in, it should be bum.

driver_problems
24-02-2006, 09:51
thanks for the support

I am not clear from your posts whether you stopped the patches or took them up again. Either way - patches are no good as it does not remove the nicotine component from the equation. Instead it replaces one source of nicotine with another. It's worth having a look/listen to this (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=srmr&page=title&r=ABCD&title=860264)
I bought it, and loaded it onto an ipod and listen to it intermittently. I have had good success with this - I have caved in here and there, but for the most part its a good way :)

sharpygreen
24-02-2006, 15:44
im still on the patches day 5 now just i fill dizzy on them

have tried before without patches and always failed

im putting the patches on the inside of my arm changing arm daily
thanks for all your input im determined to beat this damm thing

i know im replacing the nicotine but nicotine on its own isnt bad for you or so the doctor told me
its all the other crap that comes with the smoking that does the damage

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

They used to make me feel odd, I used to only use them on the top of my ****, less iching and slower release. The main problem for me with the patches was the total mental vivid dreams. They got so bad I went onto the gum, which I actually prefered to the patches.
edit:oops, I think the swear filter kicked in, it should be bum.

man i thought it was just me been having some right old funny dreams

last night i was dreaming i was in green street fighting next to frodo lol

Pia
24-02-2006, 16:03
im putting the patches on the inside of my arm changing arm daily
You change your arm daily:Yikes: :p:

Angua
24-02-2006, 16:12
Had to be on the day time ones only. The 24 hour ones made me very dizzy. I alternated between arms and each side of my chest.
As for the munchies try fruit and raw veg (not the same as choccies though) and sleep more. Whatever way you look at it you are better off being a bit overweight than smoking.

All the very best and well done!

You sound very detemined and ready

sharpygreen
24-02-2006, 16:31
You change your arm daily:Yikes: :p:

:Dlol not my arm the damm patches hehe :tu:

marky
24-02-2006, 17:09
I'm down to 20 patches a day :disturbd:

driver_problems
24-02-2006, 17:28

I could never understand why there were/are so many chemicals and poisons in a cigarette.:shrug: I think I heard someone mention upwards of 4000 different ones :(

sharpygreen
24-02-2006, 18:23
i remember reading somewhere some of the chemicals are used to keep the thing alight thats why rollies go out all the time they dont have the chemicals in :Yikes:

homealone
24-02-2006, 18:31
i remember reading somewhere some of the chemicals are used to keep the thing alight thats why rollies go out all the time they dont have the chemicals in :Yikes:

some 'tailor made' fags used to have the tobacco soaked in potassium nitrate to help them burn, not sure if they still do. Marlboro were one that I remember where you could actually hear them 'fizzing' - bearing in mind potassium nitrate is also used on the 'blue touch paper' of fireworks, and is a component of gunpowder :Yikes:

- roll your own baccy tends to have more moisture than tailors, as well, which is another reason they go out, more easily ;)

Nidge
25-02-2006, 15:39
I stopped using the patches because they were to hard to light:D :D If you keep yourself fit you can still have a ciggie now and then.

patrickp
25-02-2006, 18:52

I could never understand why there were/are so many chemicals and poisons in a cigarette.:shrug: I think I heard someone mention upwards of 4000 different ones :(

Nicotine is produced by the tobacco plant because it is a powerful neurotoxin (nerve poison), and protects it from insect attacks. It's quite common for plants that do this to produce 'cocktails' of poisons rather than than relying on a single one. Nicotine is also used in insecticides.

Apparently, there's enough nicotine in three cigarettes to kill a human; however, most of it is not inhaled by the smoker.

Pia
25-02-2006, 23:56
Apparently, there's enough nicotine in three cigarettes to kill a human; however, most of it is not inhaled by the smoker.
Mmmmmm i don't believe that for a second. Surely we smoke more than 3 ciggies worth eventually whether we inhale it all or not, say if you have 20?

danielf
26-02-2006, 00:09
Mmmmmm i don't believe that for a second. Surely we smoke more than 3 ciggies worth eventually whether we inhale it all or not, say if you have 20?

That's what I thought. Sounds like a nice sound bite deriving from something like: the amount of nicotine contained in 3 cigarettes would be lethal if injected straight into the heart.

patrickp
26-02-2006, 03:22
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco

sharpygreen
26-02-2006, 07:25
glad im off them now

been 7 days and feeling good

man people that smoke stink guy at work stinks bigtime when he comes in out of the cold and rain after hes ciggie man im not missing it at all :p:

patrickp
26-02-2006, 13:59
Good for you, sharpygreen! ;-)

Wait 'till you've been off for 6 months or so. That guy will really stink then!