PDA

View Full Version : charges for changing phone number

damper
23-02-2006, 16:26
Hi

I enquired about changing my number because of nuisance calls a month ago. NTL said I could and there was no charge. I ended up not changing it but recently the nuisance calls have got worse. I rang ntl today and they said there is now a £25 charge.

Can anyone verify this as my experiences with ntl seem to differ with each person I talk to.

Paul K
23-02-2006, 17:40
Think it's free for a nuisance call situation but I would wait for someone from NTL to confirm. If she doesn't venture into this thread I'll PM our friend in NTL who knows quite a bit ;)
Just had this confirmed by someone in the know:

they should be referred to the nusiance calls bureau ie a form filled in by the ntl person and then they are called back and things taken from there

Get back onto NTL CS and ask to be referred to the nuisance calls bureau. If you are suffering a lot of nuisance calls your number can be changed without charge. (Thought it was the same as BTs' system)

damper
23-02-2006, 22:57
OK, thanx for info :)

UncleBooBoo
23-02-2006, 23:24
Yes it is the same, Bt will change your number for free once every 12 months any more then there is a £10 charge!

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
24-02-2006, 07:51
I had mine changed (about 3 years ago) due to a high volume of what I would now class as "silent calls" - altho at the time there was little publicity over the issue and people weren't as aware then of what they are. I also had a large number of calls for another person who lived locally (about 4 roads away) that I didn't know, and the callers were all adamant that the number they were telling me they had dialled (ie mine) was the number they had been given and sometimes they got thru to this other person (a hairdresser) and sometimes they got me instead (definitely same number, incl diallling code - can't account for how this could ever be possible) and Telewest were adamant the number had been new when issued and was definitely my number and noone elses.

Anyway, after explaining the problem to a very helpful call-centre operative, I was advised as this was my first complaint there would be no charge and the number would be changed (I think they gave me a date it would happen).

SLM
25-02-2006, 15:37
I had mine changed (about 3 years ago) due to a high volume of what I would now class as "silent calls" - altho at the time there was little publicity over the issue and people weren't as aware then of what they are. I also had a large number of calls for another person who lived locally (about 4 roads away) that I didn't know, and the callers were all adamant that the number they were telling me they had dialled (ie mine) was the number they had been given and sometimes they got thru to this other person (a hairdresser) and sometimes they got me instead (definitely same number, incl diallling code - can't account for how this could ever be possible) and Telewest were adamant the number had been new when issued and was definitely my number and noone elses.

Anyway, after explaining the problem to a very helpful call-centre operative, I was advised as this was my first complaint there would be no charge and the number would be changed (I think they gave me a date it would happen).

That used to happen to me with the local collage my last 4 numbers where 7755 and the collage was 5577, people would argue the toss with me and they would always say they where right until I pointed out the closeness of the numbers and the headmaster was not here.... :banghead:

Stu038
25-02-2006, 15:49
I get a lot of calls from an indian family who get confused with the quantity of 2s in the number, they got a habit of dialing treble 2 instead of double. That means they dial a 12 digit number instead of 11 so the exchange ignores the last one and connects to me instead.
Understandable enough mistake but annoying when they do it a couple of times in a row at 3.0 oclock in the morning :mad: :mad:

SLM
25-02-2006, 16:20
I get a lot of calls from an indian family who get confused with the quantity of 2s in the number, they got a habit of dialing treble 2 instead of double. That means they dial a 12 digit number instead of 11 so the exchange ignores the last one and connects to me instead.
Understandable enough mistake but annoying when they do it a couple of times in a row at 3.0 oclock in the morning :mad: :mad:

:LOL: sorry should not laugh.