PDA

View Full Version : UK Broadband users are ripped off

kanagarajanc
19-11-2003, 22:12
Hopefully most of u read the article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3278375.stm

For 20 quid u get 20Mbps............ That looks like a dream to happen in UK. Just feel getting ripped off................
Any thoughts............

kronas
19-11-2003, 22:17
Hopefully most of u read the article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3278375.stm

For 20 quid u get 20Mbps............ That looks like a dream to happen in UK. Just feel getting ripped off................
Any thoughts............

this is not new its been known for a long time that broadband in the uk is expensive but you have got to ask who is paying for the infastructure in this case it seems yahoo BB are

in the uk we need the government to give grants to the leading companies else i dont see those speeds anytime soon

Defiant
19-11-2003, 22:42
You can just picture NTL offering this service,

http://www.ntl.com/images/logo_ntlhome.gif

20MB Broadband Connection for just £199 a month

Subject to terms and conditions and 1GB cap so no more than a few minutes a day usage please

darkangel
19-11-2003, 23:01
ntl don't have any competition so they have no need to offer higher levels of service, until real competition arrive we are stuck with what we have, the networks in japan etc are well built and are relatively new and they put a heavier emphasis on technology at home

lincsat
19-11-2003, 23:16
Not Just Japan - My Friend in Sweden has a 8 meg down/ 4 meg up connection for about £25 per month

Undisputedtruth
19-11-2003, 23:30
Basically, NTL's broadband customers are doing a fine job of helping to pay off their debts. Considering the cost of UBR's equates to a one off charge £20 per UBR per customer then you could argue NTL is making a large killing.

kronas
20-11-2003, 00:47
Basically, NTL's broadband customers are doing a fine job of helping to pay off their debts. Considering the cost of UBR's equates to a one off charge £20 per UBR per customer then you could argue NTL is making a large killing.

there is 1 big bill that you fail to include and thats BANDWIDTH yes they have deals setup so they can get bandwidth at good rates but someone has to pay for that as well

Paul
20-11-2003, 00:53
ntl don't have any competition so they have no need to offer higher levels of serviceErm, they do have competition, there are numerous ADSL suppliers about.

Paul
20-11-2003, 00:56
Basically, NTL's broadband customers are doing a fine job of helping to pay off their debts. Considering the cost of UBR's equates to a one off charge £20 per UBR per customer then you could argue NTL is making a large killing.Does that include the building to house it, the cables in the road to connect it, the engineers to support it, etc etc ?

Defiant
20-11-2003, 00:58
there is 1 big bill that you fail to include and thats BANDWIDTH yes they have deals setup so they can get bandwidth at good rates but someone has to pay for that as well

So all these other country's don't pay as much as NTL now which offer much higher BB. So its not NTL ripping the customers off then. No yes okay then

Undisputedtruth
20-11-2003, 01:22
Does that include the building to house it, the cables in the road to connect it, the engineers to support it, etc etc ?

As you're asking the questions and is usually on my tail, what is the answer?

Jerrek
20-11-2003, 01:26
Their taxes make up for the good though. Anything over $18,000 is taxed at 37%. *shudder*

Shaun
20-11-2003, 17:11
Their taxes make up for the good though. Anything over $18,000 is taxed at 37%. *shudder*

Our top rate of tax is 40% :rolleyes:

Dooby
20-11-2003, 17:44
Our top rate of tax is 40% :rolleyes:
yeah, but it doesnt kick in at the equivalent of $18k !!! ( roughly £11k )

paulyoung666
20-11-2003, 18:07
yeah, but it doesnt kick in at the equivalent of $18k !!! ( roughly £11k )

its around £35000 / year before it kicks in if i remember rightly , and arent japan and sweden very expensive places to live anyway ??????????????

Ignition
21-11-2003, 10:42
this is not new its been known for a long time that broadband in the uk is expensive but you have got to ask who is paying for the infastructure in this case it seems yahoo BB are

Actually it is being provided by the Japanese equivalent of BT, NTT for the most part. NTT also offer a wholesale Fibre to home product. Yahoo are reselling NTT wholesale products, in the same manner that DSL providers in the UK sell the massive 512k and 1Mbit products that BT offer.

Speed rises to that extent? USA is just up to 3Mbit / 384kbit on cable, but 30GB month down, 7.5GB a month upstream, Canada cable goes higher but comes with the dreaded cap with even lower limits.

Other side is what's the point at the moment? Until the demand is really there it's not worth it. BT or Telewest or ntl: will twitch at some point and speeds will burst up, but whether it'll stay on relatively low contention and unlimited is a very different matter. More than likely it won't, you can't have low contention, high speeds and no limits on data transfer for a low price, just not feasible. Give and take from ISPs and customers really.

Japan are tech junkies, they regard these connections we consider as extreme speeds as just another utility. Most UK people are quite happy with 150k or 512k, some downright ecstatic with it, and only a small minority of cable customers take 1Mbit. This is partly to do with the price of the service no doubt, but while 512k is perceived as being a good connection higher speeds will be slow. People need to raise their expectations for the max speeds they need, at the same time lower them as far as qualty of service goes.

Jerrek
21-11-2003, 19:51
Speed rises to that extent? USA is just up to 3Mbit / 384kbit on cable, but 30GB month down, 7.5GB a month upstream, Canada cable goes higher but comes with the dreaded cap with even lower limits.
Fascinating. I wasn't aware I had a cap. Nor was I aware that the other cable companies, Shaw, Rogers, Videotron, and Telus, had caps. Some DSL providers have caps, but Bell Sympatico (1.5 Mb for regular, 3 Mb for pro package) does not have caps. They had caps last year for all of nine months when people decided to get rid of it and get cable. How fast they changed their tune.

Meanwhile, my cable company just raised my down speed to 7 Mb. I'm quite content with that for now. Of course, 26 Mb would be nice, but as it is right now I can get a 700 MB movie in just over 20 minutes from Usenet.

Ramrod
21-11-2003, 20:03
its around £35000 / year before it kicks in if i remember rightly , and arent japan and sweden very expensive places to live anyway ??????????????It's around the £30k mark

Dooby
22-11-2003, 09:28
It's around the £30k mark
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/rates/it.htm
its on any taxable earnings over £30,500 ( i.e. after you have deducted the 'tax free' portion of your earnings, so for most people that is £30,500 +£4,615 =£35,11 5)

kronas
22-11-2003, 10:35
Actually it is being provided by the Japanese equivalent of BT, NTT for the most part. NTT also offer a wholesale Fibre to home product. Yahoo are reselling NTT wholesale products, in the same manner that DSL providers in the UK sell the massive 512k and 1Mbit products that BT offer.

correct

as jerrek pointed out there are high speed services without caps because people
power has resisted it

Other side is what's the point at the moment? Until the demand is really there it's not worth it. BT or Telewest or ntl: will twitch at some point and speeds will burst up, but whether it'll stay on relatively low contention and unlimited is a very different matter. More than likely it won't, you can't have low contention, high speeds and no limits on data transfer for a low price, just not feasible. Give and take from ISPs and customers really.

demand is there more and more people are discovering broadband and if used correctly it can be beneficial to anybody the networks in this country are outdated they need upgrades so that they can handle high speeds the fibre is there in the ground its the local networks and laying fibre to the home that i want to see

Japan are tech junkies

yes and we would not have quite a number of things(electrical) if they werent ;)

they regard these connections we consider as extreme speeds as just another utility.

the uk is always behind others in technology :rolleyes:

Most UK people are quite happy with 150k or 512k, some downright ecstatic with it, and only a small minority of cable customers take 1Mbit. This is partly to do with the price of the service no doubt, but while 512k is perceived as being a good connection higher speeds will be slow. People need to raise their expectations for the max speeds they need, at the same time lower them as far as qualty of service goes.

i agree most people are content with 512k or 128k for occasional use but in order to build a good service you must move forward the planning system for increased speeds in other countries demand is there because cable has been available longer and people understand how cable can have a positive affect on education and a quick source of information

studys have shown broadband will aid the economy to the tune of £22bn by 2015............

so im not just looking out for myself it would be a great asset for the whole of the uk to have a high speed network

erol
22-11-2003, 11:36

That's not quite accurate. There is a very big difference between the unbundled BT products here and the unbundled NTT products in Japan (which are generaly considered interconection products and not wholesale products btw).

In the UK BT was forced to offer competing operators access to it's local loops, at a regulated cost plus basis. In Japan this is also the case but they (japanese gov) ALSO have forced NTT to 'unbundle' (offer competitors cost plus access to) their dark fiber. This is not the case in the UK and is a major reason that YahooBB in Japan have been able to build their network and offer competing products that are 'superior' to those on offer in the UK. There are of course other factors involved but this is proabaly the biggest single factor / difference.

To Kronas

'Bandwidth' does cost money of course but it is a very minor part of the overall cost of provision of BB. I would estimate it at less than 5% of the total cost of provision (and maybe as low as 1%). It is also very subject to 'economies of scale' so if X amount of 'bandwidth' (external connectivity to the internet) cost Y then 10 * X does NOT cosy 10 * Y. Also such external connectivity is usualy a matter of peering agreements rather than interconnect agreeements and thus the economies of 'getting it' are very different.

Ignition
25-11-2003, 11:31
Fascinating. I wasn't aware I had a cap. Nor was I aware that the other cable companies, Shaw, Rogers, Videotron, and Telus, had caps. Some DSL providers have caps, but Bell Sympatico (1.5 Mb for regular, 3 Mb for pro package) does not have caps. They had caps last year for all of nine months when people decided to get rid of it and get cable. How fast they changed their tune.

Meanwhile, my cable company just raised my down speed to 7 Mb. I'm quite content with that for now. Of course, 26 Mb would be nice, but as it is right now I can get a 700 MB movie in just over 20 minutes from Usenet.

From www.videotron.ca:

VidÃÃâ€*’©otron high-speed Internet
Download speed 3.1 Mbps
Download capacity 15 GB
Upload capacity 5 GB

But to be fair:

VidÃÃâ€*’©otron Extreme High-Speed Internet
Download speed (from the Internet to your computer) 4 Mbps
(up to 70 times faster than a 56 kbps modem)
Upload speed (from your computer to the Internet) 640 kbps
Monthly download capacity Unlimited
Monthly upload capacity Unlimited
Connection time Unlimited
Cheap too.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7680515~root=comcast~mode=flat

Comcast's capping.

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031105.gtjacknov5/BNStory/Technology/

Rogers

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8408532~root=cover,1623~mode=flat

Telus

So monsieur Kronas - people power didn't work, and caps are a fact of life really in some places. If they mean faster speeds I'm all in favour to be honest.
Jerrek your ISP is?

kronas
26-11-2003, 01:15
From www.videotron.ca:

So monsieur Kronas - people power didn't work, and caps are a fact of life really in some places. If they mean faster speeds I'm all in favour to be honest.
Jerrek your ISP is?

not every isp is uncapped i have never claimed that

To Kronas

'Bandwidth' does cost money of course but it is a very minor part of the overall cost of provision of BB. I would estimate it at less than 5% of the total cost of provision (and maybe as low as 1%). It is also very subject to 'economies of scale' so if X amount of 'bandwidth' (external connectivity to the internet) cost Y then 10 * X does NOT cosy 10 * Y. Also such external connectivity is usualy a matter of peering agreements rather than interconnect agreeements and thus the economies of 'getting it' are very different.

maintenance to the network,techs customer service tech support people have to be paid as well there those hidden costs higher speeds can be achieved but not without investment looking at NTL's current state your telling me they can invest in the modifications needed for the network docsis etc ?

Jerrek
26-11-2003, 01:56
(snip stuff about Videotron
Fascinating. Just like Cogeco, my ISP. BUT, if you dug a little deeper you would have noticed that it is there for legal reasons, and legal reasons only, and that they don't enforce their capping. I've done 155 GB so far this month, and last month I did 141 GB. I've been doing a pretty constant 50 GB + for the past four years and no complaint. So, no cap.

Comcast's capping.
Comcast is in the United States, not Canada.

Rogers
Rogers has no cap. The link you're giving is in error.

Telus
Telus is reselling Shaw lines. They too have never billed a person for excessive usage.

Go to www.broadbandreports.com and then go to Canadian broadband. It is a forum I read daily and you'll see cable companies in Canada have no caps. That they are enforcing.

Ignition
26-11-2003, 09:28
Fascinating. Just like Cogeco, my ISP. BUT, if you dug a little deeper you would have noticed that it is there for legal reasons, and legal reasons only, and that they don't enforce their capping. I've done 155 GB so far this month, and last month I did 141 GB. I've been doing a pretty constant 50 GB + for the past four years and no complaint. So, no cap.

Comcast is in the United States, not Canada.

Rogers has no cap. The link you're giving is in error.

Telus is reselling Shaw lines. They too have never billed a person for excessive usage.

Go to www.broadbandreports.com and then go to Canadian broadband. It is a forum I read daily and you'll see cable companies in Canada have no caps. That they are enforcing.

Interesting. Spotted the 5Mbit/640kbit package with the 30GB/mth combined traffic limit - they don't enforce any of this? Seems a bit pointless doing these limits if they aren't enforcing them, though considering ntl: forum I'm not really in a position to comment....

Ouch @ 155GB this month, been a busy one for movies + games?

BTW I know Canada has it pretty good as well as being a lovely place to live in a lot of ways, that's why I'm planning on moving out there in a couple of years, did consider Toronto but Ottawa is the favourite right now. How's the tax burden? Have heard some really bad things about the taxes you pay and bit of research I've done agrees :(

Jerrek
26-11-2003, 10:10
I downloaded Deep Space Nine. [all seven seasons at 9 GB per season, plus 9-12 GB per season in uploads] And about 10 movies. Anyways, the 5 Mbps is the official speed, but they are doing 7 right now on a trail basis to see how it is going. It used to be 4 a few months ago but they are constantly upping it.

And the tax burden is rather annoying. 22% income tax up to $32,000 and then 26% or so. Not to mention the damn 15% sales tax. Gas came down a bit... Now about $0.65 a liter (0.29 or 0.28 UK pounds).

SMHarman
26-11-2003, 12:19
I downloaded Deep Space Nine. [all seven seasons at 9 GB per season, plus 9-12 GB per season in uploads] And about 10 movies. Anyways, the 5 Mbps is the official speed, but they are doing 7 right now on a trail basis to see how it is going. It used to be 4 a few months ago but they are constantly upping it.

And the tax burden is rather annoying. 22% income tax up to $32,000 and then 26% or so. Not to mention the damn 15% sales tax. Gas came down a bit... Now about $0.65 a liter (0.29 or 0.28 UK pounds).

As a student is more of your bandwidth useage during the day or late at night rather than evenings and weekends.

Assuming they have the technology to monitor these things, excessive usage is only a problem if it affects other users. If it is all at 3am when nobody else is on line then why penalise - bandwidth is a use or lose utility.