PDA

View Full Version : What's the point of a tie?

ScaredWebWarrior
23-02-2006, 09:15
Now the BMA are urging doctors to ditch the tie (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4735270.stm)as a 'functionless' item of their atire, is it time for all working men to be free to do so too?

I've not worn a tie to work in many years - fortunately in IT (certainly at the 'coalface') there is a long tradition of casual being the 'uniform'. Fine by me.

Not that I've got anything against a smart suit/tie - great for that special look for a date or occasion. And if you're going to wear a suit - which is often fairly bland, then the choice of shirt/tie allow you to express yourself.
As it happens, I also like to add a waistcoat, as that really adds to the effect, and ensures that when your jacket comes off, the outfit still has that something special.

So, while I think that the tie, as an item of the work uniform, is really unnecessary, the tie still has a place in a man's wardrobe - certainly as long as the suit remains our basic 'smart' outfit.

Paul
23-02-2006, 09:19
Pointless, I avoid them at all costs. My normal work attire is jeans & teeshirt.

liamboyle06
23-02-2006, 09:20
Pointless, I avoid them at all costs. My normal work attire is jeans & teeshirt.

Agree totally, Only use ties for interviews - which is very few and far between.

Aragorn
23-02-2006, 09:24
I wear a tie for formal customer meetings, but thats perhaps once a month. Rest of the time, work is 'smart casual' - shirt/polo and chinos.

dilli-theclaw
23-02-2006, 09:24
I only wear a tie when I go to a wedding or a funeral.

Matthew
23-02-2006, 09:36
For work its just trousers and shirt, can wear tie if you want but most don't and then on Fridays its what ever you want.

I hate wearing ties and avoid at all cost, never worn one since I left school back in June.

Ramrod
23-02-2006, 10:20
I only wear a tie when I go to a wedding or a funeral.Same here

homealone
23-02-2006, 10:23
:( we are classed as 'customer facing', although actually seeing a customer happens rarely, we can't predict when one will turn up, so we are expected to wear a tie.

My token protest is to always wear the same one - with the logo from a rival company on it ;)

Chris
23-02-2006, 10:25
I wear one when I absolutely have to - formal business meetings, weddings etc - thankfully my employer is enlightened and does not enforce a suit and tie as dress code.

Halcyon
23-02-2006, 10:26
Not a big fan of ties. I find them old fashioned and even with a suit, I prefer it without a tie.

Salu
23-02-2006, 10:41
I think the original point of ties was to help prevent spillage on your shirt when eating. A sort of formal bib.

Regarding Drs attire, it's purely tradition and habit. Many hospitals encourage the use of theatre blues now. The white coat is mostly absent these days too.

Escapee
24-02-2006, 17:30
I used to wear one for meetings in my previous job, but now wear one every day except Friday for the current job. I think there can be a definate advantage with image in wearing formal trouser, shirt and tie. I go the full hog now, even wear a fairly expensive watch and often expensive cufflinks.

I was always a hands on person, but I remember being told "The further you roll up your sleeves the more work you have to do" the current position is more consultancy/project management, and I doubt if I would command as much respect with our external customer or senior management if I didn't wear a tie.

Although I prefer casual dress, the image you present very often has an effect on the way people percieve you.

PS. I am usually the best dressed in the pub on the weekend, but I was always one of the scruffiest when I was a service engineer type.

Maggy
24-02-2006, 18:12
As a female I too have often wondered why you blokes put up with ties.:shrug:

Rebel I say and burn your symbols of oppression.Be free to have the wind at your necks. ;)

Unless of course you LIKE wearing them. :)

Tuftus
24-02-2006, 18:22
If there was an option for Don't have to wear a tie but you can if you like, that would get my vote.

Personally I choose not to on a day to day basis, however for meetings etc I choose to.

littld
24-02-2006, 19:15
I like my ties, don't get to wear them as much as I'd like since everyone's got so casual.

Best thing is they keep your neck warm on cold days.

monkey2468
24-02-2006, 19:33
I like my ties, don't get to wear them as much as I'd like since everyone's got so casual.

Best thing is they keep your neck warm on cold days.

isn't that what a scarf is for! ;)

ellie
25-02-2006, 16:37
I thought the point of a tie was so that you can pull your guy around the bedroom with it :naughty:
...I like ties ;)

patrickp
25-02-2006, 18:58

Rebel I say and burn your symbols of oppression.Be free to have the wind at your necks. ;)

Yes, I like wearing ties. One of the reasons for doing this is that us men don't have as much freedom in formal situations as women do to wear what we want. A tie is one acceptable way we can add a little individuality to formal wear - a suit. ;-)

Maggy
25-02-2006, 19:19

Yes, I like wearing ties. One of the reasons for doing this is that us men don't have as much freedom in formal situations as women do to wear what we want. A tie is one acceptable way we can add a little individuality to formal wear - a suit. ;-)

That Beau Brummell has so much to apologise for...I wonder if he realised that pushing men into wearing 'The Suit' he was doing away with individuality?However in in his time, men could express more through the way they tied their cravats.So whomever it was who got men off cravats has a lot to answer for.;)

Maybe it's time to re-invent 'The Suit'. Anyone got any ideas? Or maybe men just don't want to expend the time that women do in choosing what to wear each day?

I think the people who are luckiest are those that HAVE to wear a uniform for work.No thinking beyond keeping it clean and neat.

marky
25-02-2006, 19:28
I thought the point of a tie was so that you can pull your guy around the bedroom with it :naughty:
...I like ties ;)

*Breaks out his leather tie* :D