PDA

View Full Version : Moving from ntl to Sky - advice please

littld
21-02-2006, 21:21
OK I've finally made the decision to give Sky a go.

Question is, what's the best way to handle the switchover? Should I try to get ntl to finish the same day as Sky starts? How do I avoid being charged for both at the same time?

Also, any downsides? First one I can think of is the high cost of calling customer services at sky. Any other downsides I should be aware of?

Also, the website at sky says their 3 month half price offer expires at the end of Feb. Does anyone know if that will happen or are they likely to just have another offer that ends at the end of March?!

Advice greatfully received.

Derek
22-02-2006, 09:03
I wouldn't have the Ntl finish on the same day just in case something happens with the Sky install.

The only downside I can think of is (very) rarely I have picture freezing and breakups during bad weather but in the last year thats only happened 3 times and all 3 times it was absolutely hammering it down, thunder, lightening etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the offer expiring at the end of Feb. They have said several times they want 10Mil subscribers and I reckon they'll be going all out to get new customers over the coming 18 months.

andygrif
22-02-2006, 09:52
OK I've finally made the decision to give Sky a go.

Question is, what's the best way to handle the switchover? Should I try to get ntl to finish the same day as Sky starts? How do I avoid being charged for both at the same time?

Also, any downsides? First one I can think of is the high cost of calling customer services at sky. Any other downsides I should be aware of?

Also, the website at sky says their 3 month half price offer expires at the end of Feb. Does anyone know if that will happen or are they likely to just have another offer that ends at the end of March?!

Advice greatfully received.

I made the switch late last year to coincide with our house move. I gave ntl their required 30 days notice (which naturally they denied I had), despite having a letter from ntl confirm I had!

I had our disconnection date as our moving day, but they wanted to collect the box three days before! Naturally I said no, and they eventually agreed to collect the STB from our new house, which they did. Then one week later they turned up at our old address to collect the STB again!

Sky were fine. There was a mix-up at their end in sending the viewing card to the new address rather than old one, during which time I encountered stupid CS people that could have easily been working for ntl. But it was sorted quickly.

I agree with you about the 0870 number. I think it's scandalous charging customers 10ppm to call their supplier - there are international rates cheaper than that. However if you know where to look you might find a freephone number to call Sky CS on. Also, as they only provide you with TV, you'll probably find that you don't need to call them. I've not needed to since our installation.

You might want to consider getting Sky installed a couple of days before your ntl contract ends. If you live in a standard construction house that faces in the right direction, you'll probably not have any problems. If the installer needs to put the dish on the chimney then I think they have a speciallist team that does the heights, which you'll have to wait for, maybe a week. Also very tall trees can be a problem for dishes.

However these are all exceptional circumstances, if you've got neighbours with dishes, you'll probably be fine with the standard install.

I've not had any problems with picture freezing, even with the snow we had after Christmas, and the STB is far more reliable than ntl's (we went for Sky+ rather than basic Sky, and it's wonderful).

You might find different deals start appearing during March, as they are about to launch their Sky HD (hi-def) system, which will be their focus for April. That doesn't mean that the deal will disappear or that a better one won't appear, but just be aware of what's happening. Don't forget you need to give ntl a month's notice.

Hope you're as happy with Sky as we are, good luck with the transition.

littld
22-02-2006, 20:17
Oh dear, can't get away.

When I rang ntl to arrange the cancellation date they made an offer I couldn't refuse. Oh well...

littld
06-03-2006, 14:19
...and then what do you know but Sky beat the offer.

Watching new Sky box now (installed this morning).

Changing channels is much quicker, I miss the old ntl Favourites but going pretty well so far.

andygrif
06-03-2006, 14:28
there's two things i miss from ntl:

1. being able to re-order the channels
2. being able to bring up the programme synopsys for any programme on the mini-guide.

But small prices to pay for a much better system IMHO.

Neil
06-03-2006, 14:33
there's two things i miss from ntl:

1. being able to re-order the channels
2. being able to bring up the programme synopsys for any programme on the mini-guide.

But small prices to pay for a much better system IMHO.

Re: Number 2-can you not just press the 'Info' button?

Derek
06-03-2006, 14:43

It only shows the info on the program you are watching.

On Ntl if you have a program highlighted in the miniguide you bring up the information for that show instead of the one currently being viewed.

Pia
06-03-2006, 15:25
A quicker way around that though is to add it to your planner and Info it from there.
Not as simple i know, but sometimes quicker than going through the tv guide menu, especially if it's on a higher channel.

littld
06-03-2006, 19:10
On the TV there is a helpful duck which tells the dog that pressing the blue button will show a list of favourite channels.

This doesn't work on mine (installed today).

Is this a planned change for Sky in the future or do you only get it if you are an existing customer?

I think I'd like this feature if I can get it. Any other Sky users got this feature?

Thanks, Dave

EBO48
06-03-2006, 22:31
Yes when I press the blue button the first of my "favourites " show then with each press it goes to the next etc With the tv guide when I press blue it will list all of them

Pia
06-03-2006, 22:42
You need to go into the services menu and the option is there for selecting your favourite channels, just be sure to press select after making all your choices:)
Once you have assigned your favourites, pressing the blue button will take you through them, while watching tv.

andygrif
06-03-2006, 23:52

No, this only brings up the info on the programme you're currently watching.

chocky909
14-03-2006, 15:49
It only shows the info on the program you are watching.

On Ntl if you have a program highlighted in the miniguide you bring up the information for that show instead of the one currently being viewed.

Ah, the one single thing I would give to NTL over SKY. :dozey: Always annoyed me on SKY that.