PDA

View Full Version : help, gaming, broadband ntl crap?

JoeBloggs
21-02-2006, 20:09
Ok I am thinking of changing ISP's cause NTL are really doing my head in (or if its not their fault, then my apologies)

I have the 200 modem on a 10MB connection with a Linksys BEFSR41 v2, running just 2 computers.

Manually confiqured my LAN connection... (see pic)

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/1166/ntl3bx.png

Just seems whenever I game, my connection is holding me back... I have decent hardware, so I cant see that being the case.

AMD Athlon 3700 Venice
A8N-Sli
BFG 7800 GT
Antec 480w PSU
2 x 200GB hdd's (seagate & maxtor)

What do you think the problem is? Do I need to run some apps or something to get the bext out of my line... maybe my router is dieing?

I need suggestions & help, very appreciated if someone could help me.

thanks, oh & im in the swansea area.

Paul K
21-02-2006, 20:12
Why are you manually configuring an IP and what actually is the issue??

UncleBooBoo
21-02-2006, 20:13
Have you run a speed test?

If so post your results here so we can take a look!

As you no doubt already know go here to do a speed test: http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

JoeBloggs
21-02-2006, 20:17
I had to manually confiquire cause the router didnt assign me a 192 address, so I had to do that to actually use the net. (yes i have dhcp client service running)

It's just everytime I game, I get laggy stuttre's, lag spikes. im not too sure what the problem is.

---------------------------------------------------------
speed test results
---------------------------------------------------------

Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test (unregistered)
Speed Test Report 06/02/21 20:14 - Full test

Test conducted at: 21/02/2006 20:14:34
Test sequence: Full test

Please note that these results are a snapshot of this particular moment. Run the test a few times to ensure maximum accuracy. Although the test has been constructed to be highly accurate, no guarantees can be made to the level of accuracy experienced in everyday use.

Test 1: Ping times to UK servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 30 ms (lower is better)

swansea.ac.uk: 25.5 ms
f2s.com: 27.3 ms
gnu.teleglobe.net: 23.3 ms
linx.net: 24.5 ms

The results of this test indicate no problems.

Test 2: Ping times to European servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 50 ms (lower is better)

univie.ac.at: 82.5 ms
rediris.es: 45.3 ms
tu-berlin.de: 99 ms
sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch: 43.3 ms

This result is much poorer than expected and should be investigated.

Test 3: Ping times to east-coast USA servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 120 ms (lower is better)

mirror.nocservices.com: This test failed due to a server timeout or other error.
internet2.edu: 144 ms
internet2.edu: 144.3 ms
mirror.cc.vt.edu: 98.8 ms

Test 4: Ping times to west-coast USA servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 160 ms (lower is better)

ucla.edu: 160 ms
redhat.netnitco.net: 148.8 ms
mirrors.usc.edu: 150 ms
cybertrails.com: 171 ms

Test 5: Ping times to east Asia servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 300 ms (lower is better)

apache.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw: 301 ms
apache-kr.org: 295 ms
apache.netsolutions.com.hk: 293.7 ms
apache.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw: 302.5 ms

Test 6: Ping times to Australian servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 350 ms (lower is better)

froggy.com.au: 426.3 ms
mirror.pacific.net.au: 359 ms
apache.inspire.net.nz: 325.3 ms
froggy.com.au: 425.3 ms

Test 7: Ping times to central Asian servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 300 ms (lower is better)

oynasana.com: 93 ms
apache.dnepr.net: 67.8 ms
oynasana.com: 93.5 ms
apache.dnepr.net: 69.3 ms

Test 8: Download speeds from UK servers

Ideally, you should get a result of around 1000 Kb/s (higher is better)

apache.mirror.positive-internet.com: 5173 Kb/s

Test 9: Download speeds from European servers

heanet.ie: 5064 Kb/s

Test 10: Download speeds from east-coast USA servers

csh.lkams.kernel.org: 4138 Kb/s

Test 11: Upload speeds to the Speed Test Server

Ideally, you should get a result of around 60 Kb/s (higher is better)

Not conducted: You must register this software in order to perform this test.

Please click 'What's This?' for information on registering this software to enable this test.

Test 12: Packet loss en route to a UK server

Ideally, you should get a result of around 0 % (lower is better)

bristol.ac.uk: 0 %
bristol.ac.uk: 0 %

Test 13: Packet loss en route to a European server

sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch: 0 %
club-internet.fr: 0 %

Test 14: Packet loss en route to an east-coast USA server

ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu: This test failed due to a server timeout or other error.
mirror.cc.vt.edu: 0 %

Too many server errors occurred therefore this test is inconclusive.

End of testing.

This report was collated using Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test. For more information or to download, please visit www.broadbandspeedtest.net.

Generated 21/02/2006 20:14:34 using test version 3.0.316 - unregistered COPY

KevAmiga
22-02-2006, 08:20
I had to manually confiquire cause the router didnt assign me a 192 address,

What did it assign you then??

monkey2468
22-02-2006, 09:02
Have you tried a direct connection to the modem without the router?

JoeBloggs
22-02-2006, 17:12
Have you tried a direct connection to the modem without the router?
Well after a browse through Steam's Help (counter-strike) I found out their is a particular problem with the Linksys BEFSR41 V2, Apparently their recent firmware is a no no.

So I installed the recommended Version 1.45.7 firmware & everything seems to be running ok... I was recieving fragmented packets arriving out of order in CSS... but thats fixed now thanks to the firemware.

@Kev.. not sure the whole ip, but it didnt start with a 214 like normally... more like 165.x.x or something i cant really remember... all i know is that i couldnt access the net using that IP.

:dunce:

sollp
22-02-2006, 20:01
Would be nice if the header to this thread was changed. Just goes to prove that alot of people are to quick to blame the ISP first rather than investigate, then blame where necessary.

jtwn
22-02-2006, 20:23
You didn't even say what the specific problem was either...

JoeBloggs
23-02-2006, 00:36
You didn't even say what the specific problem was either...

yeh sorry man... let me explain myself.

Ok well recently I upgraded my CPU, Motherboard, Videocard & PSU (i had a p4 2.8/p4p800se/ati9600sapphire/eagle psu... then upgraded to a AMD 3700 san diego/a8n-sli deluxe/bfg 7800gt/antec 400w - (i sort of blamed the lag on my pc so i upgraded & spent money, but oh well...)

I upgraded because my gaming experience was very bad I enjoy online gaming, I just thought my pc wasn't good enough...

Counter-Strike Source would lock up randomly (couldn't move forward & backwards... could only move my crosshairs... couldnt fire/chat/other people frooze on screen/ & often I would have to re-connect to the server to play properly again.

this didn't happen on every server, mostly on server's that had more than 15 people on it or just random servers?... i got frooze up every 5mins on the servers that didnt like my connection.
Not only that but if i did happen to get a game without any disconnects, when the map changed I was unable to load the next map.

So anyways, I updated my system to a decent gaming rig, once built by myself I still was receiving "bad gameplay", this led me 2 thing's... NTL or LINKSYS - well turns out... it was linksys.

the problem does not lie within ntl, but more to do with your router or network config... or maybe ntl & linksys dont agree, i dont know.

After disabling PPOE & UpNp in the router's settings AND disabling a few window services ("Wireless Zero Configuration & a few others) -
downgraded the firmware to version i mentioned above & walla... no more disconnects & lags, although I do get some lag but rarely! now I know the difference between server lag & My lag.

Hope this will help some people, i know its very frustrating.

Nanook
23-02-2006, 13:44
I don't think the Linksys BEFSR41 v2 can do the full 10meg, but the v3 does. Also the speed test you did seems to think you're on a 1meg tier... "Ideally, you should get a result of around 1000 Kb/s (higher is better)" ...and your results say that you're getting around the 4000-5000 Kb/s, about half of what you could/should get on a 10meg con.

Some more info in this thread.. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=38173

Graham M
23-02-2006, 14:28
I don't think the Linksys BEFSR41 v2 can do the full 10meg, but the v3 does. Also the speed test you did seems to think you're on a 1meg tier... "Ideally, you should get a result of around 1000 Kb/s (higher is better)" ...and your results say that you're getting around the 4000-5000 Kb/s, about half of what you could/should get on a 10meg con.

Some more info in this thread.. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=38173

The speed of your Internet Connection WILL NOT affect online gaming (unless its 56k-1MBit. It's the latency that counts.

To the OP. Are you connecting Via Wireless as this can increase latency by leaps and bounds, can you not connect wired?

JoeBloggs
24-02-2006, 03:26
The speed of your Internet Connection WILL NOT affect online gaming (unless its 56k-1MBit. It's the latency that counts.

To the OP. Are you connecting Via Wireless as this can increase latency by leaps and bounds, can you not connect wired?

No - This is a wired router.

@Nanook... are u sure the V2 cant do 10mb?
- I will test 2moro by plugging the ntl line straight into my pc.

2 days on, still good gamin after that firmware, i also noticed that my browsing speed has improved.

Nanook
24-02-2006, 14:42
JoeBloggs, I am sure that the v3 can do 10meg as it has a 10/100 port going in & four 10/100 ports coming out. As for the v2, I only have the info that others have given about their routers in the other thread I pointed to. Did you take a look at it?

As Zeph pointed out, it shouldn't affect your ping times, but will affect your download speed, i.e. you're only getting about 5-6meg at the moment instead of max of almost 10meg. A direct connection from the modem to the PC will give you an idea of what your best speed could be. Hope this makes sense..... I'm no teacher:), more of a class:dunce:

Ignition
24-02-2006, 17:30
Would be nice if the header to this thread was changed. Just goes to prove that alot of people are to quick to blame the ISP first rather than investigate, then blame where necessary.

It makes a nice change from reading a thread about how ntl have spent hours on the phone blaming people's kit for what are clearly to anyone with a clue or who knows how to use the tools ntl provide actually ntl issues though, doesn't it? :)

JoeBloggs
24-02-2006, 21:25
JoeBloggs, I am sure that the v3 can do 10meg as it has a 10/100 port going in & four 10/100 ports coming out. As for the v2, I only have the info that others have given about their routers in the other thread I pointed to. Did you take a look at it?

As Zeph pointed out, it shouldn't affect your ping times, but will affect your download speed, i.e. you're only getting about 5-6meg at the moment instead of max of almost 10meg. A direct connection from the modem to the PC will give you an idea of what your best speed could be. Hope this makes sense..... I'm no teacher:), more of a class:dunce:

ah i see, thanks for help
so it looks like i need to buy a V3 router.

While on the subject... do you think a network card would be better?
you see 1 of my pc's isnt used that much, only when my family goes on it... so really i just need a "wake on" sort of card. Is there a way?

Thanks alot

Nanook
26-02-2006, 16:50
Some bigger adults :D ;) answered you in your other thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=43627 :tu:

JoeBloggs
28-02-2006, 10:44
Some bigger adults :D ;) answered you in your other thread http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=43627 :tu:

Yup, Today I buy a router.

I just plugged ethernet straight into the slot and I am getting 1100Kb/s LOL!
dam i've been missing out.