PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD Pricing Confirmed-Pre Orders Now!

Neil
21-02-2006, 09:40
The Sky HD box will cost £299 and then there will be a monthly subscription of £9.99 for the HD channels.
It will be based on the Sky+ system and will need two satellite feeds for it to work. You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box and the current Sky+ box is not compatible.

More (http://ukhdtv.net/news/hdtv/exclusive:_sky_hd_pricing.html).

Bifta
21-02-2006, 11:30
Two feeds? Is that two dishes or a dual LNB? Regardless, it's still too bloody expensive, I think I can live with SD for a while yet.

Derek
21-02-2006, 11:32
Dual LNB.

From memory its about the same as a Sky+ subscription and box was when it first appeared.

I think I'll stick with the standard Sky+ for a while as well. Not really worth it for 10 channels or so.

TheBlueRaja
21-02-2006, 11:41
The Sky HD box will cost £299 and then there will be a monthly subscription of £9.99 for the HD channels. It will be based on the Sky+ system and will need two satellite feeds for it to work. You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box and the current Sky+ box is not compatible.

Ok, key questions remain unanswered, Firstly, as this box is also a SKy+ type box as well is there an additional 10 quid charge for Sky+ services, effectively meaning a 20 quid surcharge?

I presume this is not the case, if so then its the same as it is for the existing Sky+ service unless they charge you 9.99 even if you get premium channels.

Also, it states "You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box", surely this is wrong? Does that mean that everything that isnt HD (Sky One etc) you cant get?

Derek
21-02-2006, 11:47
I presume this is not the case, if so then its the same as it is for the existing Sky+ service unless they charge you 9.99 even if you get premium channels.

Also, it states "You will only be able to get the high definition channels on the box", surely this is wrong? Does that mean that everything that isnt HD (Sky One etc) you cant get?

I think they will drop the existing Sky+ charge as you are already getting Sports and Movies on the new package (well 1 of each) but knowing Sky they could well try that.

As for the other thing I assume its just poorly worded on the website. The new Box has scart sockets so I'd imagine it can output the normal channels OK.

Neil
21-02-2006, 12:17

No, it simply means that the HD channels can only be viewed using the new HD box (which will also show all the other SD channels)

If you want solely SD channels then stick with Sky/Sky +, but if you want 10 or so HD channels & all the others in normal SD then you need the new HD box.

HTH.

Acropolis
22-02-2006, 23:46
I would wait a while yet before thinking about getting HD, thomson are making the first batch of box's that are coming out so they will be about as much use as an NTL box, and also there are bound to be problems with the service to start off with.

I would wait 6 months then look at getting it installed, the problems should be sorted by then and there should be some better boxs around as well.

Graham M
23-02-2006, 02:43
I would wait a while yet before thinking about getting HD, thomson are making the first batch of box's that are coming out so they will be about as much use as an NTL box, and also there are bound to be problems with the service to start off with.

I would wait 6 months then look at getting it installed, the problems should be sorted by then and there should be some better boxs around as well.

The only problem ive had regarding Thomson Kit so far was the first LNB they gave me (which was Thomson) which was constantly giving me drops, etc. but they've replaced it with a different make now (not sure what) and it's fine

m0nk3y
02-03-2006, 11:46
http://ukhdtv.net/news/articles/sky_hd_fact_sheet.html

"The easiest way to do this is to advise them to buy a TV that has the “HO Ready” logo. That way your customer can be sure that it will work with Sky’s HO service. "

Sounds about right! :)

andygrif
02-03-2006, 19:06
Dual LNB.

Actually they fit a quad LNB, but if you just have one Sky+ box then they only run the two cables from it. They use a quad so that you can run another Sky+ box or another two standard boxes from the same dish.

http://ukhdtv.net/news/articles/sky_hd_fact_sheet.html

"The easiest way to do this is to advise them to buy a TV that has the “HO Ready” logo. That way your customer can be sure that it will work with Sky’s HO service. "

Sounds about right! :)

Sky's HO box? Is that one of the new adult channels, or perhaps it's a documentary on biology on Channel Five!!

On a more serious note, Sky have not announced the pricing to anyone yet, so even though UKHDTV.net might have guessed correctly, nothing is in stone yet - and won't be until near to, or at the launch at the end of this month.

Neil
24-03-2006, 08:21
Sky are now taking pre orders for HD @ http://www.sky.com/hd :)

£299 for the HD box + £10.00 per month for the HD subscription.

TheBlueRaja
24-03-2006, 10:00
Sky are now taking pre orders for HD @ http://www.sky.com/hd :)

£299 for the HD box + £10.00 per month for the HD subscription.

I would have descibed myself as the target audience of this service, i have an HD telly, im an existing SKY+ customer and i have premium channels.

299 quid for the box i could just about stomach, but i cant justify to myself the extra tenner a month for Sky HD, that would push the price of Sky with all the channels to 52 quid a month or around 600 pounds a year on top of the box.

Thats "almost" a 1 grand outlay in the first year for Sky HD.

Damn shame that but its just too much.

jtwn
24-03-2006, 10:17
£299?

FO.

monkey2468
24-03-2006, 12:12
I can understand charging more for a new STB (although it does seem steep), but charging £10 for the HD channels just seems pointless as you are already paying a subscription.

Neil
24-03-2006, 14:19
I can understand charging more for a new STB (although it does seem steep), but charging £10 for the HD channels just seems pointless as you are already paying a subscription.

But you're not currently paying for the latest state of the art Hi Definition channels are you though?

I can't see how the £10.00 charge is 'pointless' TBH. :shrug:

The 'point' is that if you want to watch HDTV, then you pay the money that it costs-whether it's 'worth' the outlay is always going to be subjective.

monkey2468
24-03-2006, 17:13
I see your point. For me the fact that you need to pay for a new STB would be enough to pay for the extra feature of viewing HD channels. Would you be able to view the BBC channels in HD without the extra £10 HD subscription?

Bob
24-03-2006, 19:58
According to DS, if you don't take two premium channels you will also have to pay for the Sky + subscription at £10 a month :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds30834.html

Neil
24-03-2006, 20:29
According to DS, if you don't take two premium channels you will also have to pay for the Sky + subscription at £10 a month :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds30834.html

Isn't that the same as Sky + now though?

Bob
24-03-2006, 20:55
Yeah. I was just pointing it out because someone asked about it a few posts back :)

TheBlueRaja
24-03-2006, 21:19
Yeah. I was just pointing it out because someone asked about it a few posts back :)

See the thing is, i was sure it was only ONE premium channel not two because i have Sky+ but only had SkySports for a while and i only paid 36 quid a month not 46.

So where did the two premium channel bit come from?

Bob
24-03-2006, 21:47
Well by the way Sky do their pricing on their site there is the options of Sports Mix, Movies Mix and Sports/Movie Mix. Taking the Movie Mix for example gives you two sets of premium channels because Sky Movies 1, 3, 5, 7 & 9 are separate from 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10. The Sports Mix gives you two sets of premium channels Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2.

I think that makes sense... :erm:

TheBlueRaja
24-03-2006, 22:25
Ah - that could be it then, i didnt think of it like that as i did have Skysport 1,2 and 3.

Nice one Bob, thats been bugging me! :tu: