PDA

View Full Version : Dial up number not been recognized today

Gee1
20-02-2006, 18:47
Dunno if anyone else has this problem? Im in London. I noticed it around 11am today, that the regular dial up number 1470 0808 990 9877 is suddenly "not been recognized". Luckily I kept the old number 1263 0800 519 0100,and that one gives me access to web, but not to email, downloads, nor MSM, cos this number only gives a private IP address 192.168....:mad:

So after waiting for them all day to perhaps do some work, I finally called them at 5pm to see whats goin on - only to be told that the guy jus came in so dunno if there is a problem so it might take up to a few days to sort the problem! How difficult can it be!???:mad: They gave me the alternative dial up number, which is the old one I was already using! I told them that Im not getting the full access with it, but he said its the only number. Not happy!

So, anyone has the same problem today? I would assume that anyone using this number would get the same issue? I spoke to BT, they are saying this is not their number therefore unable to help.

Paul K
20-02-2006, 18:52
BT won't be able to help for the simple reason that it is NTLs number and nothing to do with the BT network. Sorry about that. If it was a fault on the network causing it then they would be able to offer advice but it would still be down to NTL to give you an alternative access number.
Welcome to the forum by the way, hopefully someone here will be able to offer advice soon.

Marge
20-02-2006, 18:52
Are you an ntl freedom customer ???

Paul K
20-02-2006, 18:55
Are you an ntl freedom customer ???
There ya go, a helpful post from someone that can offer a lot of useful info ;)

Gee1
20-02-2006, 19:04
Yes, Im NTL Freedom customer, I also connect to NTL via BT line, the old deal they dont do anymore.

(PS: Thank you so much both for answering so quickly, I barely went to the kitchen and got 3 replies, you dudes are quick! :D)

injuneer
21-02-2006, 09:13
Having trouble in the Croydon area this morning, the 0808 990 9877 number is going to Engaged Tone. It was OK yesterday evening. Nothing on the service status board. Last time this happened it took them 3 days to sort it out. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 ----------

Actually I seem to recall that last time this happened the problem was within the Bt network. They had removed the number translations from their exchanges but i suspect they had a piece of paper from Ntl telling them to do so! :dunce:

Gee1
21-02-2006, 10:29
Well, its been now 24hrs and problem is still the same: "The number you called has not been recognized" message!

3 days :? Thats unacceptable, and simply pathetic! How stupid are their people to cancell the number with BT?

Im calling them now again.

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

OMG, what a phone convo this was. I called their support number and spoke to some incapable Methew, who after repeating my home number 10 times, and possibly 11, he STILL didnt get the number right! He kept saying "at the moment I cant find you on the system" He refused to pass me to the team leader or manager and wasted 5 min of my money! I eventually got so ****ed off when he after the 11th time he again repeated my number incorrectly that I had to put the phone down and called them again in hope of getting someone with a lil bit more brain!

Luckily I did, and I spoke to Nick who was able to find me through my simple postcode within 10 seconds! I asked him for an update, and he said that there is a problem in London, and they are swamped with calls, and they are working on a problem in conjunction with BT, as the number is not being authenticated on BT exchange for some reason.

Now Im calling for my tel calls refund.

injuneer
21-02-2006, 10:55
I contacted the freedom support team and they told me it's probably a problem with my phone line! DOH !! Where do they get these Monkeys? :dunce:

I have heard on the Jungle drums that the problem (of Ntl's own making) is more serious than what you have been told but I don't want to reveal my sources. :rolleyes:

Gee1
21-02-2006, 11:08
So I call CS, spoke to I believe a Team leader or similar, who now says I cant ask for refund til fault is sorted! (Yesterday they said a different story, that I can ask for refund once the fault is established to be on their side). Now I have to waste another phone call to CS to go through all this.I explained to him that I am not asking for refund on the service(yet), but I am asking for a refund on the phone calls. I needed to repeat this 3 times, cos he just kept going on about the fault etc. So finally I said I will have to put THIS 15 min phone conversation in refund request too, becuase it was fruitless and wasted me time. He said I couldnt. I said I can - cos your person yesterday gave me misleading info, therefore causing me a wasted phone call today.

They think they can mess me about!

Gee1
21-02-2006, 16:41
Well, the service is now back on! :) And it only took 2 days! :rolleyes:

I have no strenght to deal with NTL anymore today so will have to call them tomorrow for that refund again.

injuneer
21-02-2006, 17:18
My service is also working OK now. :)
I had heard that a large number of circuits were ceased in error in the London area.:rolleyes: