PDA

View Full Version : HW- What is your idea of an attractive town ?

LiveInFrance
19-02-2006, 14:38
Some ideas ? :D I need help with goods point of view .

Gareth
19-02-2006, 14:42
Not a town, but merely a village... however, Castle Combe has been voted as the prettiest village in England, and was also used for the filming of Dr Dolittle.

You can see why it's such a nice place to visit by looking at these photos... http://freespace.virgin.net/lf.mackelden/Castle_Combe/Pictures/COMBEPIC.HTM

LiveInFrance
19-02-2006, 14:49
hmm good one , i can pick some informations from this Page , thank you Gareth ^.^ .

punky
19-02-2006, 16:58
My idea of an attractive town is one outside of France ;) Just Kidding :)

Seriously, it has to be just outside somewhere a major city (but not in the middle of nowhere), with excellent transport links in and out of the city. Low crime, and plenty of good shops (big and small) locally. Bit of greenery is always nice.

Halcyon
19-02-2006, 17:25
I think my ideal town has to be one with good transport links but also one that isnt full of roads or buses in the town centre. There has to be a balance, with an area without transport so a nice pedestrianised town centre, but with good transport links on the exteriour.

tkiely
19-02-2006, 17:37
NOT Hatfield!

Gareth
19-02-2006, 17:56
I think my ideal town has to be one with good transport links but also one that isnt full of roads or buses in the town centre. There has to be a balance, with an area without transport so a nice pedestrianised town centre, but with good transport links on the exteriour.Montpellier city centre is almost like this... they're expanding the tramway to cover an even larger part of the city. More info here (http://www.urbantransport-technology.com/projects/montpellier/). It won't be Punky's idea of a nice place though ;)

Ramrod
19-02-2006, 19:32
Melbourne was voted the best city to live in. So that might be a good place to start your research......

Tuftus
19-02-2006, 19:38
NOT Milton Keynes.

I work there and when I started there it took me 2 weeks to find the same ATM because every place literally looks the same. Too many roundabouts (shafts your tyres and brakes way too soon) and the concrete cows are just lame.

Not attractive in my book.

But then I was brought up in a country village.

My 2 pence.

Maggy
19-02-2006, 19:40
Are we doing someone's half term homework--AGAIN!At the last minute...AGAIN!

:D

Stuart
19-02-2006, 20:00
Looks like it, Miss..

spiderplant
19-02-2006, 20:07
S'funny - I was going to suggest Milton Keynes. I really like it.

Melbourne is good for cake shops, but not very attractive. I vote for Vancouver. (And this page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4306936.stm) agrees)

(Ah - I was wondering what "HW" meant)

Halcyon
19-02-2006, 22:19
An attractive town has its historical streets kept intact, has a mixture of modern and historical buildings, and is a town that is clean and tidy.
I've seen some places covered in litter and that put's me right off.

Bob
20-02-2006, 16:48
An attractive town has its historical streets kept intact, has a mixture of modern and historical buildings, and is a town that is clean and tidy.

I agree and thats why York gets my vote :)

Stuart
20-02-2006, 18:43
Depends what I want from a town. I think the prettiest town I know of is Greenwich (well, the Maritime part of it anyway). I also think Bude in Cornwall is quite pretty (although that's more a village than a town).

As for why, Well, I find why I think is town is attractive depends on what I want from it. If I happen to want to go shopping for instance, I find Croydon attractive (despite Croydon containing some of the worst examples of 50s & 60s buildings and being quite ugly) as it has the best shopping centre in the area.

In terms of recreation, well, Greenwich is attractive as it has excellent tourist facilities and an excellent night life.

Tuftus
20-02-2006, 19:59
I must admit, having thought about this, my fiance and i really enjoyed Dartmouth when we went on holiday that way last year.

Very relaxing and scenic, and you can get a nice seat in the harbour and watch the car ferries over the river dart whilst eating a damn nice pasty whist sipping a pint.

Halcyon
20-02-2006, 20:38
I have to say that some small villages in Wales are just wonderful. Great countryside, mountains, and the sea near by too.

Ramrod
20-02-2006, 21:22
Depends what I want from a town. I think the prettiest town I know of is Greenwich (well, the Maritime part of it anyway). .........

In terms of recreation, well, Greenwich is attractive as it has excellent tourist facilities and an excellent night life.Sounds like you are just down the road from me :waving:

Angua
20-02-2006, 23:08
What you are describing is my home town :D trouble is no decent web references to it (we like to keep it secret) :rofl:

jtwn
21-02-2006, 02:23
Grimsby.

Of course I'm joking :D

Stuart
21-02-2006, 09:06
I'll see your "Grimsby" (a well named town if ever there was one) and raise you one "Crewe".

Tuftus
21-02-2006, 18:09
I'll see your "Grimsby" (a well named town if ever there was one) and raise you one "Crewe".

Been there once, didn't like it, and that was just the train station...

timewarrior2001
21-02-2006, 19:18
Billingham, Stockton on Tees, Middlebrough, Thornaby, Yarm, Hartlepool.

Just take the fecking chavs and scrotes out will you?

Stuart
21-02-2006, 20:10

Been there once, didn't like it, and that was just the train station...

I have a friend who was born in Crewe. Apparently, the train station, despite being a dump is easily the best part of town.

She lives in London now.