PDA

View Full Version : phone off for a week now

chocky909
18-02-2006, 15:37
This story starts with TV but turns to phone at the end so bear with me;)

I've had problems with the phone and the TV since I had them installed in August 2005. The phone line kept going dead for hours at a time. But about 8 weeks ago the TV really started to stutter on certain channels and froze up completely. Resetting the STB made no difference. NTL sent an engineer round, he said it was a weak signal, seemed to fix it. But over the next few days I noticed that it was the same but different. ie other channels with same problems. Told NTL again, a week later, engineer came round, same guy, says the signal is low again - obviously is stumped by what the problem is. Says he noticed that the cable from the CAB at the end of the street to the OMNI at the front of the house is old and suggests booking it to get it relaid. I say OK. NOTE - The engineer is NOT convinced this is the problem.

The installation guys arrive a week later (9th Feb) to 'repull' the cable outside my house (well, at least once I told them that was what they were to do) - I leave them to it and an hour later they tell me they can't do it. Apparently the CAB is inaccessable due to a building site nearby. They say that someone should be in touch. After 3 days with no contact, I ring CS again and have to explain to them what the problems is again. Engineers arrive again, a week later (15th Feb). Again, they aren't sure what they are there to do, but after explaining what they are to do, they set about it. Checking on them half an hour later I find they are gone, :disturbd: having done nothing.

Maybe I should mention that my phone line went dead on the 11th of Feb. I reported this to CS, via payphone - no way am I phoning on my mobile. 0800 numbers cost per minute you know! Anyway I reported this to CS and because there was an installion team arriving on Wednesday 15th Feb they said wait and see if that fixes it. When they buggered off with no word, I angrily rang CS again. Apparently, there was no evidence of it ever being scheduled for the 15th and it was now booked for today (Sat 18th) I made a complaint and they said that an 'Installation Manager' would be in touch (on my mobile) to explain - never happened. I couldn't believe that it had been rebooked without my knowledge - If I hadn't rang them I would never have found out!

Anyway, CS are still saying that they won't send an engineer to look at my phone line because there is an installation booked. Massively annoying not having a phone line, especially when there are problems regarding this repull.

Today is the 18th, and about two hours ago the third installers (different guys again) Again they weren't sure what they were doing :mad:, after an hour they admit they can't do the work. They say the CAB is damaged due to the building work nearby. They say that the 'construction' department will have to be called out before this 'repull' can be done. He says the earliest this can be done is the 9th April :p:.

So at the moment, NTL CS refuse to send out an engineer to look at my phone line because there is installation work to be done, and the installation work can't be done because of these problems with the CAB. And I'm supposed to organise all this without a working phoneline.:confused:

OH BTW did I mention that I have had the Flu for the last week? Every time I have to walk the mile and a half to the nearest phone box, then stand for 30 minutes waiting for someone to speak to, only to get passed to a different department (never directly of course, and I always have to explain everything again).

Right now, I can't bring myself to go to the payphone and I thought I'd write this instead.

I've taken nearly a whole week off, in total from work to let these engineers do their thing.

:confused: What now?

btw. My broadband has been fine all through this

UncleBooBoo
18-02-2006, 15:43
use a voip service if your broadband is ok, go to www.voipfone.co.uk (http://www.voipfone.co.uk) and sign up for free and you can call 0800 numbers for free from your pc as long as you have speakers and a mic!

Saves you a walk to the call box.

Somebody will be along who may be able to help you soon though.

Mick
18-02-2006, 15:46
Hi Chocky,

If you want me to send this issue to our ntl contacts, please send me a private message with some details. If you can provide me an e-mail address that you wish to be contacted on as well (Please provide this in the Private message) due to you not being available on the phone, ntl can use e-mail to communicate with you. Thanks. :)

chocky909
18-02-2006, 15:55
thanks welsh - never thought of that - i'll give it a go.

mick, pm'd you

chocky909
11-03-2006, 21:57
All fixed now.

Thanks Mick.

Thanks Jill.

Thanks Melanie.