PDA

View Full Version : Just some advice for those on 10MB

Andrewcrawford23
17-02-2006, 11:49
Ok i have been having speed problem since end of november i have been getting average speeds of 200kb/sec so yesterday i went hell with it i am fed up them blaming me and my comptuer i had just got it restored from a master image cd so there was no way there was any spyware or so on, so i phoned them and after 90 minutes on teh phone to them i have final got it sorted and they changed the upstrea, channel. my suggestion is to just stick you foot down because otehrwise there goign to rape oyu and blame oyu rather fix the problem i also got everything refunded as i had been gettign the service of a 2mb connection not 10mb so anyone else with problems good luck dnt stand for them blamign oyu, oh and surpislly sicne they done some tweaks i am not gettign 1.6mb/sec downlaod speeds and 49kb/sec upload

Ignition
18-02-2006, 13:31
Does that come in English with grammar and capitalisation?

From the 10Mbit servie you should be expecting 1.1 - 1.2MB/s tops downstream, not 1.6MB as the indamous 'humey' insisted on claiming he was getting.

Lots of issues here with people getting grief from tech support not wanting to admit their capacity issues.

They are unlikely to be able to magically fix things just like that, you'll probably find your service goes pearshaped again at peak times ;)

Andrewcrawford23
18-02-2006, 14:44
no my main point is if you let the tech support blame it on yoru comptuer you will never get i fixed, yes i know the max speed should be 1.1-1.2 but i have managed to get 1.6 at times not susbatainly i grant but i have had it say it for a while and the speeds of 1-1.2mb i am getting durign peak time

but as i say my main point was dnt let tech support blame oyu stand up to them, and when they say there only suppose to be max of 10 tcp/ip connectiosn there talking mince as the extras one i have that they claimed where spyware a software enginner checked and told me it is fact internal loopbakc and considering it was a fresh new comptuer never connect to the internet until then i cnt see how it have spyware

Ignition
19-02-2006, 08:49
no my main point is if you let the tech support blame it on yoru comptuer you will never get i fixed, yes i know the max speed should be 1.1-1.2 but i have managed to get 1.6 at times not susbatainly i grant but i have had it say it for a while and the speeds of 1-1.2mb i am getting durign peak time

but as i say my main point was dnt let tech support blame oyu stand up to them, and when they say there only suppose to be max of 10 tcp/ip connectiosn there talking mince as the extras one i have that they claimed where spyware a software enginner checked and told me it is fact internal loopbakc and considering it was a fresh new comptuer never connect to the internet until then i cnt see how it have spyware

Ah rumour and misinformation.

XP Service Pack 2 did put a limit of 10 half open connections onto Windows. This was increased to 50 in a recent Windows patch. It's perfectly possible to have way more fully open connections than this open though.

Tech support in nearly every ISP in the world ever will happily blame you as a lot of the time it is the customer's PC at fault. Sadly they get it wrong some times.

nick.king
20-02-2006, 00:20
Ah rumour and misinformation.

XP Service Pack 2 did put a limit of 10 half open connections onto Windows. This was increased to 50 in a recent Windows patch. It's perfectly possible to have way more fully open connections than this open though.

Tech support in nearly every ISP in the world ever will happily blame you as a lot of the time it is the customer's PC at fault. Sadly they get it wrong some times.

This problem you mention with connections in XP SP2 do you happen to know if this is a problem with XP x64?

Thanks.

TheHardCoder
11-03-2006, 17:07
Phoned Telewest and they switched my Surfboard SB3100 next day. Unfortunately to a Webstar v1, so it didn't improve. Next day they replaced outside cabling (which was too old anyway) and the day after that, replaced the modem with the Motorola 5101E after some channel hopping with their tech support. Their call out engineers don't seem to be aware of any potential v1/v2 issues with the Webstar. Must hand it to them tho, they're fast and turn up on time, in London anyway. Impressive.

Result is an easy 1.2MB/s from gamefiles.blueyonder on a single download connection and I've also seen a sustained 12Mb/s for a while :). Hope that lasts. However, plug in my Netgear RP114 router and life drops down to about 6Mbps. Not good for a router spec'ed at 100Mb.

So generally, this worked partly because
(1) the outside cabling is spec'ed for broadband and has good readings
(2) the modem isn't an SB3100 or Webstar v1
(3) machine plugged directly into modem, not through an (oldish) router
(4) they did some channel hopping (may not have had any effect)