PDA

View Full Version : Very Sore Eyeball

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 00:23
I have had a sore eyeball for about a week now, thought it was eyestrain or it got knocked in the night but it aint getting better.

It is now really bloodshot, and starting to affect my vision.

Going to the doctors tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what this could be to give me a 'heads up'?

piccy attached...

Chris W
17-02-2006, 00:26
could be an infection....

any pus/ stickiness when you wake up?

Could also be a nasty sty, is there a red spot like ... erm... spot... anywhere on/ inside your top/ bottom eyelids?

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 00:31
could be an infection....

any pus/ stickiness when you wake up?

Could also be a nasty sty, is there a red spot like ... erm... spot... anywhere on/ inside your top/ bottom eyelids?

No more stickyness than normal in the mornings, my mrs nor I could see any spots either...

Just hope the quack does not want to scoop it out with a spoon!!!

:Yikes:

marky
17-02-2006, 00:48
Looks like a welding flash :Yikes: they hurt.
I bet you got a bit of something in it, and you have been rubbing.;)

danielf
17-02-2006, 02:02
First of all: good move to go and see the quack.

Second: Top right of that pic (eyelid) does suggest you had a knock on it. Have you been on a bender lately :D

Third, are you allergic to anything?

Fourth: See 1st.

Enuff
17-02-2006, 03:17
wow! looks like a road map from autoroute. hope it's ok :tu:

LSainsbury
17-02-2006, 11:09
Thanks for putting me off my breakfast! :-)

Hope it's better soon!

Ramrod
17-02-2006, 11:29
Thats got my eyes watering :D

Why don't you pop over to your nearest ophthalmic optician? They are the eye experts after all.....

Salu
17-02-2006, 11:57
I think I've come across this too late to be of help but let us know how you got on.

As always, I would need more detail before making a web diagnosis....:)

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 18:23
Thanks for all the advice!

Update - The Nurse (without asking me to even take my glasses off) said that it looked a bit red and thought it may be a form of Conjunctivitis.

She prescribed me Chloramphenicol Eye Drops 0.5% four times a day.

Does that sound right to you Salu?

MadGamer
17-02-2006, 18:26

Update - The Nurse (without asking me to even take my glasses off) said that it looked a bit red and thought it may be a form of Conjunctivitis.

Does that sound right to you Salu? Im no medical expert but my eye looked like yours did several times in the past and it turned out to be Conjunctivitis, does it feel runny at all, do you get blurred vision?

ikthius
17-02-2006, 18:27
sounds like a thourough eye exam from the nurse....... :dozey:

ik

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 18:34
Im no medical expert but my eye looked like yours did several times in the past and it turned out to be Conjunctivitis, does it feel runny at all, do you get blurred vision?

It has got a bit runny today and my vision has been a bit blurred at times.

sounds like a thourough eye exam from the nurse.......

ik

That was what I thought, she did however advise me to see an optician... :rolleyes:

etccarmageddon
17-02-2006, 18:41
when you go to the chemists before handing in your presciption ask if they sell "Chloramphenicol Eye Drops" and how much it is - no doubt they will and it is likely to be cheaper than the £5 presciption price.

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 18:50
when you go to the chemists before handing in your presciption ask if they sell "Chloramphenicol Eye Drops" and how much it is - no doubt they will and it is likely to be cheaper than the £5 presciption price.

Thanks for that, will do!!!

:)

herbert clinker
17-02-2006, 18:53
thats what comes of peeping through keyholes.

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 19:01
thats what comes of peeping through keyholes.

Dayum!

Busted!

;) :disturbd:

marky
17-02-2006, 19:40
Dayum!

Busted!

;) :disturbd:
http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/1.gif :D :D :D :D

Chimaera
17-02-2006, 20:37
Just in case there's a next time - I think you can buy chloramphonicol eye drops over the counter now - although it's best to get a professional opinion too.
http://www.optrexeyes.com/main.asp?nid=101

bonzoe
17-02-2006, 20:42
Hope the drops cure it.

I had something similar, red eye etc and got so bad that any change in lightsource was excruciatingly painful. Was more serious than conjunctivitis (which several Drs said it was initially!) and needed rapid attention of hospital eye dept, so bear that in mind if it doesn't clear up quickly!

timewarrior2001
17-02-2006, 20:57
I have had a sore eyeball for about a week now, thought it was eyestrain or it got knocked in the night but it aint getting better.

It is now really bloodshot, and starting to affect my vision.

Going to the doctors tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what this could be to give me a 'heads up'?

piccy attached...

ARRRGGHHHHHH PINKEYE

iain_herts
17-02-2006, 21:05
bonzoe i agree with u there last yr i had trouble with my eyes and told the doc i think it could be uv light from work but he didnt listen and said it was conjitvitse.

well after that for about 5 weeks it was comeing and going so went straight down A&E goes seen with in 10 min and was sent straight down to north mid which has a eye clinic there he gave me 2 eye drops 1 for 8 weeks and the other for 6 both 4 times a day and also gave me a note to give to work. since then i have to wear high uv protection glasses for work now.

so if it carrys on get ur self down to A&E

Tuftus
17-02-2006, 21:41
bonzoe i agree with u there last yr i had trouble with my eyes and told the doc i think it could be uv light from work but he didnt listen and said it was conjitvitse.

well after that for about 5 weeks it was comeing and going so went straight down A&E goes seen with in 10 min and was sent straight down to north mid which has a eye clinic there he gave me 2 eye drops 1 for 8 weeks and the other for 6 both 4 times a day and also gave me a note to give to work. since then i have to wear high uv protection glasses for work now.

so if it carrys on get ur self down to A&E

Hmmm, I was looking in to Conjunctivitis and is sounds like I should feel like I have sand in my eye which i do not.

However it is painfull when I go cross eyed, to light a smoke for example, is that like what you had?

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

ARRRGGHHHHHH PINKEYE

Gross hey?

:(

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Hope the drops cure it.

I had something similar, red eye etc and got so bad that any change in lightsource was excruciatingly painful. Was more serious than conjunctivitis (which several Drs said it was initially!) and needed rapid attention of hospital eye dept, so bear that in mind if it doesn't clear up quickly!

It is very sensitive to bright light...

Nursey did not ask me that one.

Chris
17-02-2006, 21:47

Does that sound right to you Salu?

I have had that, and the same treatment too. It can be quite unpleasant. In my case, I had blephritis, an infection of the eyelid, which swelled, thus rubbing and irritating the eyeball and causing conjunctivitis. (at least I think that's what the doc said, it was some years ago).

The bad news is, this infection can be a right bugger to nail completely. You may find that it recurs every three or four months for a year or so before finally going away (which is what happened to me :( ).

iain_herts
17-02-2006, 21:54
it was painfull if i had my eyes open for any lenth of time they would also water up alot which made it painfull. wen it first happened it was 3am and it took me nearly 30min to be able to open my eyes as the pain was that bad.

i would say give it a couple of days and if it feels it not getting better then goto A&E your eyes are very important look after them DO NOT PUT IT OFF

wen they tested my eyes i had to read a book which had different colour dots on each page and on each page there was ment to be a number he also looked into them aswell

Salu
17-02-2006, 23:10
If it were conjunctivitis I would have expected it to have transferred over to the other eye after a week and be itchy and have a discharge. Bacterial infections tend to have a discharge of pus whereas viral infections tend to be watery.

I would present yourself down to your local optometrist tomorrow who I'm sure will be glad to see you. They will have a look through a slit lamp. You may for example have a corneal abrasion wheich you often can't see with the naked eye.

As always I would need to get some more detail from you in order to diagnose...

In the meantime can you tell me......?

Do you have any allergies?
Do you have dry eyes now or ever?
How is the other eye?
Do you wear contact lenses?
Do you spend a long time on computers? ;)
Are you seeing any halos around lights?
How did you get that bruising around the lateral edge?
How exactly is it affecting your vision?
Is it sore when you press it through the eye lid?
Have you got a spoon? :)

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

PS. Don't go to A&E with this. It's not appropriate.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Chloramphenicol has recently been made available over the counter but only if the pharmacist feels it is appropriate. It costs around the same as a prescription btw....

MadGamer
17-02-2006, 23:29
Hope the drops cure it.

I had something similar, red eye etc and got so bad that any change in lightsource was excruciatingly painful. Was more serious than conjunctivitis (which several Drs said it was initially!) and needed rapid attention of hospital eye dept, so bear that in mind if it doesn't clear up quickly! my infection got so bad at one time, that when i went to the optician she diagnosed me as having a herpes olsour, which means that the back of my eye was cloudy, and it affected my vision so badly that i had to keep having checkups regularly.

Maggy
18-02-2006, 00:19
Eye infections are the pits...After a year of continual problems one after the other with allergies due to the cleansers and conjunctavitus of differing sorts when I tried contacts, I gave up, particularly when I becam pregnant and my hormonal changes seemed to affect my vision with the contacts.One sort of conjunctavitus involved me feeling tiny pin *****s on the insides of my eyelids whenever I closed my eyes.I hardly slept for 48 hours.:(

Frankly if anyone threatened torture to do with my eyes I'd let them know everything all at once.:disturbd:

The swear filter really is ridiculous you know...:rolleyes:

Tuftus
18-02-2006, 12:09
If it were conjunctivitis I would have expected it to have transferred over to the other eye after a week and be itchy and have a discharge. Bacterial infections tend to have a discharge of pus whereas viral infections tend to be watery.

I would present yourself down to your local optometrist tomorrow who I'm sure will be glad to see you. They will have a look through a slit lamp. You may for example have a corneal abrasion wheich you often can't see with the naked eye.

As always I would need to get some more detail from you in order to diagnose...

In the meantime can you tell me......?

Do you have any allergies?
Do you have dry eyes now or ever?
How is the other eye?
Do you wear contact lenses?
Do you spend a long time on computers? ;)
Are you seeing any halos around lights?
How did you get that bruising around the lateral edge?
How exactly is it affecting your vision?
Is it sore when you press it through the eye lid?
Have you got a spoon? :)

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

Chloramphenicol has recently been made available over the counter but only if the pharmacist feels it is appropriate. It costs around the same as a prescription btw....

Thanks again for all the advice, Salu, here are your answers...

Do you have any allergies? - No
Do you have dry eyes now or ever? - No
How is the other eye? - Starting to get a bit itchy, but not painful.
Do you wear contact lenses? - No
Do you spend a long time on computers? - Yes
Are you seeing any halos around lights? - No
How did you get that bruising around the lateral edge? - I think it was just me pulling the skin that made it look like a bruise.
How exactly is it affecting your vision? - It gets a bit blurry.
Is it sore when you press it through the eye lid? - Yes.
Have you got a spoon? - They are hidden! :disturbd:

I will see if I can see an optician whilst down town getting the eye drops.

Salu
18-02-2006, 18:36
Just wondering how you got on?

In the absence of being able to see your eyes and no slit lamp etc etc it would be churlish of me to make a diagnosis but staring at PCs a lot can dry your eye as you don't blink as often which in turn can lead to the epithelium of the conjunctiva (the layer that covers the eye and lids) more susceptible to irritation and damage. There may be some infection in there or it could be chronic dryness or allergic irritation….It could of course be something more complex like an anterior uveitis which is why your medical history is important but its more likely to be something simple.

I'd be interested in what the optometrist says....in the meantime resting from the PC would be a good idea. Optrex eye wash etc…

bonzoe
18-02-2006, 19:45

[

Why? Doc at hospital told me to report to A&E any time the condition returns. The duty eye doc will be called to look at it.

Tuftus
18-02-2006, 19:48
Just wondering how you got on?

In the absence of being able to see your eyes and no slit lamp etc etc it would be churlish of me to make a diagnosis but staring at PCs a lot can dry your eye as you don't blink as often which in turn can lead to the epithelium of the conjunctiva (the layer that covers the eye and lids) more susceptible to irritation and damage. There may be some infection in there or it could be chronic dryness or allergic irritationââ ¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦.It could of course be something more complex like an anterior uveitis which is why your medical history is important but its more likely to be something simple.

I'd be interested in what the optometrist says....in the meantime resting from the PC would be a good idea. Optrex eye wash etcââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦

No worries, I went and got the Optrex Infected Eye drops and they actually feel loads better already, just need to keep taking them for 5 days.

Is it normal to have a foul taste in the back of ones throat a few minutes after taking the drops though? :confused:

Chris
18-02-2006, 19:52
Is it normal to have a foul taste in the back of ones throat a few minutes after taking the drops though? :confused:

You mean you've never seen that Japanese bloke drinking milk and then 'crying' it out his eyes on Tarrant on TV? :erm: :D

It's all connected, it can definitely get into your throat from your eyes.

Tuftus
18-02-2006, 19:56
Ahhh, I see.

If you will excuse the pun...

:D

budwieser
19-02-2006, 17:03
Looks like `Arc eye` You have`nt been watching anybody Mig Welding have you?

Tuftus
19-02-2006, 17:17

I have not seen, let alone use a mig welder for years...

Was never any good at it anyway, alwasy looked like pidgeon droppings :p:

budwieser
19-02-2006, 17:23
I have not seen, let alone use a mig welder for years...

Was never any good at it anyway, alwasy looked like pidgeon droppings :p:

Strange really because two of the blokes i work with have both had eye infections last week! One had conjunctivitus and the other just had an infection.

marky
19-02-2006, 17:26
Funny you should say that http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=689820&postcount=4
But it does doesnt it.

budwieser
19-02-2006, 17:28
Funny you should say that http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=689820&postcount=4
But it does doesnt it.
Sure does, I had it just the once.:erm:
Never again.

marky
19-02-2006, 17:31
Sandpaper eyes, its horrible :Yikes:

Salu
19-02-2006, 22:36
Why? Doc at hospital told me to report to A&E any time the condition returns. The duty eye doc will be called to look at it.

Because your condition was more serious than Tuftus' is and you have an invitation. He is not experiencing pain on looking at light (photophoebia) for eg and although I accept his condition may turn out to be more serious (as he has not been seen by a Dr, as yet), it's not likely to be, from what I have seen here. A quarter of the population of Leeds goes through A&E every year. That's 200,000 patients.....we need to exercise some logical thinking here guys....:)

A&E is for accidents or emergencies and although the message to "turn up if in doubt" still stands it seems to have got through a little too much to people. You would not believe the things that I have dealt with. Simple headaches but not tried paracetamol, itchy bottoms for a month, "sore finger for the past year; just popped in cause I thought about it (Sunday afternoon)", "hair cut too short yesterday....now feels depressed", "burnt hair with hairdryer 4 days ago, is it safe Dr?"......I could go on.....:rolleyes:

marky
19-02-2006, 23:02
With the greatest of respect Salu,
Most of us phone the local surgery with minor things, and they advise to go to A&E because they have no appointments.
Secreterys playing doctor i suppose :shrug:

Kneebs
19-02-2006, 23:42

I've recently had my eyes lasered, and one of the eye drops i was taking was flurometholene (sp?) I'd often get a foul taste in the back of my throat also...... Not pleasant :sick:

I'd reccommend taking a drink to bed if you take them last thing at night.... :)

Salu
20-02-2006, 10:14
With the greatest of respect Salu,
Most of us phone the local surgery with minor things, and they advise to go to A&E because they have no appointments.
Secreterys playing doctor i suppose :shrug:

I know they do and not just them. A&E has become, over the years, the front door of the hospital. That is not it's primary purpose. Most of the "trolley waits" are patients with already diagnosed conditions who unfortunately have worsened. They should be able to have direct access onto the ward and not have to wait in a holding area ie A&E. However it's much more complex than this.....The general public should bear in mind that A&Es are absolutely full to capacity and then some. Noone wants to turn anybody away but we really should exercise some common sense and most do of course. Part of the problem is education. Where are you supposed to go when you have X ?? GP, Dentist, A&E, Minor injuries centres, NHS direct etc etc. Most people tend to think. GP if it needs sorting in the next few days or A&E if it need more urgent attention. However, that is overly simple...

Its Fluorometholone btw.....a steroid for reducing inflammation post op.