PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to have a heart attack?

Chris W
14-02-2006, 21:52
One for our CF medics....

All day today I have had a strange pain in my chest, just at the bottom of my heart. It's a kind of stabbing/ aching pain, and it has been there all day. It doesn't feel like heartburn, and eating/ drinking/ smoking don't make any difference to it, nor does deep or shallow breathing.

I've tried nhs direct, and the online diagnosis told me I may be having a heart attack.... don't think that's right somehow! anyone give me any idea what is going on??

punky
14-02-2006, 21:54
Is the pain throbbing, either in time with your pulse, or out of time? Or just continuous?

Just because i'd be interested to know, because I've had throbbing on-and-off for ages, and I don't seem to be any worse off. I just put it down to a stitch in my chest or trapped something

LemonyBrainAid
14-02-2006, 21:54
It's a kind of stabbing/

Well.. have you been stabbed in that region recently?

ikthius
14-02-2006, 21:55
I don't think your intercostal muscles are sore either, as they should get sore as you breath in deeply.

so.

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR ASAP

why take the risk

ik

Chris W
14-02-2006, 21:58
Is the pain throbbing, either in time with your pulse, or out of time? Or just continuous?

Just because i'd be interested to know, because I've had throbbing on-and-off for ages, and I don't seem to be any worse off. I just put it down to a stitch in my chest or trapped something

It's just continous....

Marge
14-02-2006, 21:59
Back in my surgery days we occasionally had people who thought they'd had indigestion when in fact it had been a mild heart attack :erm:

Any other symptoms, short of breath, sweating, any other pains anywhere (down your left arm at all) ??

Chris W
14-02-2006, 22:00

not that i know of!

/checks for flesh wounds

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

I don't think your intercostal muscles are sore either, as they should get sore as you breath in deeply.

so.

GO TO YOUR DOCTOR ASAP

why take the risk

ik

pah. Cos i'll catch more sitting in the waiting room than i had when i went in.

Chris W
14-02-2006, 22:01
Back in my surgery days we occasionally had people who thought they'd had indigestion when in fact it had been a mild heart attack :erm:

Any other symptoms, short of breath, sweating, any other pains anywhere (down your left arm at all) ??

nope, nope and nope!

jellybaby
14-02-2006, 22:01
If its only been today (Feb 14) maybe its a lack of valentine cards ?????

But seriously...GO TO THE DOCTORS ASAP

punky
14-02-2006, 22:02
It's just continous....

Well (and I know i'm not in best position to say this after my last post) but they say you should go to hospital if you get any pain in your chest.

It could be Angina...

Chris W
14-02-2006, 22:05
If its only been today (Feb 14) maybe its a lack of valentine cards ?????

:LOL: I was actually going to say in my original post that it wasn't anything to do with valentines day!

although i didn't get any cards... :mis: but i did get a Hom and promise that someone is going to come round and "test" my new flat on friday night.....

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Well (and I know i'm not in best position to say this after my last post) but they say you should go to hospital if you get any pain in your chest.

It could be Angina...

I'll go to hospital when you do then yeh?! :p:

maybe a bottle of bud will help.....

Marge
14-02-2006, 22:09
I've had throbbing on-and-off for ages

Give me a ring if you need some help with that oops:

Chris, It could possibly be indigestion cos that can be bloody painful, try sucking some mints or make yourself some mint tea or if all else fails go for the beer and you'll be too drunk to care :drunk:

Chris W
14-02-2006, 22:11
Give me a ring if you need some help with that oops:

Chris, It could possibly be indigestion cos that can be bloody painful, try sucking some mints or make yourself some mint tea or if all else fails go for the beer and you'll be too drunk to care :drunk:

i've got a plate of chicken nuggets, some banoffee ice cream and a bottle of bud... you think that will do the trick?? :p:

ikthius
14-02-2006, 22:12
eat a packet of rennie then after 20 mins if its still sore, go to a doc, they are there to help, it may be nothing but again why take the chance, you might not be able to test your flat on friday.

I am not saying it is serious, but just get it checked.

ik

EBO48
14-02-2006, 22:13
ChrisW go to get yourself checked out I thought I had indigestion but it turned out to be a heart attack I was extremely lucky I had a "nagging wife" she saved my life "according to the doctors"

punky
14-02-2006, 22:14
I'll go to hospital when you do then yeh?! :p:

:PP:

It doesn't normally last long enough for me to get bothered about. I have thought about it, but by the time i'd get there and sorted it, it would have long stopped, making it hard to diagnose.

EBO48
14-02-2006, 22:18
:PP:

It doesn't normally last long enough for me to get bothered about. I have thought about it, but by the time i'd get there and sorted it, it would have long stopped, making it hard to diagnose.

Not So the ECG can tell Iwas told that the ECG can tell if youve had a heart attack weeks ago

punky
14-02-2006, 22:24
Not So the ECG can tell Iwas told that the ECG can tell if youve had a heart attack weeks ago

Cheers for that, I never thought...

tick
14-02-2006, 22:26
Go to the doctor
as has been said before

danielf
14-02-2006, 22:26

The tell-tale sign is usually that the ECG is completely flat :erm: :jk:

Maggy
14-02-2006, 22:37
One for our CF medics....

All day today I have had a strange pain in my chest, just at the bottom of my heart. It's a kind of stabbing/ aching pain, and it has been there all day. It doesn't feel like heartburn, and eating/ drinking/ smoking don't make any difference to it, nor does deep or shallow breathing.

I've tried nhs direct, and the online diagnosis told me I may be having a heart attack.... don't think that's right somehow! anyone give me any idea what is going on??

If you still have the pain tomorrow see a doctor.

If it goes and stays away forget about it.

If it stops and comes back later see a doctor.

Mind severe indigestion feels like a heart attack with a pain going from front to back.But that isn't a symptom of a heart attack.

Damien
14-02-2006, 22:48
Doctors closed, Go to A&E

greencreeper
14-02-2006, 23:11
Cos i'll catch more sitting in the waiting room than i had when i went in.
Exactly. Typical male - slight twinge and that's it. Rabbit fever for certain. Where's the DIY Will kit :D

I get chest pain all the time - sometimes quite bad. Started when I was in my teens. The doc said it was the muscles (lot of them) that hold my chest together - sometimes spasm. Sitting on a chair all day long doesn't help - bad posture and all that.

Enuff
14-02-2006, 23:13
I had some nagging chest pains a while back now, I didnt wait, I went to A&E. As soon as I told them I was having chest pains they had me hooked up to the ECG within minutes... even tho there were others waiting to be seen with their injuries before me. Get yourself there, what have you got to lose? maybe your life if you dont go! :disturbd: you'll feel a lot better after they tell you that there's nothing to worry about.

greencreeper
14-02-2006, 23:20
IGet yourself there, what have you got to lose?
Possibly chest hair and dignity

Damien
14-02-2006, 23:32
I had some nagging chest pains a while back now, I didnt wait, I went to A&E. As soon as I told them I was having chest pains they had me hooked up to the ECG within minutes... even tho there were others waiting to be seen with their injuries before me. Get yourself there, what have you got to lose? maybe your life if you dont go! :disturbd: you'll feel a lot better after they tell you that there's nothing to worry about.

I have seen this is action. A&E do not mess about if someone has chest pains. In my hospital they have a special room connect to A&E and all chest pain people go in there

Halcyon
14-02-2006, 23:46
Whatever you do, dont let this go. Phone up NHS direct and explain to them and they will advise you on what to do if you are not wanting to go down to your doctors surgery.

you can phone them 24/7 on 0845 46 47

Good luck and hope it gets better soon.

nffc
15-02-2006, 00:11
It's a kind of stabbing/
Not funny mate. But I laughed anyway :LOL:

Chris - it's probably indigestion but obviously as has been stated better safe than sorry- NHS direct site errs on the side of caution for obvious reasons. That kind of pain could be symptomatic of heart attack though you'd probably have other symptoms too.

If it's indigestion something might make it go away, like antacids, heat, chucking up, things like that - obviously won't make much difference if it's a heart attack.

If you're worried get it looked at asap.

Paul
15-02-2006, 00:19
Could be a chest infection - I get this every now and then and went to the docs fearing the worst - it turned out to be an infection.

Angua
15-02-2006, 00:19
Do you have a family history of high colesterol?
Do you smoke?
Do you have a highly stressfull job?
Do you eat a diet full of high fat food or junk food?

If you answer yes to any one of these get to ED, however provided your details are true someone of your age is unlikely to be suffering a heart attack. As you are still on line you are also probably ok. Worth going to your GP tomorrow though just to put your mind at rest.

Keep well :tu:

Salu
15-02-2006, 10:07
I presume you are still with us Chris? :)

This is highly unlikely to be a heart attack but I agree that it should be checked out. A web diagnosis is impossible for this I'm afraid. I would need to listen to your chest and heart via a stethescope, feel your pulse and question you carefully by taking a full history. There are many things it could be but speculating over the web is pointless.

Don't worry about catching things in the waiting room you need to get your self down there. We don't bite you know...

NHS direct would not give you completion on this ailment. They would refer you on somewhere for assessment.

Mind severe indigestion feels like a heart attack with a pain going from front to back.But that isn't a symptom of a heart attack.

Inccidently, pain from front to back can be a sign of a heart attack or chest infection or aortic dissection or aneurysm or pericarditis etc etc....

Maggy
15-02-2006, 10:52
I presume you are still with us Chris? :)

This is highly unlikely to be a heart attack but I agree that it should be checked out. A web diagnosis is impossible for this I'm afraid. I would need to listen to your chest and heart via a stethescope, feel your pulse and question you carefully by taking a full history. There are many things it could be but speculating over the web is pointless.

Don't worry about catching things in the waiting room you need to get your self down there. We don't bite you know...

NHS direct would not give you completion on this ailment. They would refer you on somewhere for assessment.

Inccidently, pain from front to back can be a sign of a heart attack or chest infection or aortic dissection or aneurysm or pericarditis etc etc....

It is? well I stand corrected because I was led to believe otherwise.:shrug:

Salu
15-02-2006, 11:37
This is why you can't diagnose a heart attack over the web. The symptoms vary from people to people. Present in some and not in others. You can actually have "silent MIs" which are heart attacks without symptoms/pain. More often in the elderly than younger ones though...

Women tend to have more shoulder pain than classic indigestion/crushing central chest pain, whereas men have the reverse.

This is why medical assessment is crucial.

Maggy
15-02-2006, 15:50
Where is Chris W. I'm rather concerned now...:(

Derek
15-02-2006, 15:53

Maybe he's waiting to get through to NHS 24 ;)

I'm sure he'll be fine

Ramrod
15-02-2006, 15:53
GO TO YOUR DOCTOR ASAP

This is why medical assessment is crucial. :tu:

It could be so many things that you really should be fobbed off by an expert! :D

punky
15-02-2006, 16:54

Steady on... his lact activity in his profile was just over an hour ago.

UncleBooBoo
15-02-2006, 17:09
I remember I had a sim situation just before christmas, I had a stabing pain in my chest for most of the day around the bottom left of my hart, I also had pain down my left arm which led to a sort of a dead arm. (hard to explain) I was not sweating but I was not well that day I can tell you! If I had been older I would have gone to A&E but as im only 29 the chance of a hart attack is very low.

Damien
15-02-2006, 17:10
I remember I had a sim situation just before christmas, I had a stabing pain in my chest for most of the day around the bottom left of my hart, I also had pain down my left arm which led to a sort of a dead arm. (hard to explain) I was not sweating but I was not well that day I can tell you! If I had been older I would have gone to A&E but as im only 29 the chance of a hart attack is very low.

well that was stupid, People can have heart attacks at any age. It is less likely but if you getting symptoms then go to A&E weither you 18 or 80

bopdude
15-02-2006, 17:19
Chris, go to the doc's 9 out of 10 CF members that use them say they prefer them, seriously though, if it wasn't for a nagging GF I would not be going through tests at the Doc / hospital atm, typical 'man' mentality, turns out somethings not 100% but I would have let it go, I'll say it again..................................

GO TO THE DOCTORS / HOSPITAL,

after all, good mods are hard to come by :tu:

Orior
15-02-2006, 17:29
Best quote EVER!

Speaking after his first heart attack, Eric Morcombe said that if he'd known at the time that he was having a heart attack... then he would have had a heart attack.

Chimaera
15-02-2006, 17:39
Back on topic then.......... ;)
I must be the unlikliest candidate for heart problems (female, correct weight, doing all the right things about diet and excercise etc). I started getting bouts of severe indigestion, with the pain radiating into my jaw. It happened at work one day and my boss suggested I visit the doctor asap as I looked so awful. A quick trip there ended up with a night on coronary care - and a diagnosis of angina! I was only 40 at the time and quite bewildered. If I hadn't gone to the doctors at that time I don't know what might have happened. So - just this once - do as you are told! I'd suggest going straight to A&E, because anyone with chest pains gets priority over the splinter and stitches brigade (having worked in one).
Good luck, hope you feel better soon and let us know how you get on! :hugs:

AndrewJ
15-02-2006, 17:55
Sorry to be a echo but I think again you should get it checked out Chris, I mean no news is good news and I am sure you don't complain for every slight pain.

It just ain't worth the risk.

Better to be sat in Hospital and have the attack then at home with your banoffe desert and possibly die from it ain't it?

etccarmageddon
15-02-2006, 18:21
Chris - get your ass down to A and E or the GP ASAP.

quadplay
15-02-2006, 18:39

Well, I'm sorry to announce that Chris is fine.

I spoke to him earlier, and by now he'll on his way home from his highly stressful job, smoking plenty of fags, and eating a large McDonalds. ;)

MadGamer
15-02-2006, 19:04

I spoke to him earlier, and by now he'll on his way home from his highly stressful job, smoking plenty of fags, and eating a large McDonalds. ;) Oh that is good news, perhaps he should take some time of work to avoid further stress, good idea?

quadplay
15-02-2006, 19:10
Hehe, I'll let Chris answer that one, but I think the response is likely to be akin to a song once sung by Kylie!

Chimaera
15-02-2006, 19:19
Hehe, I'll let Chris answer that one, but I think the response is likely to be akin to a song once sung by Kylie!
The Locomotion? :shrug: :D

Chris W
15-02-2006, 20:14

I spoke to him earlier, and by now he'll on his way home from his highly stressful job, smoking plenty of fags, and eating a large McDonalds. ;)

:wavey:

here i am :)

it was burger king... not macdonalds ;) mmmm rodeo triple..... :p:

pain seems to have gone today :shrug:

maybe i'll go to the doctors next time! thanks all for the concern though :)

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Oh that is good news, perhaps he should take some time of work to avoid further stress, good idea?

:LOL: you suggest that to my area director... because i am certainly not going to! He is likely to respond with the words "chance" and "fat" although not necessarily in that order ;)

Stuart
15-02-2006, 20:33
:LOL: you suggest that to my area director... because i am certainly not going to! He is likely to respond with the words "chance" and "fat" although not necessarily in that order ;)

Or off, and f*** (swear filter won't let me type it).

Glad to hear you are OK..

Chrysalis
15-02-2006, 21:27
I have had pain for months in left chest area which comes and goes, at best it feels different to right area but not painful, at worst it is painful. My GP said it is indigestion and my heart is normal but some worrying signs below.

Sometimes I get a sort of spasm in chest and then am normal again.
Sometimes I halt breathing and start again.
I think sometimes my heart has stopped for 1-2 secs then starts again.
Once I had pains matching my pulse but this was only once.
I am often slightly short breathed and feel fatigued.

On the good side which would suggest indigestion.

It is usually worse after eating or before going toilet.
It dies down when drinking fluids.
It is always better after sleep.

Now when I say about heart missing beats this isnt happening every time I check pulse or heart beats I would say maybe 3 or 4 times out of about 30 or so times checking and not recently, I think paranoia is making it worse for sure. I have also had a chest xray 15 months ago along with a ecg after a panic attack so if I had a heart problem I expect they would have picked it up then, so the only thing I think I may have if not indigestion is mild angina.

cnewton2k
15-02-2006, 21:39
I have had pain for months in left chest area which comes and goes, at best it feels different to right area but not painful, at worst it is painful. My GP said it is indigestion and my heart is normal but some worrying signs below.

Now when I say about heart missing beats this isnt happening every time I check pulse or heart beats I would say maybe 3 or 4 times out of about 30 or so times checking and not recently, I think paranoia is making it worse for sure. I have also had a chest xray 15 months ago along with a ecg after a panic attack so if I had a heart problem I expect they would have picked it up then, so the only thing I think I may have if not indigestion is mild angina.

TBH i have the same symtoms as u, i have had them now for nearly 4 years and mine are due to be suffering from GAD (General Anxiety Disorder).

And the same as you i have had countless test done, but it never sseams to be enough.

etccarmageddon
15-02-2006, 23:52

Now when I say about heart missing beats this isnt happening every time I check pulse or heart beats I would say maybe 3 or 4 times out of about 30 or so times checking and not recently, I think paranoia is making it worse for sure. I have also had a chest xray 15 months ago along with a ecg after a panic attack so if I had a heart problem I expect they would have picked it up then, so the only thing I think I may have if not indigestion is mild angina.or it could be stress related.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

do you find you have trouble relaxing/unwinding?

Chrysalis
16-02-2006, 17:54
I have a lot of stress at current so it will be related in some way I think.

marky
16-02-2006, 18:12
I have suffered Anxiety/Panic attacks for a few years now, the doctor put me on propranalol (heart pills) :shrug:
Anyway when i do have an attack ive been told the symptoms are basicly the same as a Heart attack.
So stress or no stress, Go see you doc, It could be serious.

Errrrr you still here :mad:

Chrysalis
16-02-2006, 18:21
I have seen my gp. Also been mentioned to a nhs direct doctor in the hospital.

etccarmageddon
16-02-2006, 18:28
sounds like a good holiday would help you and a trip to a lap dancing bar!