PDA

View Full Version : What happens if...

Alfie Moon
12-02-2006, 13:46
If I exceed the 75gb cap thing on 10mb what will NTL do ?

Do they turn a blind eye to it ? do they cut off or restrict your service ? do they charge you per GB ?

I would say I am going to be close to 150GB this month so just need to know what NTL would do

I very rarely download illegal stuff btw :cool:

Ignition
12-02-2006, 15:30

Do they turn a blind eye to it ? do they cut off or restrict your service ? do they charge you per GB ?

I would say I am going to be close to 150GB this month so just need to know what NTL would do

A big fat hairy Welshman will come around and do some rather illegal things to you.

SnoopZ
12-02-2006, 15:34
Haha, i was going to say they would cut off his balls ;)

otguk
12-02-2006, 15:37

150GB WTF, 150GB noooooo way man. You most have a sore wrist :p:

You might find yourself down to 1mb next month, 150 GB WTF................

LemonyBrainAid
12-02-2006, 15:38
AFAIK they put you down to 512k

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

I've downloaded 150GB in a month before.

Luckily I'm on 2mb

xathras
12-02-2006, 15:47
you lot are download junkies.

I might download the odd movie now and again, maybe access some flash, movie tutorials etc. if i ever hit 75gb in a month i will give you £10

zing_deleted
12-02-2006, 15:49
A big fat hairy Welshman will come around and do some rather illegal things to you.

If he brings his sheep then im hitting the torrents ;) lol

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

when I was ukonline i was downloading 250 gig easy a month not anymore though

Alfie Moon
12-02-2006, 16:08
I leave the PC and net running 24/7

I play high bandwidth games

I watch a lot of repeats of TV shows online

I download bootlegs and rock concerts from the 60's and 70's

Just keeping my PC and net on 24/7 at 10mb is going to use up 75GB alone probably

UncleBooBoo
12-02-2006, 16:29

You called sir?

:D

nffc
12-02-2006, 16:32
AFAIK they put you down to 512k

---------- Post added at 15:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

I've downloaded 150GB in a month before.

Luckily I'm on 2mb
Serious responses not allowed... :Yikes: :erm: :dozey:

Maggy
12-02-2006, 17:14
Hmmmm!

I've only downloaded 3 and half GB since the 1st of January.Good job there are some of us light weights about isn't it? ;)

UncleBooBoo
12-02-2006, 17:15
I have a funny feeling that due to all the problems NTL have had over this 10Mb BB service they will end up enforcing the cap very soon. And to be honest with you I have no sympathy for those who abuse the service.

Wait I can see them now logging on here to moan that they have been downgraded to a 512k service, and in my opinion I think they shoud continue to be charged the £34.99 for that 512k!

That will teach them to abuse a service and put other "Honest" customers who do abide by the rules through the hasle of a poor service!

Alfie Moon
12-02-2006, 17:40
I have a funny feeling that due to all the problems NTL have had over this 10Mb BB service they will end up enforcing the cap very soon. And to be honest with you I have no sympathy for those who abuse the service.

Wait I can see them now logging on here to moan that they have been downgraded to a 512k service, and in my opinion I think they shoud continue to be charged the £34.99 for that 512k!

That will teach them to abuse a service and put other "Honest" customers who do abide by the rules through the hasle of a poor service!

Well NTL should supply us with metres that show how much bandwidth we have used, if I know how much I am using then its easy to keep it under control and play less online games and watch less streamed tv programs

I have gone through several hard drives over the years and ever since I left my PC on 24/7 instead of turning it off every night I have not even gone through 1 yet

I think that if an NTL share ratio is 50:1 then the 75GB that is not used up by people from their allowances should be pooled to allow more bandwidth for heavy users, if the other 49 on my network are just doing a daily email check and nothing else and use up 3GB a month why shouldn't their other 72 be given to high users

Llawnroc
12-02-2006, 17:47
Actually I wouldn't mind know myself how NTL will enforce the cap. I've got an XBox 360 and I've downloadedl loads of stuff from the XBox Live Marketplace not only that from Sky Broadband as well.

I must have hit and exceeded my cap with all that alone!!

UncleBooBoo
12-02-2006, 18:31
There is tones of free software on the market which monitors your bandwidth!

And there is a big difference between going over your bandwidth by 5-10GB or even 20 at max! Then there are people like you who take the pi** with 150-300GB a month!

and claim you don't know because NTL don't provide a monitoring service, well you do know or you wouldn't have posted this thread!

if the cap is no good then downgrade to a service that offers what you need and if one is not available then go elsewhere!

Ohhh and I play loads of online games and I watch loads of video streams and I have never gone over 75GB ever, I even download the odd music track here and there! not to mention my PC is on 24/7 as I have my own site!

if your doing an easy 150GB a month then you want to get rid of your P2P...;)
(Or use it more wisely)

Edit: I also have my PS2 connected and I use VOIP, Although I'm against caps I would rather have them and have a good stable connection than not have them and have nothing but trouble! (Providing the cap is a fair one and not a stupid 1-3GB like some have)

Alfie Moon
12-02-2006, 19:07
There is tones of free software on the market which monitors your bandwidth!

And there is a big difference between going over your bandwidth by 5-10GB or even 20 at max! Then there are people like you who take the pi** with 150-300GB a month!

and claim you don't know because NTL don't provide a monitoring service, well you do know or you wouldn't have posted this thread!

if the cap is no good then downgrade to a service that offers what you need and if one is not available then go elsewhere!

Ohhh and I play loads of online games and I watch loads of video streams and I have never gone over 75GB ever, I even download the odd music track here and there! not to mention my PC is on 24/7 as I have my own site!

if your doing an easy 150GB a month then you want to get rid of your P2P...;)
(Or use it more wisely)

Edit: I also have my PS2 connected and I use VOIP, Although I'm against caps I would rather have them and have a good stable connection than not have them and have nothing but trouble! (Providing the cap is a fair one and not a stupid 1-3GB like some have)

I don't know if I am doing 150, I spoke to a mate today about net usage and he turned round and said that given what I listed to him that I must be doing double the capacity which kinda freaked me out a bit

I would say in terms of actual downloads onto the hard drive I probably download about 30-40GB a month so leaving the net on 24/7 for 30 days at a time with upstream and downstream must mean I am exceeding it massively

Stuart
12-02-2006, 19:13
Just keeping my PC and net on 24/7 at 10mb is going to use up 75GB alone probably

No, it will not. Trust me on this. Unless you are using P2P, or have a massive problem with Viruses, then Windows uses almost no bandwidth while idle (IIRC, it sends a few control signals to ensure network connectivity, and sychronises the time about once a week).

Bill C
12-02-2006, 19:52
2 Reasons i went from 10 meg back to 2 meg

1. It did not perform very well for me even after checking everything they say you should check.

2. I was warned that " A big fat hairy Welshman was coming around and was going to do some rather illegal things to me." :LOL:

I now have the 2 meg unlimited service and can admit freely "nothing like coming out is there " that i have downloaded well over what was the cap for 2 meg. I have no sympathy for anyone that complains about the 75 gig cap with the availability of the 1 and 2 meg unlimited services.

This is my active list as far as usage goes.

3 x pc (Windblows Software)
1 x xbox 360
1 x xbox
1 x media centre pc
1 x Linux test box and router

I download from the following.

FTP
Newsgroups "Newshosting :tu:"
Sky By Broadband

I never ever use if i can help it

Any p2p that uploads. (Sky by Broadband exempted)

And Finally i dont download Linux iso's every day to cover up my usage.

So there you have it and all legal on my 2 meg connection and working fine with none of that 10 meg slowdown :)

Alfie Moon
12-02-2006, 20:17
No, it will not. Trust me on this. Unless you are using P2P, or have a massive problem with Viruses, then Windows uses almost no bandwidth while idle (IIRC, it sends a few control signals to ensure network connectivity, and sychronises the time about once a week).

Does Bit Torrent count as P2P ?

I tend to do all my downloading while I am in bed so recording stuff like Lost and 24 etc is done while I am in bed so I am guessing that I eat up a lot of upstream and downstream with the comp ticking over downloading

Bill C
12-02-2006, 20:25
Does Bit Torrent count as P2P ?

I tend to do all my downloading while I am in bed so recording stuff like Lost and 24 etc is done while I am in bed so I am guessing that I eat up a lot of upstream and downstream with the comp ticking over downloading
Yes it is P2P. And its the one they are watching very closly at the moment :( . Look here (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1092) and here (http://www.slyck.com/bt.php) for more info.

sollp
12-02-2006, 22:22

No it won't, apart from the down loads by just having your PC on with the Broadband on as well, will only be a couple of GIG a month even playing the games won't use that much. I Do this with out the music down loads and use at most 2-4 GIG a month.

DavidC
13-02-2006, 02:03
I have to admit i often wonder how much GB i use in a month, at a guess i estimate around 50 but its a total guess.
I download and upload mainly music videos, not into movies at all. I dont use p2p very often and if i do i turn it off as soon as i get what i want. Dont like using bittorrent cos its slows my old PC down for some reason.
Some of the music vids i download and upload are high quality vobs like 200Mb each and i can go through a few of these every day.

If NTL wants us to stick with this cap then they should give there customers a way of knowing how much there using. Ok i know you can google for one but i dont see why i should, i pay them enough money every month so they can give me some way of monitoring it if and when they try to enforce it.

i dont think im a really heavy user but i get my money's worth probably..lol. If they ever downgrade me though i would not be happy to be treated like that and would look for another ISP.

My two cents worth ;)

Im happy with NTL though, got no problems with it really. Im writing this cos im bored while im uploading a 170 Mb file :p:

Pia
13-02-2006, 02:15
NTL do have plans to make tools available to monitor your own usage.

Until then, they aren't really enforcing the cap unless your heavy usage is affecting network performance.
I was told by ntl on the phone a while back not to worry at all, it was when there was a 1gb a month cap and i went over by about 8gb.

Scroll to the bottom of this page anyway, says here that they plan on making the tools available by December.
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/usagefaq

DavidC
13-02-2006, 04:04
Thanks for posting that link Pia, it made interesting reading and going by those guidelines i reckon im probably under 75 gb, hard to tell but im gonna be more careful how much i upload from now on ;)

Chrysalis
13-02-2006, 09:06
I think people who download say 100gig using ftp and newsgroups or even http, are less damaging to the network then someone who would download 30gig using p2p, because the p2p is using more upstream bandwidth and I believe upstream is where most of the congestion is.

Alfie Moon
13-02-2006, 10:45
Great link, thanks

That list though does EACH of those use up 75GB ? or is 75GB a combination of all those things added together ?

Pia
13-02-2006, 12:21
In the 75gb column, all of those things add up to your total.
So it says you can do all that, aswell as looking at websites 24 hours a day, which i presume means actual loading pages not just having your computer switched on.

Until NTL do provide these tools, i recommend using a little program called NetMeter, easy to use, even for a noob like me:D
You can also set it to alert you when you are going over your limit.
http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

Alfie Moon
13-02-2006, 12:39
Thanks :D yeah I think I am safe then if all that lot applies combined :)
Will get that program too :)

paul11974
13-02-2006, 12:44

you must have a high electric bill each month

Craig_e
14-02-2006, 13:18

Nothing, they're too busy trying to sort out their billing............:angel:

Gster
14-02-2006, 21:07
150GB is from NOTHING but downloading illigal material :P we ALL know that. I think 75GB is fair enough. But i do also believe NTL should have more options for more GB. Maybe £42 for 120GB cap. £50 for 200GB cap.

And if your downloading that much, get bandwith moniter, tells you your months amount :D

Chrysalis
15-02-2006, 20:11
I would agree most of heaby users are probably downloading copyrighted material but I wont agree ALL are, there are legitimate use's of that kind of traffic.