PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to these modem issues?

space
11-02-2006, 22:51
I've been having speed problem everv since the upgrade to the 10 meg service.

I've been doing a ton of research and I have found some information I wondered if anyone else had encountered this and knows it to be true.

I originally had a Motorola Surfboard 3100 modem and I've found references to the fact that this modem is incompatible with teh 10 meg speed and all you'll get is a a maximum of 6 meg.

This is what I had been getting before twelewest came and changed my modem.

I was then put on a Webstar EPC2100 modem.

However I have since discovered information that this modem is also incompatible if you hav version 1 of it.

If you have version 1 like me) it will have a white label and you won't get past 6meg.

If you have version 2 of this modem it will have a yellow label and it will be compatible and you won't have a speed issue.

So from the information I gathered I was given one modem that is incompatible in exchange for another modem that was incompatible.

Again, I don't know if this information is accuarte so if people are having speed issues can they say what modem they have, and if it's a webstar what coloured label it has?

thanks

Chris W
12-02-2006, 00:19
:welcome:

I don't know about the webstar modems, but the reason the SB3100 won't give you 10meg is because it only has a 10mbps ethernet port, you need a 100mbps ethernet port to achieve the full 10meg. If you can check what the webstar has, this is something to investigate.

Ignition
12-02-2006, 15:37
That is indeed all accurate, well researched.