PDA

View Full Version : What should my upload speed be?

Curve
09-02-2006, 23:09
I spend alot of my time gaming and i just decided to ditch the tv and phone and just go for 10mb internet. I was on a 2mb deal but i honestly havent noticed a change on my favorite servers for gaming. I kinda thought that the upload speed would change along with the download :erm:

twinkle
09-02-2006, 23:14
if on bittorrent ,set upload @60 ish ,no worries

AbyssUnderground
09-02-2006, 23:29
1Mbps is 100Kbps upload
2Mbps is 200Kbps upload
3Mbps is 300Kbps upload
10Mbps is 512Kbps upload

For torrents never set the upload more than 2/3's of your top upload speed. If you do you'll saturate it and end up with lower download speeds.

EG, on 10Mbps set your upload to no more than 40KB/s for best results. Some people find that a lower upload can get better download results. Thats certainly the case with me. I use 6-10KB/s on my 2Mbps connection. However its rare I use torrents so I might just be lucky at those times. :)

Hope this helps.

Curve
09-02-2006, 23:39
I think there are a few torrent obsessed people here :P

No like when you join a game server you ping is shown some where on your screen. I used to have a ping of say 30 good 40 bad, but i still seem to have the same even though i changed my connection :(

AbyssUnderground
09-02-2006, 23:45
You always will have the same. A faster connection doesnt mean a faster ping. It simply means more speed for downloads etc. You cant expect less than 30ms to any server usually. Me and my friends get 60ms and we are all on NTL on the other side of the country from each other. (liverpool and middlesbrough).

Chrysalis
10-02-2006, 07:02
if on bittorrent ,set upload @60 ish ,no worries

its no wonder there is upstream saturation if people are thinking like that, no respect for fellow users.

on torrent you can have it as low as 5kB and it wont slow your download dispite the fud thats spread to encourage higher upload speeds. Just keep the amount of people that can connect to you to a highish number the speed they can get isnt relevant.

Graham M
10-02-2006, 11:18
I think there are a few torrent obsessed people here :P

No like when you join a game server you ping is shown some where on your screen. I used to have a ping of say 30 good 40 bad, but i still seem to have the same even though i changed my connection :(

Speed and Latency
There is a difference between Bandwidth (Speed) and Latency. The Speed (Measured in kbps or Kilobits per Second) is the maximum transfer of data in either direction (10240kbps down and 512kbps up on the 10meg service) Latency is the ammount of time (usually measured in milliseconds (thousandths of a second)) that it takes for a packet of data to get from your computer to wherever it's going. This is important for online games because the information on your machine about what the other players in-game are doing needs to be kept up to date. This is one reason why Dial-up really is no good for online games because of the translation of the digital data into an analogue format and back again, this increases the latency of the packet transfer by quite a lot. Broadband gets around this by sending purely digital signals down the line reducing latency greatly.

This is a basic explanation, I will dig out a 12 page essay from my College course on this if you want a good read :angel:

Curve
10-02-2006, 12:16
Zeph you rule dude that was explained flawlesly

cabletj210
14-02-2006, 15:58
do a trace route to your favourite server and you will see how many hops it makes before connecting, a fast connection will not increase the speed it takes through these hops.
As Zeph mentioned pings are measured in millisecs, i get about 15ms with my 2mb ntl connection but online gaming can be from 30+, don't forget some games try to balance your ping so that you don't have an advantage over slower connections.