PDA

View Full Version : My connection - and the no. of homes it's shared with.

Retrovertigo
09-02-2006, 13:54
I have been wondering for a while now about this. Seeing as my 10meg connection is anything but!

Anywway, my home is a house divided into 3 flats as is the identical property next door. NTL when first cabling up the area, ran a cable pipe up to underneath my window and the same next door.

Since then 5 more flats have been built behind me. Yet NTL have fed everyone, including myself from next doors junction. Despite my junction being on the wall exactly where my P.C is placed. Instead they ran a cable from next door and down my front wall!!!

Now, the junction box next door now feeds 9 flats in total. It comes from a brown junction box and then is a spiders web of cables all split off by small silver splitter boxes that look like cheap tat from maplins.

Surely this is partly why my speed is now pathetic? It can't be right to have the one feed split up and shared like this can it?

Maybe I am wrong but it all seems so sloppy and unprofessional to me.

Derek
09-02-2006, 14:32
Maybe I am wrong but it all seems so sloppy and unprofessional to me.

You are wrong ;)

If the signal level was afffected it wouldn't just cause the signal to be slow, you would have drop outs of connectivity.

Toto
09-02-2006, 15:14
You are wrong ;)

If the signal level was afffected it wouldn't just cause the signal to be slow, you would have drop outs of connectivity.

Not sure he is wrong actually, upto 14 properties feeding off two junction boxes?

There must be some speed issues there, especially if a few of those have the same BB speeds, and not counting the other properties in the street?

At the very least it sounds a bit shoddy, any chance of a picture?

Derek
09-02-2006, 16:01
Not sure he is wrong actually, upto 14 properties feeding off two junction boxes?

There must be some speed issues there, especially if a few of those have the same BB speeds, and not counting the other properties in the street?

It'll be running from the same Co-ax. From memory the co-ax feeds quite a number of homes before going back into the fibre network. I don't think 14 is a high enough number to really affect it that badly.

Still if one of the techs wants to prove me wrong I'll except their word.

Stu038
09-02-2006, 16:13
Providing the RF levels are correct ;) you can run as many homes as you want from a length of coax, without any problems. I would hope that when the additional instals were done the levels were increased accordingly.
From memory the co-ax feeds quite a number of homes before going back into the fibre network.
generally between 500-600 from a single optical fibre

Retrovertigo
09-02-2006, 16:19

I'll try and get my uncles digital camera and take a pic of the wiring at the back. It's horrendous to be honest.