PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Modem

animal6
08-02-2006, 13:47
HI

I'm relatively new to the forum so apologies if this is a silly question. I would like to move my computer to a different room and have been advised NTL charge £25 to move the modem. Before I go ahead and arrange this, can you advise if this would be an easy job to do myself?

Ramrod
08-02-2006, 14:09
Wheres Bill when we need him? :)

zeus9876
08-02-2006, 14:33
If you dont mind leaving the modem where it is you could just run ethernet cable to the other room or go wireless..

It really depends if you want the cable modem moved aswell.

animal6
08-02-2006, 14:42
I don't mind leaving the modem there at all. Would it be hard to install an ethernet cable? Does NTL supply a wireless connection - that might cut out all the hassle

MovedGoalPosts
08-02-2006, 14:49
Running an ethernet cable is a simple job - apart from determining the route of the cable. You can get a lead made up in any decent computer store that does repair type work - or many longer length cables are available premade. That just enables you to plug the new cable into the modem at one ends and your computer at the other end.

ntl do the actiontec wireless adaptor system (http://www.ntlworld.com/toolsservices/wireless/), but don't really support it. It also seems a tad expensive to me. Many members on here seems to prefer linksys. If you do want to go wireless have a look through the networking section of this forum.

moveing the modem itself is a more tricky operation as the ntl side cable has to be altered / extended. Theoretically just changing the length of the cable can alter the signal strength. Worse if the new end conector isn't properly made you can get interference or poor conectivity. The right type of cable is needed too - standard co-axial available from DIY shops is inadequate. This all explains ntl's £25.00 charge which in practice is probably quite cheap, even ignoring the materials.

zing_deleted
08-02-2006, 15:18
or homeplug.Wireless or long wire are not the only options seems like theres only me supporting this http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/?gclid=CJSYm5GgiYMCFUU6QgodvDpCjQ

If all you want is the net buy a cheap router and 2 of the cheaper homeplugs.No wires no insecure wireless conenction ;)

animal6
08-02-2006, 15:41
thanks for all this. I'm quite inexperienced with all this so I think I'll pay the £25. Cheers for all your help