PDA

View Full Version : ADSL newbie....Demon?

Tezcatlipoca
07-02-2006, 21:51
So........

Moved a week ago (very long story lol...).

Anyway.

For some reason, the development where my g/f & I have our nice new flat is not cabled.

Which sucks.

ntl may not be perfect, but I never really had any major issues, plus they were stupidly cheap (especially with the 3 for £30 for phone, 'net, & DTV).

Now I have to suffer having different providers for everything...more hassle & more cost.

Got a BT line sorted already, plus have Sky on the way. But still in need of broadband.

Really in need of broadband!

I hate dial-up! It's so damned slow! :(

What I basically want is a 1 or 2 meg service with either a) no capping/restrictions at all or b) capping no more excessive than the 30gig/month I used to have with ntl.

I've already ruled out a few ISPs simply 'cos of cost (Zen, Nildram, BT, couple of others I think), or 'cos of what I've read about them (Plus.Net & UKOnline to name but two).

I'm thinking about Demon's "Demon Home" package - free set-up, £19.99/month, 2meg, allegedly unlimited/unmetered, "wires only" install, etc.

Anyone have any experience with Demon...& if so would you recommend them?

Any recommendations instead of Demon?

SMHarman
07-02-2006, 23:09
Anyone have any experience with Demon...& if so would you recommend them?

Any recommendations instead of Demon?Got Demon Home Office 500 here (now a 2Mb connection but not renamed). Very good.

cnewton2k
07-02-2006, 23:40
i used to be with deamon leave them well alone

never had a good speed and u wait for ever for CSR

Matthew
07-02-2006, 23:42
Go with PlusNet, think the basic package is £14.99, been with them now nearly 3 years since moving from Freeserve, best move I made. I'm currently on the £21.99 a month for home users, I could degrade to the basic package but just havent had chance yet.

carlingman
08-02-2006, 00:08
Dont forget pipex worth a look 2meg no caps.

:D

Tezcatlipoca
08-02-2006, 00:44
Now having 2nd thoughts about Demon.

Found some reviews...all very negative about Demon's speeds, service, & CS.

PlusNet...

Had already pretty much decided against them, based on various things I've read about the service & the whole capping thing.

Pipex? Hmm. Really worthwhile? I remember various threads about them here...

Agh! Why's this so bloody hard?!

Anyone used Virgin? Any good?

Chris W
08-02-2006, 00:53
I'm using Virgin (and iirc Chris T is as well)

Service is reasonable- never had a need to contact cs apart from when moving house, but then response times were good. Be wary of their "month contract" though. unless you want to pay a £50 disconnection fee it is a 12month contract.

Quite heavily capped on the lower price packages though- highest is 2mbps/ 20 gig/ 24.99.

I am on the 512k package, but have never heard anything about going over limit although i am sure i have on a number of occassions.

SMHarman
08-02-2006, 00:58
Now having 2nd thoughts about Demon.

Found some reviews...all very negative about Demon's speeds, service, & CS.Demon went through a very bad patch when they did the 2Mb rollout. BT blame Demon, Demon blame BT, but people were upgraded to 2Mb when their line could not handle it and effectivly ended up with nothing instead.
They have 24 hr UK based customer service which is pretty responsive, but I have only called them twice (for BB problems). That was put down to network engineering causing my Linksys ADSL+2 to crash, a power cycle did fix it but it was annoying. I have not had to reboot any of my network hardware since September.
Something often said about here - forums are full of the horror stories. Demon has a 100,000 Broadband customers, an increase of 50% since 2004, like NTL (or perhaps better - most customers have good reliable service and accurate billing, just NTL do mess up so spectacularly when they do).

Demon has also just won this...
http://www.thus.net/mediacentre/pressreleases/2006/2006-01-23.shtml

They are not the cheapest, they have good newsgroup access if that is your bag too, unlike NTL. :2cents:

Neil
08-02-2006, 09:01
Matt- www.adslguide.org.uk ;)

AdamD
12-02-2006, 21:29
I use Bulldog, I know...they have a bad rep customer service wise, but they are doing better.
Plus they're cheap and have no download cap.

Maggy
12-02-2006, 21:34
http://www.net4now.com/

Tezcatlipoca
15-02-2006, 00:03
Cheers all.

Decided against Demon. May have just been a bad patch, but everything I've read about them on various sites has been very negative, not just about the broadband itself ("Home" in particular) but also their now apparently outsourced CS.

From various reviews I've ended up settling on Firefly. Was also tempted by Feedom2surf.

Signed up with Firefly on Monday, now just have to wait the "up to 10 working days" for activation....

Also got a Netgear DG834G ADSL modem / wireless G router on order...

Tezcatlipoca
24-02-2006, 00:52
My 2meg Firefly ADSL connection was activated today.

Set-up my Netgear modem/router earlier...easy to set up, works very well, much prefer it to my old Linksys WRT54G.

Broadband again at last! :D :D