PDA

View Full Version : Phew! Is that YOU?

Salu
07-02-2006, 09:48
Have you ever had to tell anyone that they smell of body odour? Was it easy or did you skirt round the issue too much or only hint at what you were saying? Were you quite direct and to the point?

I was thinking mostly of a work capacity. Manager to employee etc but it may be your granny etc?

Do you think these people know and don't care? Are they completely unaware or have lost their sense of smell? Have they got used to it?

:Yikes:

Nugget
07-02-2006, 09:53
I can't say about anyone at work, but I regularly tell Twin Nug that he stinks - my personal favourite was when he rubbed himself down (fully clothed, may I add!) with a car air-freshener :disturbd:

Jon M
07-02-2006, 10:03
We had one employee here who was given a formal warning for it.
That was before I joined the company, but his entire corner of the office smelled like wee whenever I went to fix his PC, he obviously hadn't learned his lesson.

Russ
07-02-2006, 10:07
When I worked at the DVLA there was this guy in the office who smelled in every possible way. The DVLA was 17 floors and we were on level 16 so we were quite high up and his breath was so bad that when he coughed, birds fell out of the sky. Body odour was another problem, if he ever lifted his arms the wallpaper would peel.

We had to get together and speak to our Personel Manager - eventually he seemed happy enough to clean up.

Nugget
07-02-2006, 10:15
We had one employee here who was given a formal warning for it.
That was before I joined the company, but his entire corner of the office smelled like wee whenever I went to fix his PC, he obviously hadn't learned his lesson.

Well, you should have gone before you went to fix his PC shouldn't you ;)

TheBlueRaja
07-02-2006, 10:31
There is a website that you can goto where you can send an anonymous e-mail telling the person that they smell, have bad breath etc its quite professional from what i remember of it (just dont ok :D), and includes advice about what they can do.

Trouble is i cant remember for the life of me what its called.

Jon M
07-02-2006, 11:07
There is a website that you can goto where you can send an anonymous e-mail telling the person that they smell, have bad breath etc its quite professional from what i remember of it (just dont ok :D), and includes advice about what they can do.

Trouble is i cant remember for the life of me what its called.
http://www.rediff.com/netguide/2001/jan/22anony.htm

Looks like www.gentlehints.com was the one... it's on a holding page now though.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

This should do instead: http://www.therabreath.com/tellafriend.asp

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

:rofl: http://www.iworkwithfools.com/item-293.html

Salu
07-02-2006, 11:37
www.u-niff.com ???

ian@huth
07-02-2006, 12:01
I think that a lot of people with odour problems are unaware of the problem. This may be that they have a poor sense of smell but more likely that they have got used to the smell and think that it is normal. A non-smoker can usually smell the smoke on a smoker's clothing but the smoker isn't aware of it.

I have always been of the opinion that it is best to be direct and to the point with the issue but would never broach the subject in front of other people. The best time to tell them that they have a problem is just as they are ready to leave work. They will probably be embarrassed by the revelation and want to get away from the scene and hopefully take steps to remedy the situation.

Pia
07-02-2006, 12:02
:erm:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/buypressurewashers.jsp.htm

Orior
07-02-2006, 12:30
Have you ever had to tell anyone that they smell of body odour? Was it easy or did you skirt round the issue too much or only hint at what you were saying? Were you quite direct and to the point?

Eh? You dont smell of body odour. Everyone has body odour, its just that some are a bit more repugnant that others.

Nugget
07-02-2006, 13:01
Eh? You dont smell of body odour. Everyone has body odour, its just that some are a bit more repugnant that others.

It's a good point - just like some people are more pedantic than others...

;) :PP:

Russ
07-02-2006, 13:11
Ha! Coming from a guy who thinks 'deoderant' is a new Mexican dance :D

Nugget
07-02-2006, 13:16
Ha! Coming from a guy who thinks 'deoderant' is a new Mexican dance :D

Well, coming from somebody who spends all day shaking his maracas, that's a bit rich ;)

pedantic
07-02-2006, 13:32
It's a good point - just like some people are more pedantic than others...

;) :PP:

:tiptoe:

Nugget
07-02-2006, 13:34
:tiptoe:

:wavey:

Gareth
07-02-2006, 13:35
You can send someone an anonymous Stink-o-gram (http://www.alltooflat.com/funny/stinkogram/) at www.alltooflat.com, as well as telling them they wear ugly ties and that they need to change their ringtone :D

They're the ones who also do the Elgoog (http://www.alltooflat.com/geeky/elgoog/)

Maggy
07-02-2006, 15:40
Best to be diplomatic but honest.Being direct is also best.

Something along the lines of "Have you been eating garlic?" Or "have you fixed your washing machine yet?" "So who's the stunner that's made you not go home and change your shirt for the last 2 days?" Or "have you run out of deoderant?"

:)

Nugget
07-02-2006, 15:53
I s'pose you could just stand in the middle of the office and shout 'OI STINKY!! HAVE A WASH BEFORE MY NOSE COMPLETELY SHUTS DOWN!!!'

Better check with Russ to see if that one works ;)

Escapee
07-02-2006, 16:29
Am I right in thinking some types of medication can also cause this problem?

Nugget
07-02-2006, 16:35
Am I right in thinking some types of medication can also cause this problem?

Actually, I have heard that some medication can cause an increase in the rate you perspire, which could have an effect if you're, how can we put this, a little lax...

TheBlueRaja
07-02-2006, 17:29
You could sweat like a pig and it wouldnt matter though - just because you play squash dosent mean you reak of excrement afterwards because your sweaty.

That comes from bring a dirty get and not cleaning yourself.

Salu
08-02-2006, 10:04
Actually, I have heard that some medication can cause an increase in the rate you perspire, which could have an effect if you're, how can we put this, a little lax...

Yes there are drugs that cause diaphoresis (excess sweating) such as GTN for angina or a drug given for a haemorrhage after giving birth but they wouldn't necessarily increase the smell of someone. There are some renal drugs that increase bad breath and BO if I remember correctly?

As for what causes the smell....well there are two kinds of sweat produced by the body. One from the eccrine glands and another from the apocrine glands. Its the sweat from the apocrine galnds that interact with certain bacteria in that the bacteria feeds off it. This type of sweat is released in times of stress etc.

Good personal hygiene and washing ones clothes well helps to stop the bacteria from multiplying and worsening the effect.

And that concludes today's medical lecture.... :)

homealone
08-02-2006, 10:10
As for what causes the smell....well there are two kinds of sweat produced by the body. One from the eccrine glands and another from the apocrine glands. Its the sweat from the apocrine galnds that interact with certain bacteria in that the bacteria feeds off it. This type of sweat is released in times of stress etc.

Good personal hygiene and washing ones clothes well helps to stop the bacteria from multiplying and worsening the effect.

And that concludes today's medical lecture.... :)

you forgot to mention that breasts are modified apocrine glands ;)

Salu
08-02-2006, 10:12
No. I chose to miss that little detail out...to avoid the thread being Nuggeted.... :)

Nugget
08-02-2006, 14:22
No. I chose to miss that little detail out...to avoid the thread being Nuggeted.... :)

Charming! You know, taking my name in vain like that gets right on my ti ... oh, I see what you mean :D

Salu
08-02-2006, 16:17
Charming! You know, taking my name in vain like that gets right on my ti ... oh, I see what you mean :D

You should be honoured that your name has become a verb. In years to come it will be subsumed into webspeek (l33t)

Nugget
08-02-2006, 16:27
You should be honoured that your name has become a verb. In years to come it will be subsumed into webspeek (l33t)

Yeah, but how do you conjugate 'to Nugget'? How the hell would the past participle in the future tense work?

My head hurts...

:D

Salu
08-02-2006, 16:32
I nugget
You nugget
He Nuggets
She Nuggets
We Nugget
You Nugget
They Nuggeted

Nugget
08-02-2006, 16:38
I nugget
You nugget
He Nuggets
She Nuggets
We Nugget
You Nugget
They Nuggeted

Ah, but what about the conditional? 'I would Nugget'? That just sounds rude :disturbd:

Jon M
08-02-2006, 16:38
My dog nuggeted on our new carpet.

Nugget
08-02-2006, 16:39
My dog nuggeted on our new carpet.

You're gonna get a kick in the nuggets in a minute, young man :p:

danielf
08-02-2006, 16:41
I nugget
You nugget
He Nuggets
She Nuggets
We Nugget
You Nugget
They Nuggeted

Surely, to Nugget would be an irregular verb? I suggest Nuggot (or Nuggit even) for the past tense (and participle).

Salu
08-02-2006, 16:44
Shut your nugget now.

Let's get back on thread. We seem to have nuggeted away from it...

danielf
08-02-2006, 16:47
Shut your nugget now.

Let's get back on thread. We seem to have nuggeted away from it...

The thread is about smelly people. Surely, posts about Nugget are very much on-topic? :confused:

Nugget
08-02-2006, 16:52
The thread is about smelly people. Surely, posts about Nugget are very much on-topic? :confused:

Oh c'mon! I accept that some of the gags stink, but that's just mean :D

MadGamer
10-02-2006, 21:19
I came out straight and told my friend (an ex member here) that he smelt, it was so bad that that we have now stopped talking to each other, apart from other things as well, such as attitude etc.