PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Invite Wording Assistance

skyblueheroes
06-02-2006, 14:40
Guys,

I need to write the inlay which goes in a wedding invite (location of wedding, gifts etc) and instead of a wedding list they want cash to decorate as they have been living together for a couple of years anyway.

How is the best way to write something like that without sounding greedy or rude :p:

This is what I have so far although I don't want to refer to them as the third person - its their invite.............

'We do not have a wedding list. However if you would like to offer the newlyweds a contribution towards our redecoration, this would be greatly appreciated.'

Ta.

ScaredWebWarrior
06-02-2006, 14:49
'We do not have a wedding list. However if you would like to offer the newlyweds a contribution towards our redecoration, this would be greatly appreciated.'Sounds pretty well spot on, to me.

Might be helpful to elaborate slightly on what is being redecorated - for the more distant relatives who may not be aware?

Aragorn
06-02-2006, 15:00
IMO, asking wedding guests for money is not going to go down too well. People like to give objects that are going to be treasured, not 'a fiver' to pay for paint. Sorry if that sounds harsh. It is also easier to spend more on a nice 'thing' than decide how much 'money' to give - will probably evoke the 'Am I being tight?', 'I can flash the cash' type emotions!

If they really want to go ahead with that, try something like - "As you probably know, we have a well equiped home. However, we would welcome contributions to updating the decor."

Ramrod
06-02-2006, 15:08
B&Q vouchers? :D

zing_deleted
06-02-2006, 15:11
tell them what colour paint is wanted and tell them nothing short of Dulux trade diamond matt will do none of that shop bought crap.BTW I have access to a trade account at the dulux centre in cov m8 ;) lol

LSainsbury
06-02-2006, 15:14
B&Q vouchers? :D

Beat me to it!

Or Homebase vouchers...

Or homewares - such as Debenhams, Next.

You could always ask the guests for email addresses, that way the couple could send digital photos of the re-decorated house to the guests...

I can see it now...

Paint Supplied by: Auntie Maude
Curtains Supplied by: Uncle Harry
Table Decorations Supplied by: 3rd cousin, twice removed, Sally

etc....:disturbd:

Bifta
06-02-2006, 15:55
Like Aragorn said, most people will think it cheeky actually asking for anything, over here I guess it's different though, people just know to slip the groom an envelope stuffed full of cash nice and discreetly and let them decide if they want to buy a new toaster or not.

etccarmageddon
06-02-2006, 17:03
I dont think a wedding invite is the place for putting details of pressy requirements. If you're going to put anything be as subtle as poss and put something like 'mr and mrs xxxx are in charge of the wedding present list' in small print but anything is really cheeky in my opinion - wait for them to contact your folks and make sure you folks state that you're after gift vouchers for b and q.

skyblueheroes
06-02-2006, 17:16
Thanks for replies.....BTW it not my wedding !

Its not going in the invite itself. Its on a seperarte piece of A5 paper which includes info on the Hotel and rooms and location etc.....

Ramrod
06-02-2006, 17:49
I dont think a wedding invite is the place for putting details of pressy requirements. - wait for them to contact your folks and make sure you folks state that you're after gift vouchers for b and q.:tu:

driver_problems
06-02-2006, 19:59
or "Wedding party imminent. Bring bottle, bird and large 10 litre tub of B&Q magnolia"?

Fingy
07-02-2006, 06:29
Nothing at all to do with the wedding list/alternative present ideas, i.e. money or vouchers, can be written on or sent with the invitation. It is totally against all wedding/invite etiquette. The invites should be sent out 8 to 12 weeks before the event, this gives plenty of time to have the word spread around that the couple would prefer money or vouchers as they have already kitted their house out. But all this is easy compared to who gets invited and who doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢tÃÃ⠀šÃ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¦. good luck!

Shaun
07-02-2006, 06:51
PM SMHarman , I believe he and his partner have a wedding invite business and he may be able to advise you on the etiquette :)

SMHarman
07-02-2006, 13:55
www.mygatsby.com has lots of good wording advice

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Nothing at all to do with the wedding list/alternative present ideas, i.e. money or vouchers, can be written on or sent with the invitation. It is totally against all wedding/invite etiquette. The invites should be sent out 8 to 12 weeks before the event, this gives plenty of time to have the word spread around that the couple would prefer money or vouchers as they have already kitted their house out. But all this is easy compared to who gets invited and who doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢tÃÃ⠀šÃ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¦. good luck!Really the invitation should go out 6 weeks before the wedding. If guests need more advanced notice the inviter should send out a "save the date" card, this card can include transport and accomodation information. As you say it is not correct etiquette to include anything in the invitation about presents, it is the responsiblity of the invitee to ask the invitor (I put it this way as although traditionally it is the brides parents this varys nowadays) who / where / how to give the couple a gift.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

PM SMHarman , I believe he and his partner have a wedding invite business and he may be able to advise you on the etiquette :)Indeed - thanks for the mention.

Shaun
11-02-2008, 23:20
Sorry to drag such an old thread up but I now have use for your services Mr Harman. Do you and your wife have a website? :D