PDA

View Full Version : wendy

peachey
15-11-2003, 21:54
did you know that the name Wendy did not exist before J M Barrie included it in his
peter pan book

similarly
the expression
'poetry in motion'

did not exist until the song of the same name came out

Ramrod
15-11-2003, 21:57
I think I knew about Wendy.....rings a bell

Chris
15-11-2003, 22:35
I think I knew about Wendy.....rings a bell

A tinkerbell?

http://www.users.kih.net/~sugarmag/tinkerbell.jpg

Ramrod
15-11-2003, 22:50
Groan!

Atomic22
16-11-2003, 18:00
also no one was called peter pan before jm barrie wrote about him.....ahem
toy bears were only called teddy after some yank president.....
and coca-cola invented santa....

Stuart
16-11-2003, 18:11
and coca-cola invented santa....
Sort of true, but not quite. He was around before coca cola, but didn't have the red suit.

Bex
16-11-2003, 18:39
Sort of true, but not quite. He was around before coca cola, but didn't have the red suit.

i didnt know that stu..wow i actually learnt something today :p

Atomic22
16-11-2003, 19:48
santa wasnt fat before coke either....
coca-cola artists drew santa the same shape as their coke bottles and dressed him in the company colours of red and white and put him on the front of an xmas card that was sent to all the coca-cola staff thereby inventing the worlds first corporate xmas card and the modern day version of santa

Stuart
16-11-2003, 23:02
coca-cola artists drew santa the same shape as their coke bottles and dressed him in the company colours of red and white and put him on the front of an xmas card that was sent to all the coca-cola staff thereby inventing the worlds first corporate xmas card and the modern day version of santa
And people say christmas is becoming commercial now...

Chris
16-11-2003, 23:20

very true ... prior to that, he had been illustrated in all kinds of colours and was not normally fat. I've seen a victorian christmas card that has him in blue!

Graham
17-11-2003, 23:28
Oh dear, here we go again...!

Refer to the Snopes "Coke Lore" pages eg...
http://snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

Theodoric
18-11-2003, 20:47
did you know that the name Wendy did not exist before J M Barrie included it in his
peter pan book

But by no means unique. For example, Vanessa was invented by Dean Swift of Gulliver's Travels fame.

Ramrod
18-11-2003, 21:55
I wonder if (rather being invented by those authors) those names were merely popularised by them.

aliferste
18-11-2003, 22:30
I believe the original father Christmas was dressed in a green suit :) a bit like Robin Hood !

Chris
19-11-2003, 09:50
Oh dear, here we go again...!

Refer to the Snopes "Coke Lore" pages eg...
http://snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

I don't think any of us were saying that Coke 'invented' Santa Claus ... and as for Snopes' assertion that even the fat, red-suited Santa was fixed as the popular image some years before Coke's ad campaign, well really that is a matter of opinion isn't it? Did they look at each and every piece of Santa artwork produced throughout the 1920s in order to determine this, or is it merely an educated guess by a website whose stated aim is to debunk 'urban myths'?