PDA

View Full Version : SportsWorld Purchase

LSainsbury
05-02-2006, 15:57
Hi,

I bought some clothes from Sports World the other day...

One item was some tracksuit bottoms - I didn't know what size to get so I played safe and got a medium and a large.

Obviously the result was going to end up with me taking a pair back. Went back on Saturday to refund the non-fitting item and was told it was company policy that they would only refund if the item was faulty. The assistant then pointed out the notice on the counter (which I did not see when I bought the items) saying the same thing. They insisted that I could only swap them of get a credit note.

After a shouting match with the manager I ended up having a second unwanted pair of tracksuit bottoms! :grind:

Anybody else been "conned" like this? Surley there is something in a consumer sales act that says I can have a refund if I didn''t want the item?
(Yes - I had the reciept)

Won't be going to SportsWorld again though - one lost future customer...:grind:

jellybaby
05-02-2006, 16:00
I believe that unless the item is faulty, it is up to them whether they refund or offer a credit note

LSainsbury
05-02-2006, 16:04
I believe that unless the item is faulty, it is up to them whether they refund or offer a credit note

If I know that at the time I would have bought only one pair and took them back if they didn't fit.

Any other shop would have given a refund if the item didn't fit - no questions, so what makes SportsWorld different? Is it becuase they can sell their stuff so SO cheap??

Russ
05-02-2006, 16:04
I think they're actually in the right but a little discretion wouldn't bankrupt them.

ian@huth
05-02-2006, 16:06
There is no consumer law that enables you to get a refund on unwanted items unless they were bought online or via the telephone when distance selling laws allow a cooling off period. When buying from a shop you need to verify their position on the subject before making your purchase. You have a right to get a refund if the goods are faulty but not if they don't fit, don't look right or you have changed your mind. Many shops will refund you as a goodwill gesture but they are not legally obliged to.

LSainsbury
05-02-2006, 16:24
Thanks for all the comments. I'll be a bit more aware when buying two of one item with the intention to take the non-fitting item back for a refund!

nffc
05-02-2006, 21:34
Put a hole in it then say you've found a fault in it? :erm:

Err, you bought 2 pairs of tracky bottoms? :shrug:

Stuart
05-02-2006, 22:20
Surely they had fitting rooms in the shop?

nffc
05-02-2006, 22:36
Surely they had fitting rooms in the shop?
Sportsworld? :LOL:

timewarrior2001
05-02-2006, 23:01
I always thought that your statutory rights said you coujld return for a full refund within seven days provided you had a receipt.

Shop policy does NOT always coincide with their legal rights.

a online computer shop, aq very cheap one has tried several times to call my bluff and every time trading standards have written to them on my behalf.

actually no I am wrong, you are only entitled to a refund if the goods are defective.
anything offered by other shops is an addition to your rights.

My advice, report them to the press for their mean and customer unfriendly ways.
get them bad press and it will look bad on the local manager.

Marge
05-02-2006, 23:11
TW, with the best will in the world the shop haven't done anything wrong, I can't see it making front page headlines cos they won't refund cash and have offered a credit note (which they didn't have to do ;) ) Moral of the story: always ask at the till about returning stuff and if they don't do refunds, go somewhere that does and give them your hard earned cash oops: