PDA

View Full Version : Ramrod or ikthius - Some advice please

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2006, 20:20
Hey guys,
I seem to remember your either Gym instructors or physios but i wanted some help or advice with a bit of neck pain i've been having.

It seems to happen every day from about 4 or 5pm onwards and last till i goto bed, but its always fine when i wake in the morning.

It feels like its about half way down the neck on my left hand side, always in the same place.

I've been to the physio at the gym a couple of times and had sholder, back and neck massages, but it keeps coming back.

Any ideas or advice?

LemonyBrainAid
04-02-2006, 20:24
Rammy's a bonecracker.. Salu - CF's resident medic may also be able to help you

Bex
04-02-2006, 20:25
Hey guys,
I seem to remember your either Gym instructors or physios but i wanted some help or advice with a bit of neck pain i've been having.

It seems to happen every day from about 4 or 5pm onwards and last till i goto bed, but its always fine when i wake in the morning.

It feels like its about half way down the neck on my left hand side, always in the same place.

I've been to the physio at the gym a couple of times and had sholder, back and neck massages, but it keeps coming back.

Any ideas or advice?

do you work on a pc all day? could it be due to the way you sit at work?
or have you got a lot of stess in your life at the moment?

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2006, 20:28
Not much stress but i do sit at a PC most days with work, but i do watch how i sit and recenlty bought a posture/ kneeling chair as well (for this reason), chair makes me sit better but the pain is still there.

marky
04-02-2006, 20:34
I'm no doc, but cervical spondulitis <excuse the spelling, springs to mind,
Its a form of osteo arthritis and very painfull.:(

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2006, 20:54
I'm no doc, but cervical spondulitis <excuse the spelling, springs to mind,
Its a form of osteo arthritis and very painfull.:(

Thank you for scaring the hell out of me...

The most common symptom is pain in the neck, worsening with exertion and relieved, in the early stages, by rest. This pain often radiates down to the hand, with the fingers becoming numb due to compression of the nerves that innervate the upper extremity.

None of that, just a bit of neck pain.

Examination often shows limited ability to bend the head toward the shoulders and limited ability to rotate the head. The goal of treatment is relief of pain and prevention of permanent spinal cord and nerve root injury.

No problems there either.

marky
04-02-2006, 21:00
Told you i wasnt a doctor, it just sounds familier thats all, give it a few years ;)

Edit> I miss your old Avatar

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2006, 21:12
Edit> I miss your old Avatar

Yeah, im not as good looking as her.

It'll be back one day - perhaps nearer the World Cup. :D

ikthius
04-02-2006, 21:48
muscular pain?
or does it seem like your neck is stiff to the point you need it cracked?

ik

edit: thanks for thinking of me in your hour of need :D

EDIT: I will be back online tomorrow sometime BR.

in the mean time,
if you can stretch your neck muscles each side back and forward hold each for 20-30 seconds twist your neck each side for same time.

if you need to crack your neck, not totally recommended, then shake your head from side to side gently until your neck cracks, that relieves my pressure but only temporarily.

.......it sounds as if your spinal alignment might be slightly out.

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2006, 22:13
muscular pain?
or does it seem like your neck is stiff to the point you need it cracked?

ik

edit: thanks for thinking of me in your hour of need :D

EDIT: I will be back online tomorrow sometime BR.

in the mean time,
if you can stretch your neck muscles each side back and forward hold each for 20-30 seconds twist your neck each side for same time.

if you need to crack your neck, not totally recommended, then shake your head from side to side gently until your neck cracks, that relieves my pressure but only temporarily.

.......it sounds as if your spinal alignment might be slightly out.

Thanks man - will do, any idea how often i should do this?

My neck isnt stiff, but it does just feel like it needs cracked sometimes, (no jokes please :D) Like if i could just crack it in the right spot it would sort it.

Dont know if that makes any sense... :tu:

Ramrod
04-02-2006, 22:38
My first thought is that it's postural. Probably not osteoarthritis (spondylitis) - you're too young.....unless you have had previous significant injury to your neck 5 plus years ago. Do you perhaps wedge your telephone handset between your left shoulder and ear?
Go see a BCA registered Chiropractor, it probably won't need much treatment to fix and you would get an accurate diagnosis.......
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it. :)

TheBlueRaja
04-02-2006, 23:01
My first thought is that it's postural. Probably not osteoarthritis (spondylitis) - you're too young.....unless you have had previous significant injury to your neck 5 plus years ago. Do you perhaps wedge your telephone handset between your left shoulder and ear?
Go see a BCA registered Chiropractor, it probably won't need much treatment to fix and you would get an accurate diagnosis.......
Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it. :)

Thanks Ramrod.

No none of that - like i said im quite careful with that sort of thing and am trying to sort out any kind of posture issue with the kneeler.

Chiropractors - do i do that via the Doc or just find one in yellow pages?

Wonder if my works BUPA cover would help me out with that?

yesman
04-02-2006, 23:10
I had a similar problem a few years ago, and I found just by coincidence that if I stood next to an extreme source of heat, such as a halogen room heater, the pain disappeared.

Just my tuppence worth :)

ikthius
05-02-2006, 10:23
No none of that - like i said im quite careful with that sort of thing and am trying to sort out any kind of posture issue with the kneeler.

Wonder if my works BUPA cover would help me out with that?
BR

Chiropractors you contact.

I have been to one, but it was in kirkintilloch, not sure where you live, there is also a really good one in the temple region of anniesland, between morrisons & lock 27.

They are expensive, but they will crack your neck better than you could, you may feel like they are about to break your neck, but it is safe, and I for one love having my neck & spine cracked, it frees everything.

it definitely sounds postural, there is lots you can do to help, but even just a small misalignment in your jaw can put out your whole back e.g. if you stand like the image below, this is what roughly happens to allign your body.

ik

p.s. in the image there is an extra bit of spine, this is the sacral & coccygeal part of the spine, not a wee man!!!

p.p.s some of the stretches, do each side, you may want to hold your head with your hands, as this takes the stress out of your other side of your neck muscles. e.g. stretch left and hold with your right hand over your head to hold the stretch to your right side, vice versa etc.

Ramrod
05-02-2006, 12:34

Wonder if my works BUPA cover would help me out with that?Yellow Pages..just make sure that the chiro you see is a member of the British Chiropractic Assoc.
If you have BUPA then you are sorted, they will cover you if the chiro is registered with BUPA. :tu:

Bex
05-02-2006, 12:39
Yellow Pages..just make sure that the chiro you see is a member of the British Chiropractic Assoc.
If you have BUPA then you are sorted, they will cover you if the chiro is registered with BUPA. :tu:

but bupa may say that you have to be GP referred before they will cover the claim

TheBlueRaja
05-02-2006, 13:11
Thanks a lot guys (and girls) for the help, i will check with BUPA tomorrow and see what the score is.

And ikthius, thanks for the excercises and advice, i try it out and see if it helps.

BR :tu:

ikthius
05-02-2006, 15:15
Thanks a lot guys (and girls) for the help, i will check with BUPA tomorrow and see what the score is.

And ikthius, thanks for the excercises and advice, i try it out and see if it helps.

BR :tu:
good luck dude.

I just wish my sore back at the mo would go away, as I have a very sore chest and upper back only when I cough, sneeze and blow my nose, but then again I have a virus of some kind as I am slightly under the weather.

ik

p.s. BR did you understand the exercises?

Ramrod
05-02-2006, 15:23
but bupa may say that you have to be GP referred before they will cover the claimDepends on who you talk to at BUPA :disturbd:
But Bex is correct......speak to them first to see what they want....also, I have had many BUPA patients get a retroactive GP referral.

TheBlueRaja
06-02-2006, 09:55
p.s. BR did you understand the exercises?

Yeah i did understand them, thanks for the drawings (good skillz BTW :D )