PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Identify Cable Modem???

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 18:35
ok I tried to upgrade my speed online but I get the following:

Unable to Identify Cable Modem Unable to identify the cable modem MAC (or Ethernet) address. Please reboot your PC and Cable Modem and try again. If you need further help, please contact our customer support (0800 052 2000).

When you call customer support, you may be asked for the following information:
Application ntl: Broadband Internet - Connection Speed Upgrade
Date & Time 04/02/2006 at 18:32
Your username acoolwelshbloke
Your Cable Modem Mac Address unable to detect
please look on the cable modem or cable modem packaging
Your Surname
Your Postcode

I have done the old reboot thing but still the same, I have XP media centre and Norton Internet Security 2006 would that be the problem?

JonathanLH
04-02-2006, 18:48
shouldn't be a problem, since the cable modem's mac address is stored on the cable modem, and is accessed by ntl via the private hfc ip of the cable modem.
at least, i think that's correct :)

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 18:53
Yea I know, but it won't detect it! Tried everything I can think of. It's the NTL:250 modem and is connected via eithernet. My BB is working fine just cannot update it online. Don't know if there is a problem with NTL or if there is something on my PC stopping it being disclosed like NIS 2006?

bonzoe
04-02-2006, 19:02
I agree with JonathanLH, don't see what effect your PC can have on the WAN side of the modem. Suggest you ring CS.

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 19:17
Ok guess I'll do that, might just stay on the teir im on now. Can't be bothered to call them. On another note my modems enet & rec lights have been flashing like mad since I tried to upgrade?

I have run a scan for spyware with spybot & microsofts antispyware and a virus/spyware check with norton 2006 and all is showing as being clean. I have rebooted the modem and PC however continues to flash like mad???

Anyone know why?

Other than that all seems fine! (Should have left alone in the first place I think)

bonzoe
04-02-2006, 19:22
Perhaps attempting to upgrade modem, get MAC address?

Jon T
04-02-2006, 19:36
The modem's enet and rec lights flashing are just symptoms of broadcast packets on the ntl network, it's a fundamental part of how TCP/IP works that every device connected to the network will recieve any broadcast traffic on it.

Probably someone local to you that has got a virus infection or spyware.

maverick
04-02-2006, 19:39
Using a proxie server can cause this problem,untick this option if you are using one and try again.

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 19:47
The modem's enet and rec lights flashing are just symptoms of broadcast packets on the ntl network, it's a fundamental part of how TCP/IP works that every device connected to the network will recieve any broadcast traffic on it.

Probably someone local to you that has got a virus infection or spyware.

strange how it only started when i tried to upgrade.

Using a proxie server can cause this problem,untick this option if you are using one and try again.
as far as im aware i am not using a proxy other than what ntl have me on their end!

marky
04-02-2006, 19:53
I had to delete my network connection, then create a new one, reboot and it was fine :)

maverick
04-02-2006, 19:53
Check you have not manually specified any proxie server addresses in internet options,this is located under the connection tab and lan settings.

Using the automatic proxie from ntl will not cause the problem but a specified one will.

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 19:56
Check you have not manually specified any proxie server addresses in internet options,this is located under the connection tab and lan settings.

Using the automatic proxie from ntl will not cause the problem but a specified one will.

No I have none there it's all empty, still flashing like crazy after 20 mins! I have even turned off the modem for five mins but no change.....

hehehe i'm waiting for it to start smoking!

thank god im unlimited! this would all add up over time!

Chris W
04-02-2006, 19:56
just checking, but you are using a stand alone cable modem not a set top box for your internet connection aren't you??

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 20:32
I had to delete my network connection, then create a new one, reboot and it was fine :)

if i do the same will i have to re-register the modem?

i don't have the pin or password now

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

just checking, but you are using a stand alone cable modem not a set top box for your internet connection aren't you??

yes i am, it's the new 250 one connected via eithernet.

never had any probs until i just tried to upgrade...:dozey:

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Ok this is doing my head in now, I have replaced my network card "just in case" but I can't access the net with that at all?

So I had to put the old one back in instead!

Anyone know why it is not working with a new ethernet card?

marky
04-02-2006, 20:48
If the modem is registered, you wont need the pin or password, but a simple call to cs will solve that, they will give it to you :)

UncleBooBoo
04-02-2006, 21:06
No good to me at present as their closed till monday, anyway I have managed to get the modem to work on the new network card. And the flashing lights have finally stopped!

I don't know whether or not to try the upgrade process again or not!

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Ok well i'll post here just in case anyone else has the same problem as I had, I had two network cards in my machine because upuntil of late I had two computers sharing my BB, I have a built in ethernet card on my motherboard that was connected to a second pc via a cross over cable. I installed a PCI ethernet card as a second port for my cable modem!

I removed the second PC about a month ago and disabled that ethernet card leaving my PCI card as it was connected to the cable modem!

For some reason, when I tried to upgrade my speed it caused all sorts of probs. I have connected my modem via the original ethernet now which is installed on the motherboard. I managed to get it to work by using the ipconfig command in dos.

All is ok now, I now am able to access the upgrade screen too!

Scope
04-02-2006, 23:43
I've had the same problem for a couple of years now.. Rang CS about this about a year ago, they were unable to do anything.. I also had one of the Mods on this board (working for NTL) look into it for me, and no luck.

I've got my stand alone modem connected to a router, so no 2 network cards like acoolwelchbloke, but im pretty sure ive tried it connected directly to the PC aswell.